RARE 1958 PACKARD 4 DOOR STATION WAGON for sale, not mine

Thanks for posting this truly rare find.  Someone with

a taste for the unusual might really like this car.

Those fins really add useless length to the wagon:

See how far they protrude past the tailgate!

The auctioneer does a good job of pictures--dozens.

I wonder whether correct front seats could be found

to replace the incorrect modern front seats.  Perhaps

from a Studebaker?  Would they be unique for a wagon?

In my eye, the fin-atop-fin style looks especially unusual

on a station wagon.  And for the record, here is some

more information about the auction:

Puslinch, Ontario, Oct. 2 to 23, 2023  [21 days long?]

Shackelton Auctions Inc.

Telephone 519-765-4450

1958 Packard wagon 2.jpg

1958 Packard wagon 3.jpg

1958 Packard wagon 5.jpg

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 3

The '53 Studebaker and later Lark may in fact be better looking and maybe even more practical (unless you want to haul a credenza?). However that Packard is so bizarre looking that I like it!

I would have to win a major lottery before I would consider buying something like that, however, because it really isn't my thing. There would be at least a hundred cars I would have to have first.

• Like 2

Although the excesses of the styling really are indefensible, reiteration of prior comments on the context of these unfortunate last Packards are in order:

The 1958 Studebakers and Packards show what a car company on the verge of bankruptcy can afford to do to somehow update their existing styling in a vain attempt to compete with far better financed and equipped competitors.   If you read the book Champion of the Lark, Harold Churchill and the Presidency of Studebaker-Packard, 1956-1961 by Robert R, Ebert you'll understand how touch-and-go it was month-to-month throughout 1957-'58 just to keep the lights on, the employees paid and ongoing automaking operations until the compact Lark could reach the market.   

The 1958 Packards were largely irrelevant to the survival of the company, presented to fulfill dealer contracts and if possible, keep the Packard nameplate on the market in the event future profitability allow the creation of a proper all-new Packard.   The fact that the last products to carry the once-glorious nameplate were such a compromised set of unattractive and ultimately unsuccessful cars emphasizes the dire circumstances under which they came to be.  However, no marque nameplate, once withdraw from the market, had ever been successfully reintroduced.   Some cite Rambler as an example to the contrary though the 37-year absence of was long enough to refresh the nameplate, at least for a model name.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

However, no marque nameplate, once withdraw from the market, had ever been successfully reintroduced.   Some cite Rambler as an example to the contrary though the 37-year absence of was long enough to refresh the nameplate, at least for a model name.

While this is generally true, Bugatti and Indian seem to be heathy after their reintroductions. Scout will be reintroduced in a few years.

3 minutes ago, CarNucopia said:

While this is generally true, Bugatti and Indian seem to be heathy after their reintroductions. Scout will be reintroduced in a few years.

For reintroduction of a nameplate to succeed, it seems to require some decades to elapse for the aura of failure to be replaced by nostalgia which makes the nameplate desirable again.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

For reintroduction of a nameplate to succeed, it seems to require some decades to elapse for the aura of failure to be replaced by nostalgia which makes the nameplate desirable again.

...or for the old farts, who were there to see the old marque crash and burn, to die off, and take the memory with them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2