1953 Studebaker Champion VS 1953 Pontiac Chiefton

Matt129

I know these are two very different cars, but I have a dilemma. I have a 1953 studebaker champion Starlight coupe project car. It’s in decent condition but needs a lot of work before it could be out on the road. Someone approached me and they are willing to trade a 1953 Pontiac Chiefton with the straight 8 and the hydromatic 4 speed auto. It’s in really decent condition, runs and drives good, paint isn’t horrible, comes with a lot of spare parts etc. should I go for the trade? The Studebaker is rarer but needs a lot of work. The Pontiac isn’t worth as much since it’s not as rare, but it.runs and drives and I could drive it down the road no issue. Any input is appreciated! 

How much time do you have to work on the Studebaker ? Can you do the "lot of work" it needs? do you have the equipment.?

Do you want to be driving down the road before the end of this year? next year?  Even if the Pontiac is on the road I would still have it checked out in all mechanical aspects first .

• Like 2

Sometimes the projects with no end in sight get you looking for something else that does hold promise of being on the road.  What to do depends on your goals.  Some people find working on the car as their enjoyment and sell it when it’s done so they have another project to start.  Personally I like a mix of working and driving with more emphasis on the driving.

• Like 3

My garage is filled with projects that i will never finish.  Age sneaks up on you along with health problems.  I would trade in a heartbeat and enjoy driving the Pontiac down the road.  Join the Early Times Chapter for great help and support.  Down the road you can pick up a project if time and finances allow.  Just my TCW

• Like 5

I would take the Pontiac even though I love the Starlight coupe. Have you driven the Pontiac? Do you like it? Is it a good car or at least does not need major work?

I don't know your taste in cars but since you asked, suppose you must like the Pontiac enough to at least consider it. Only you can decide if you would be happy with the swap.

• Like 1

I'm a big Studebaker fan, yet have never owned one. I'm also something of a fan of the "Silver Streak" era Pontiacs. A very tough call, but I think I'd make the trade. Straight eights are a great conversation starter, aside from being smooth and easy to work on. I don't see these cars as being all that common. My gut tells me, either way you go, you haven't lost.

• Like 2

I never owned a Stude, but my 52 Pontiac is a wonderful, very reliable car, that gets a lot of attention. The straight eight is a smooth running engine and the hydramatic just perfect with it. Brakes are really good on these cars, too, and the silver streak theme makes these cars outstanding.... But it depends on if you want to drive or wrench in the first place. I miss the cars most that I didn't buy or gave up on. To have one classic you can enjoy already while you work on another, that's what I would do. For me the driving experience is the thing. 

Another vote for the Pontiac. As much as I like Studebakers, and as much as I really like those 53s, a Studebaker Champion is a small economy six that is going to seem fairly underpowered in today's world. If it happens to have overdrive, that's better but still those are what... 170 cubic inches or so?

A Pontiac Eight with a Hydramatic isn't a super fast car either, but could be a solid cross country car that can deal with Interstates once you get it sorted. It is more comparable to a Commander than a Champion, and you can drive it now.

8 hours ago, Hans1965 said:

To have one classic you can enjoy already while you work on another, that's what I would do

I have had that thought most all of the decades I collected and worked on cars. If you get tired of working on one car then a drive in a working example can justify why you are spending all that time, effort and $ on the one "in need" you are working on.

• Like 4

Since no pictures were included, I had to go to Google and find something to help me decide what I would do if I were in your shoes. The big factor in my view is the long term desirability of each car. Assuming they look somewhat like these 2 photos, my vote goes to the Studebaker, a car that is both so stylish and rarer. While a Poncho runner is always popular at shows etc, it is pretty stodgy and the Studebakers draw much more attention. So it likely comes down to "are you ready to invest time and have some fun doing so", or are you "tired of project work/expense and want fun driving". As someone said above, your money, your time, your call. 

1953 Studebaker starlight Coupe.jpg

1953 Pontiac Chieftain.jpeg

• Like 1

The Pontiac has a high cool factor with the straight eight, but the '53 Studebaker Starlight and Starliner coupes are much more historically significant, in my humble opinion, not too mention maybe the most attractive American cars of the era. It's a tough call, as I can appreciate the looks on the one hand, and that life is short on the other. I like the Studebaker better, but it comes down to how burned out you are  on the refurbishment or restoration process. Owning an old car should feel like a blessing, but sometimes it feels like being sentenced to years of hard labor. Good luck.

• Like 1

I never really liked the Studebakers of this era, to me the typical small European like coupe, special maybe for that reason. The Pontiacs have a huge presence, at least for me.... But I am European and like these big GM cars partly for their sheer size, the Pontiacs for their Indian theme, the hood ornament etc....

OP hasn't posted any pics of the two cars that are available for trade but I'll assume the actual 1953 Pontiac Chieftain 8 involved might look more like this typical American model than the blue-gray Canadian 1953 (part-Chevrolet) Pontiac Pathfinder 6 pictured above with its Powerglide and a 115" WB. A 1953 American Pontiac Chieftain 8 has the Dual-Range Hydramatic on a larger 122" WB. I'll admit I am very biased toward straight eight Pontiacs since I have been driving one for the past twelve years but again, it's your call. 

IMG_1509.JPG

As a lifelong Studebaker guy I suppose that I should at least make an effort here. The Studebaker stands alone as one of the post-war modern classics. How attached are you to the Studebaker? Depending on what it needs parts are readily available for the Studebaker. 

Condition really is a major concern. If I had the Studebaker in front of me I could probably vet the condition in 10-15 minutes. Does the Stude run, how about rust issues? Is the Pontiac a two or four door? Have you ever restored a car before?

What you really need is someone who knows something about these cars to take a look at each. If you want to give me your location I may be able to use the Studebaker network to take a look. Bottom line we really need more information

Back in the 1980s I had family acquaintance selling a some of his old cars. With the money I had available it was a choice between a 1966 Dodge Charger and a 1968 Plymouth Barracuda.

Charger was a 383 4bbl, PS/PB, factory A/C, bucket seats/console, black with white interior. Engine was out of the car and all the trim was removed as the seller had bought it as a project, so non-running

Barracuda was a slant six, bench seat, ran and drove but needed new tires. Dark green exterior, black interior, and green vinyl top, somewhat ugly in my opinion at the time. 

So which one did I buy? Being 17 at the time of course I went for the car with the big block and bucket seats, the Charger. The car sat for years as I didn't have the time or money to fix it up. Then after moving out on my own, no space for this non-drivable car. Ended up selling it. 

Hindsight being 20/20, if I would have bought the Barracuda I would have been able to enjoy it from day one instead of telling stories about "when I get that Charger running".

Unless there is some very strong personal connection to the Studebaker I would trade for the Pontiac and start enjoying your old car now instead of when "I get the Studebaker back on the road".

Edited by ia-k (see edit history)
  • Like 3