WHAAAAAT?

lrlforfun

6 minutes ago, MrAG Riv said:

Wonder if it is this car… 

This car is neat and a phenomenal restoration, but, in my opinion, it's OVER restored. This car wasn't this nice when it was first built. All in what you want.

I looked over the pictures of the one sold. I have stripped mine right down to the metatarsals with intimate knowledge of each part. I would be looking for more at that price. Don't know the details but I often think "regular auction dealer to regular auction dealer" sale.

If the price rippled back my way in the future it could bump activity on the repaint I have been farting around with. I painted it Claret Mist in 1980. The body tag is S, Bronze Mist. I don't care for "brown" cars and have been watching reruns of The Rockford Files trying to talk myself into the original color. It's not easy. All that work and end up with a brown car.

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

the reason for the high prices these days is that there is no one to do the work, so the few that do charge exorbitant prices as they are loaded with work and can hire no one to help.  A ready to go turn key nicely done car is therefore now worth 40 percent more than it was ten years ago and people are happy to pay the price.   WE in our Porsche shop have at least 30 cars waiting for mechanical and welding restoration and another 30 at the body shop we use, and would immediately hire four more mechanics and five body men if we could find them

• Like 3

I know that car & the person who found it in a junkyard who personally went over every nut & bolt & 4 parts cars to get it to where you see it.

It was sold to a willing buyer overseas who WANTED the car BADLY so it was sold for that amount plus.

IF you saw it in person you would realize just what it was/is.

I have a customer with a '65 GS in an odd color combo, Bamboo Cream??? with a dark green interior that sounds oddball but in reality is a stunning color combo.

it's worth a 100K+ & he's asking 85K.

He doesn't really want to sell it but is moving to Florida & his Ferrari's are more important to him. IF he can work out the logistics the car WILL go to Florida.

I've worked on the car for the last few years  & know it intimately & know for the most part it IS mostly ALL ORIGINAL & even got a thumbs up from the person who did the 210K car.

Tom T.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, telriv said:

I have a customer with a '65 GS in an odd color combo, Bamboo Cream??? with a dark green interior that sounds oddball but in reality is a stunning color combo.

Is it this one?

image.png.eafbac0b86c407874f69ce0caef08f78.png

image.png.de37f58957525ca99c615b4b912f2598.png

image.png.8c1c6b6b95950474c27a171c86641b32.png

If so, I concur with regard to the color combination - they do work well together.  The pictures were taken at the Hemmings  Concours in 2017.

No, that's John's car & as far as I recollect it's Yellow.

The one I'm talking about is an off White, almost White, Bone White???

It is a stricking color combo with the Dark Green interior.

A top Riv. GS collector has looked it over for a day & ahalf & verified the car as being mostly ALL original including the voltage regulator.

Tom T. 

Edited by telriv (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

On 6/8/2023 at 4:21 PM, gungeey said:

I love this!

Patrick Swayze summed up the decision process I went through when I bought my '65 back in '83 when I was 24 years old.  Little did the seller know that once I saw those clamshell headlights working I just HAD to have that car!  I was badly smitten.  Simple as that.   Luckily the Riv I bought turned out to be pretty solid car and I still have it 40 years later. 

• Like 2