Thunder Road - movie from 1957

Buick35

I watched. How come the old '50 and '57 Fords sometime sounded like a healthy V8 and other times sounded like a straight six with split manifold. I like these old movies but the sound effects like I mentioned or like squealing ties on dirt roads really annoy me for some reason. 

• Like 2

It's been years since I've seen that movie...I don't know if I'm remembering it exactly right. It's strange to watch old movies with cool old cars and see how unkempt they look onscreen. I know that Thunder Road is about bootleggers and mountain roads, so it won't have clean cars, but in a lot of other old movies it looks like they didn't bother to wash the cars before filming. That always kind of bothers me. (They should be waxed, too. 😄) Here's an old comedy from the 1960's that I saw the other day that has lots of full clear shots of old clean cars.

I've read movie cars are dirty or dull so reflections won't show up in camera angles.

Thunder Road  is a movie of its times. I enjoy watching it once in a while. Surprised it's never been remade but IMO any remake would do great disservice to the original.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It is difficult to imagine anyone in the Lucas Doolin role that isn’t Robert Mitchum.

The movie is more than a little hokey, but it worked because most movies were pretty hokey in those days.

I have the movie on DVD.  I watch it every 3-4 years, but struggle to get through certain parts.  

I hope that a remake of this movie never happens.  It would probably have Vin Diesel in the Mitchum role.

Gag.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, pkhammer said:

I watched. How come the old '50 and '57 Fords sometime sounded like a healthy V8 and other times sounded like a straight six with split manifold. I like these old movies but the sound effects like I mentioned or like squealing ties on dirt roads really annoy me for some reason. 

That's why when it was new it was always the second or third feature at the Drive In Movie.   Girls didn't like and if you didn't have a date, why were you still there that late?

• Haha 1

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Thunder Road - movie from 1957
24 minutes ago, Paul Dobbin said:

That's why when it was new it was always the second or third feature at the Drive In Movie.   Girls didn't like and if you didn't have a date, why were you still there that late?

Well, that's what happens on "B" features. It does feature the very good singer Keely Smith though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dosmo said:

It is difficult to imagine anyone in the Lucas Doolin role that isn’t Robert Mitchum.

I hope that a remake of this movie never happens.  It would probably have Vin Diesel in the Mitchum role.

Eww.

Coming from a family with moonshine and bootlegging in its history as late as the early 1960s, I can say it was considered an honorable way to provide for a family. Just didn't give the feds their cut.

Hm. Illicit likker and tobacco. Guess we were purveyors of vice! Never mind it was always high-quality vice, but vice all the same!😁

Dang, what would have happened if the ancestors had figured out how to farm weed?

Enjoy. Complete with early 50s Dodge.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Pfeil said:

Well, that's what happens on "B" features. It does feature the very good singer Keely Smith though.

I always like it when we can tie car related stuff to a great Jazz Singer.  Keely's voice was butter.  I'd forgotten about her till you mentioned her and then spent some time listening to her last night.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, John Bloom said:

I always like it when we can tie car related stuff to a great Jazz Singer.  Keely's voice was butter.  I'd forgotten about her till you mentioned her and then spent some time listening to her last night.  

For some reason when I was younger (60 years ago) I always associated Smith with Louis Prima. It wasn't until later that I realized how good she was, kind of like Jo Stafford.

FYI, today is another to pay tribute, pause and remember Tony Bennett's passing today. 8/3/26-7/21/23  

Louis Prima Just A Gigolo I Ain't Got Nobody - YouTube

Tony Bennett - I Left My Heart in San Francisco ... - YouTube

• Like 3

22 hours ago, JamesR said:

It's strange to watch old movies with cool old cars and see how unkempt they look onscreen. I know that Thunder Road is about bootleggers and mountain roads, so it won't have clean cars, but in a lot of other old movies it looks like they didn't bother to wash the cars before filming. That always kind of bothers me. (They should be waxed, too. 😄

I have always found it kind of ridiculous to show clean and waxed old cars in a movie about a specific time period. I just noticed this in the Spielberg movie "The Fabelmans" and it drove me nuts. If you look at most real car photos from past times the cars are often dirty and definitely not waxed because they were actually being used.

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

milk1.jpg

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, TexRiv_63 said:

I have always found it kind of ridiculous to show clean and waxed old cars in a movie about a specific time period. I just noticed this in the Spielberg movie "The Fabelmans" and it drove me nuts. If you look at most real car photos from past times the cars are often dirty and definitely not waxed because they were actually being used.

