For Sale: 1961 Dodge Dart Phoenix Convertible D500 361 4bbl 4-speed - $35,000 - Woodinville, WA - Not Mine

For Sale: 1961 Dodge Dart Phoenix Convertible D500 361 4bbl 4-speed - $35,000 - Woodinville, WA

1961 Dodge Phoenix for sale by owner - Woodinville, WA - craigslist
Seller's Description:

selling a 1961 Dodge Phoenix convertible factory D500 361 4-barrel 4 speed car, in restored condition.... silver with red interior...everything rebuilt.... few options.... manual steering and brakes.... heavy duty suspension with 3.23 sure grip...everything works...very fast nice rust-free car. odometer: 88000
Copy and paste in your email: 31fcfba7827c3c4f90203674e1b3fa30@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1961 Dodge Dart Phoenix Convertible D500 361 4bbl 4-speed.

'61 Dodge Phoenix conv D500 WA a.jpg

'61 Dodge Phoenix conv D500 WA b.jpg

'61 Dodge Phoenix conv D500 WA c.jpg

'61 Dodge Phoenix conv D500 WA d.jpg

'61 Dodge Phoenix conv D500 WA e.jpg

'61 Dodge Phoenix conv D500 WA f.jpg

'61 Dodge Phoenix conv D500 WA g.jpg

'61 Dodge Phoenix conv D500 WA h.jpg

'61 Dodge Phoenix conv D500 WA i.jpg

'61 Dodge Phoenix conv D500 WA j.jpg

'61 Dodge Phoenix conv D500 WA k.jpg

'61 Dodge Phoenix conv D500 WA l.jpg

'61 Dodge Phoenix conv D500 WA m.jpg

'61 Dodge Phoenix conv D500 WA n.jpg

• Like 7

I have never seen a Dodge this year with a four speed factory installation.  And only a couple with 361s. And a convertible to boot.  In this case I believe the word rare applies.  About the price, maybe so. The air up there is too thin for me.

Edited by plymouthcranbrook (see edit history)
  • Like 1

A very unique car in more ways than one. However it seems to have a rather high stance compared to other Darts of the same model and year. Maybe it's because of the heavy-duty suspension the seller claims and/or the result of new components used in the restoration that haven't had time to settle in.

1961 Dodge Dart For Sale | St. Louis Car Museum1960-61 Dodge Polara & Dart Phoenix Convertible Tops and Convertible Top  Parts

Wow. Just wow. This Dodge is amazing, and you will have the only one at the car show!

It does seem to sit a bit high. Hopefully the new suspension just needs to settle. Or load it up with five friends and it will sit just right!

That Mercury is also very cool. It’s great that it survived seemingly intact.  I’d go with the Dodge because I like convertibles. 

Never seen one of these before.  Between the two mentioned here, I'd have to go with the Dodge.  The convertible, big motor, four-speed combination makes me go "Oooooo, Oooooo..."

image.jpeg.56e492506e1d3b9f06c05c15cd9a6b5b.jpeg

The quirky styling is icing on the cake!  ;)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Is this the cat's meow, or what? Stunning car, I like the silver exterior that gives this a subtle elegance and the very classy red interior. I do not think that you would run into a similar car as this in your neighborhood. My best friend had a '62 Galaxie (not XL) back when I was just out of high school, which he traded for a '63 XL both cars had the 406 and both were very fast. That said, I would prefer the Dodge as the Merc needs paint and a very nice paint job would run about 20K putting the price of that Merc at 55K. This Dodge is done and looks beautiful. 

Edited by kingrudy (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StillOutThere said:

Chrysler used the French Pont-a-Mousson 4 speed manual in their '64 300F Gran Turismo. And did not have a MoPar 4 speed manual until 1964.

So maybe it was originally a three speed on the floor?

The pushbutton delete looks real to me.

On 10/19/2023 at 10:55 PM, 7th Son said:

A very unique car in more ways than one. However it seems to have a rather high stance compared to other Darts of the same model and year. Maybe it's because of the heavy-duty suspension the seller claims and/or the result of new components used in the restoration that haven't had time to settle in.

1961 Dodge Dart For Sale | St. Louis Car Museum1960-61 Dodge Polara & Dart Phoenix Convertible Tops and Convertible Top  Parts

I have been eyeballing that black one for a couple of years. It has the cross rams and cast headers. Pretty sure it is as original.

My father had a 60 with the pushbutton automatic. The styling with a bit less dramatic but still distinctive. I most vivid memory was the car's ability to burn out a ballast resistor at the most inopportune moment. Dad kept spares in the glove box for the eventuality...

2 hours ago, jimkf said:

the car's ability to burn out a ballast resistor at the most inopportune moment. Dad kept spares in the glove box for the eventuality...

I worked at NAPA in the ‘80s. I used to know the Chrysler ballast resistor part number off the top of my head. And of course the symptoms. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 10/19/2023 at 9:15 PM, alsancle said:

It is either real or somebody spent a pile of money making it.

I would have to think carefully which I would rather have. This was at Hershey for similar money.

IMG_3302.jpeg

IMG_3299.jpeg

IMG_3300.jpeg

IMG_3301.jpeg

That's a tough choice, but the Merc wins for me! The 406 4 speed 3X2 does it. I had a 1969 Merc Cyclone that had a very wild 428 engine done up with one of those 3X2 set ups. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My grandmother loved Lawrence Welk, so we had to watch it every Saturday night. After the Wilburn Brothers and Porter Wagoner of course. Saturday night supper was usually hot dogs and Phillips brand pork and beans.

With Welk's accent, when he cut to the Dodge commercials, "Dodge Dart" sounded like "Dodge Dodge" to my 5 year old self. I wondered why a car would be a "Dodge Dodge". There were no "Ford Fords" or "Chevy Chevys".

Top down, this Dart looks a little less bizarre.

I sometimes wonder what kind of drugs Chrysler's 1960-62 era stylists were on. The only cars any more bizarre were late-70s Datsuns. I actually sat there stunned with my mouth open the first time I saw an F10.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...