Drill Bit Sharpener

STEVE POLLARD

Yes I can. I have access to a Darex 3000 at work and boy, does it sharpen drill bits really really well!👍

It should for the price!!!!!!!!   Not a home hobbyist model.🙁

https://darex.com/shop/sharpeners/xt3000-drill-sharpener/

I had one marketed as "Drill doctor". Useless piece of S@#%. I quickly went back to the way I was taught at trade school on the open grinder wheel even though my eyesight is not what it once was.

• Like 6

I've always sharpened mine on a bench or pedestal grinder. Nothing like a good eye and a little care to get them cutting right. My father was an old farmer, ruff on things like drill bits. I use to cringe to see him force a dull drill bit into whatever. When I was around I would just grab up a bunch and sharpen them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Fordy said:

I had one marketed as "Drill doctor". Useless piece of S@#%. I quickly went back to the way I was taught at trade school on the open grinder wheel even though my eyesight is not what it once was.

I got a (used) Drill Doctor and I was also disappointed.

• Like 1

Drill doctors are less than a POS.

If you can find a good used Black Diamond sharpener WITH ALL THE COLLETS it is perfect but expect to pay $1000+. I thought a drill sharpener would be a good idea and bought a used Darex M-5. It does a good job but is fussy to set up for each size drill. It would be good if you had a bunch of the same size to sharpen. After I learned how to use it I never used it again.

My suggestion is to save your money and take the time to learn how to hand sharpen with a bench grinder. I can sharpen 5 bits in the time it takes to set up the M-5 for one bit and they cut just as well..........Bob

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Almost afraid to say it, but I've had a Drill Dr for many years (maybe the earlier ones are better?)  It's a moderate pain to set up, it's best to wait until you have several bits to sharpen and do them all at once, and it's not much use for anything smaller than about 3/16.   But if you follow the instructions and be sure to split the points I've had good success with it.  It's a homeowner grade tool, but it works for what I need it to.

Since I am not too interested in spending thousands for proper tools to accurately cut a bit, I use a steady hand and keen eye on a fine grinding wheel followed by a sharpening stone. Look at a new larger size (3/8"- 1/2" etc) to see how the finished product should be shaped. Bits under 1/8th" are cheap enough to have several on hand. I just replace them.

1 hour ago, Angelfish said:

Almost afraid to say it, but I've had a Drill Dr for many years (maybe the earlier ones are better?)  It's a moderate pain to set up, it's best to wait until you have several bits to sharpen and do them all at once, and it's not much use for anything smaller than about 3/16.   But if you follow the instructions and be sure to split the points I've had good success with it.  It's a homeowner grade tool, but it works for what I need it to.

Years ago I was taught to sharpen bits on a bench grinder. Several years ago I was given a new Drill Doctor. I was a skeptic at first  but it does work well. As Angelfish said you need to follow the directions. I used it just yesterday.

8 minutes ago, 60ch said:

Years ago I was taught to sharpen bits on a bench grinder. Several years ago I was given a new Drill Doctor. I was a skeptic at first  but it does work well. As Angelfish said you need to follow the directions. I used it just yesterday.

I followed the directions exactly. If you are EXTREMELY careful, it will do a passable job of sharpening. Seems like there is way too much slop in the system.

• Like 1

The Darex 3000 is waaay easier to use than the M-5. Might explain why there are no cheap used 3000 series.😁

Interesting that Darex makes at least the higher end Drill Doctors. 

One day at work 15+ years ago I walked up to a bench grinder and sharpened a drill bit. Coworkers asked why bother? Because I need to drill a hole now! I do not have time to order new bits. Then they asked how I learned to sharpen them on a bench grinder. I said because growing up I didn't have money to buy new bits, but we owned a bench grinder!   👍

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, JFranklin said:

I learned to sharpen drill bits on a grinding wheel when I got a job at an alarm company that specialized in all hidden wiring from every window, door, and hatch!

PS: if anyone knows why my computer automatically starts using itallics let me know!

Maybe you accidentally clicked the italics button?  Left click anywhere on the italicized words - if the "I" in the upper left corner is shaded, that's the problem.  To fix it, select the italicized words (hold down the left mouse button and drag the cursor across the words) - when they're shaded, left click the "I" button to un-shade it.

The I next to the B.

On 4/15/2023 at 4:18 AM, Dandy Dave said:

I've always sharpened mine on a bench or pedestal grinder. Nothing like a good eye and a little care to get them cutting right. My father was an old farmer, ruff on things like drill bits. I use to cringe to see him force a dull drill bit into whatever. When I was around I would just grab up a bunch and sharpen them. 

That's the way we learned in school. What's the matter with people today???

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

RE Drill Dr: it will do a passable job of sharpening. I agree to a point with that statement. 

I don't have steady hands or good eye site even with glasses, so using a grinder is a challenge. There was a long gap between 1972 taking ag shop class and when I needed to sharpen any drills. 

• Like 1

On 4/17/2023 at 12:18 PM, dodge28 said:

Nothing like a fine grit wheel , a steady hand  good lighting and good sight. 

I agree with Mark in the fine grit wheel is easy (if you can afford it) but the other two are getting less available around here.;)

When soldering or welding I always thank goodness I learned to do these tasks when I could see. Now I get close and it goes well.

2 hours ago, jp1gt said:

I WISH I COULD SEND MY DULL DRILL BITS TO SOMEONE TO BE SHARPENED.  I can do a lot of things but sharpening drill bits is not one of them. I hate throwing old drill bits away.

On 4/18/2023 at 6:51 PM, Mark Gregush said:

RE Drill Dr: it will do a passable job of sharpening. I agree to a point with that statement. 

I don't have steady hands or good eye site even with glasses, so using a grinder is a challenge. There was a long gap between 1972 taking ag shop class and when I needed to sharpen any drills. 

A wish and an answer. Buy the tool.