Can take more photos of frame

CountryGirl36

Still enjoying your daily updates. You may need to make a wire armature (like they do for dinosaurs, crashed planes) and add the various pieces where you think they go. Once frame is upright and straightened, it would be fun to see all the pieces placed more or less where they were 75 years ago. (ps, was typing this when TOM H.S. posted his similar note), great minds think alike!

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Personally, I think a little peek now and then is just fine the way you have been doing it. Builds up the suspense, I'm guessing you may be near end of finding stuff as I suspect engine was removed before car was interred! Finding a rad shell or any bright work might be a thrill.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I see a nomination coming up for an award in some category, most unique topic, greatest effort to preserve (or persevere), hopeless romantic, treasure hunter of the year(or decade), salvage hero, history buff, time is no object........ I realize at some point this "dig" will end, but it's been a fun ride for us passengers.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I’ll know when to stop sharing the adventure when no one comments anymore or the dig is finally over. But for now im going to keep digging. Did some research on the property and it dates back to 1871 so I have hopes that there may be more to dig along the way. Hope everyone is enjoying their day. 😀

• Like 8

CG36, Yes this is very fun to see progress and digging and finding and unpuzzling. As others have said the engine and transmission might be stuffed into a corner of a barn or near an area where trucks might have been parked. As an old time poet once penned, "Keep-a-Goin". Best Wishes. 

• Thanks 1

If it goes back to 1871, then you are still bound to find old school beer can pop tabs. 
Them are EVERYWHERE. 

Truly a neat dig and has to be exciting to actually come up with a rare car. 
Would have guessed it would have gone another way if it was a 73 Duster. 
Thank you for sharing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This tree root will be the death of me 😂 

this piece looks so simple to get at…….right?

definitely wrong! 😵‍💫

I’ve been careful in this area because this seems to be the area of the front end. This is where I found the 2 Westcott name plates. 

IMG_7225.jpeg

IMG_7224.jpeg

IMG_7226.jpeg

• Like 2

After dealing with the EPA on the DeliVer-All van thread, @Dandy Dave is probably thinking ....

"Hey EPA, nothing to see here.. move along... ;)

I agree, this is one of the best threads ever. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Hi CG36, If available you may try a pressure washer to reveal what's in the way and or a cordless sawzall to cut away bothersome roots, without going whole-hog with a chainsaw that will dull quickly in dirt. Best Wishes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

After dealing with the EPA on the DeliVer-All van thread, @Dandy Dave is probably thinking ....

"Hey EPA, nothing to see here.. move along... ;)

I agree, this is one of the best threads ever. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Don't tell them nothing other than to move along. This EPA stuff has really gotten out of hand. Can't even clean up what should be cleaned up.

• Like 2

Fun automotive archeology project……..I would have guessed the chance of a solid ID was less than five percent. Well done.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Actually, these are called, "Lift the Dot" fasteners and they attach side curtains to the body. The frame you've dug up had a touring body on it. A touring car was an open two seat car similar to today's convertibles They had a canvas top like a convertible and removable side curtains to completely enclose the car in case of rain. These side curtains were fastened on with lift the dot fasteners.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hi CG36, I just realized that any use of high pressure water to excavate around to remnants may wash away important clues or car parts. Just think of those old-timer's who used massive pressure water hoses to mine for GOLD back in the day, but all flowing mud was put through a so-called Wash Plant to find Gold dust and nuggets. But you and your team are searching for tiny pieces of car parts. Barrow a friends Metal Detector to move things along, [ Keep-On-Truck'n ]. 

I'm reminded of a MODEL T FORD display at one of the Ford museums which displays a Model T Ford all in pieces [ ie. in a exploded view style ] very cool. Best Wishes

• Thanks 1

Keep on going, I'm diggin' it! Can't wait until you have that chassis upright, and we can have a full view of it. Appears one engine side pan is still in place. If it were possible to age the tree(can you count rings on one of the cut pieces) one might be able to narrow down just when carcass was placed there. Note what appears to be the 2 rear engine mounting brackets are offset, likely due to frame distortion.

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

@TOM H. S.ive been letting the rain do all the washing for me. 

@Gunsmoke😂 definitely an explosion of the parts 

gonna need more than just my boyfriend and I for the frame to be flipped. I can’t wait to get that done. 
I keep forgetting how big cars were back then. I thought it was a truck frame at first. But then I remembered how big a 36 packard was and it is quite roomy. So now I understand the length and all that. 

Hope everyone is enjoying their day. 

• Like 3