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

milk1.jpg

That just depends on who you are and how you were brought up.

I don't like dirty cars-outside, inside, trunk and especially the engine compartment, and neither did my dad.

I love this picture of Perry Masons 1957 Skyliner, nice and shiny. As the English would say " Just the job"!

IMCDb.org: 1957 Ford Fairlane 500 Skyliner Retractable Hardtop [51A] in "Perry  Mason, 1957-1966"

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TexRiv_63 said:

I have always found it kind of ridiculous to show clean and waxed old cars in a movie about a specific time period. I just noticed this in the Spielberg movie "The Fabelmans" and it drove me nuts.

You make a good point, but my view is that if Hollywood is going to take artistic license with everything else, they should do it with car cleanliness, too.

5 minutes ago, JamesR said:

You make a good point, but my view is that if Hollywood is going to take artistic license with everything else, they should do it with car cleanliness, too.

Make sense to me. However, they might start out clean but don't always end up that way.

image.jpeg.3bd4dbce3187b3dd9c926c172daf18a2.jpegimage.jpeg.fd016b3e73decde5b7cdec9807d9f58b.jpegimage.jpeg.4eab3d44f0a60c6f87acd98811572afc.jpegimage.jpeg.cd45ff8bc4ace39c8165c8ee9731c128.jpegCC Cinema: The Cars Of It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World | Curbside ClassicIt's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World, with 1962 Chrysler Imperial Convertible

And I just love Ethel Merman upside down!

image.jpeg.f66bdd10eb5ec0189e71d4f61a97299c.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For years (and maybe still today) movie producers made contracts (sponsorships) with a specific car company to feature primarily their cars in a movie for big money (or coke, cereal you name it) and part of that stipulated in most cases that the cars be new models and in attractive condition. All part of using a popular movie as a subliminal (or overt) marketing ploy. and if a sponsored Ford could be seen outracing a Chevrolet/Dodge, all the better. Only old car guys cared about the unreality of it all!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Gunsmoke said:

For years (and maybe still today) movie producers made contracts (sponsorships) with a specific car company to feature primarily their cars in a movie for big money (or coke, cereal you name it) and part of that stipulated in most cases that the cars be new models and in attractive condition. All part of using a popular movie as a subliminal (or overt) marketing ploy. and if a sponsored Ford could be seen outracing a Chevrolet/Dodge, all the better. Only old car guys cared about the unreality of it all!

Look at Leave it to Beaver. The show started off with 1957 Fords and in 1959 to the end of the series in Plymouth, also all the cars on the street were Chrysler products, except for Lumpy's 1940 Ford and Wally's brief 36 Ford and his 53 Chevy.

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

On 7/20/2023 at 9:59 AM, Gunsmoke said:

Watched it last night on Turner Classic Movies (TCM), first time for me, a bit hokey with predictable ending. Robert Mitchum plays his usual cool character, interesting to see his son James also in cast. As for the cars, MEH! 

His younger son Chris also appeared as the kid drumming on the washtub at the general store dance.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

Guys who didn't have dates sometimes went to the drive-in as a group, often smuggled in the car's trunk. 🤣

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pfeil said:

Make sense to me. However, they might start out clean but don't always end up that way.

It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World is one of my favorite old car movies, though I admit that the cars weren't that old when I first saw it! Jonathan Winters on the "little girl's bike" is one of my favorite scenes. 😆

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JamesR said:

It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World is one of my favorite old car movies, though I admit that the cars weren't that old when I first saw it! Jonathan Winters on the "little girl's bike" is one of my favorite scenes. 😆

Jack Benny's car was pretty old. image.jpeg.5d0b2ae2ad33c27acf1c0ab91ecbdfca.jpegimage.jpeg.9220fd287a8acbd6d9f6114ae42e7638.jpeg

Phil Silvers FordFord Super De Luxe in "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" | Classic cars  trucks, Mad world, Fordimage.jpeg.2c9abc2777604bfe480595e0d27a8b23.jpegimage.jpeg.9c9501c866e6385c52ae86aeb089f465.jpeg

• Like 1

The song is one of my all time favorite songs. 

If I ever get talked into doing the karaoke thing that one of our local car shows does, there's a very good chance I'll request that. 

I've seen the movie but I'm not really a movie person. It wasn't bad but I just naturally dislike watching movies.