doubts in my 1956 Plymouth Savoy

Jmorera1970

I have a 1956 Plymouth Savoy, it has a 318 Dodge engine and an A727 transmission that is not installed, supposedly it was taken from a 1978 Dodge D100, the engine and transmission have already been adapted but I have a question, the transmission has some cables and I don't know where they connect, I don't know if you need a computer or a regulator, the engine has already started but I just need to know where the transmission cables go to be able to enjoy my 56, thanks

I have a 1956 Plymouth Savoy, it has a Dodge 318 engine and an A727 transmission that is not installed, supposedly it was taken from a 1978 Dodge D100, the engine and transmission have already been adapted, but I have a question, the transmission has some cables and I don't know where they connect, I don't know if You need a computer or a regulator, the engine has already started but I just need to know where the transmission cables go to be able to enjoy my 56, thanks

2055DB35-F114-4A80-9D62-634142F1FA50.jpeg

Edited by Jmorera1970
language (see edit history)

The 1978 transmission is set up for a linkage connection to either a column or console mounted shift leaver.  Your car has the shift cables for a push button transmission shift, which ended in 1964, so you will need to find an earlier transmission for the push button shift to work.  Also, in 1956 your transmission could be the two speed PowerFlite or three speed TorqueFlite, so to use the cables, you will need the matching transmission.

If by cables you mean electrical wires, it may be for a lock up torque converter, but I think that came a few years later.

Edited by 61polara (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 61polara said:

The 1978 transmission is set up for a linkage connection to either a column or console mounted shift leaver.  Your car has the shift cables for a push button transmission shift, which ended in 1964, so you will need to find an earlier transmission for the push button shift to work.  Also, in 1956 your transmission could be the two speed PowerFlite or three speed TorqueFlite, so to use the cables, you will need the matching transmission.

Dave is correct.

There may be other options:

1.  It may be possible to adapt a later series column shifter which would be suited to your current transmission

2.  Some MoPar vehicles manufactured during the era of your current 1978 transmission were optioned with a floor shifter, and this may be your easiest, and possibly most effective, efficient, and affordable adaptation. You could also enclose it in a console .

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Marty Roth said:

Dave is correct.

1.  It may be possible to adapt a later series column shifter which would be suited to your current transmission

2.  Some MoPar vehicles manufactured during the era of your current 1978 transmission were optioned with a floor shifter, and this may be your easiest, and possibly most effective, efficient, and affordable adaptation. You could also enclose it in a console .

Further to Marty's post Lokar offers a solution for a floor shifter for you.  Pictures of the cables you are asking about would help.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, 3macboys said:

Further to Marty's post Lokar offers a solution for a floor shifter for you.  Pictures of the cables you are asking about would help.  

10 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

Dave is correct.

The electrical cables that come out of the transmission where they are connected?

10 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

Dave is correct.

this column will help me to adapt

A7BCDDF9-1397-4C89-9076-DB27D978BBC2.png

Are they like shifting cables, I don't recall any electrical other than the back up light switch on a 727.

It may be that some of these had a neutral start switch, some testing with an ohm meter would help.

The shifting cables were all done after 1965 with that year having a column shifter with cables (one year only) push button before that, and linkage after.

My experience is with Chrysler, I am sure Dodge is quite similar.

Just reread that your tranny is from 1978. I doubt these were controlled electronically but my memory is as old as I am.

Your tranny should have a lever to change gears and another for the kick down. (be sure to rig that kick down lever) B/U switch is towards the rear if I recall correctly.

Post some pics.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)
  • Like 2

The electrical switch, if it has one threaded binding post, is the neutral safety switch @JACK M mentioned.

The starter relay, from approximately 1962 forward (including 1978), has a floating winding to trip it. The power comes from the key switch (in the start position) to one of it's pins. The wire from the neutral safety switch goes to the other pin to provide a ground, but only in Park or Neutral. A 1956 Savoy probably has some Autolite starter relay or solenoid, and it probably works the same way if the car had an automatic transmission originally. A factory wiring diagram would be needed to figure that out. Things changed a lot on Chrysler products every year in the 1950s.

If the switch has 3 pins, and it probably does for 1978, one of those pins is the same as the binding post in the example above, and the other two are a backup light switch.

If by cables you mean shift cables, those won't hook up to a 1978 727 transmission. Automatics in 1956 if I remember correctly can be a Powerflite or a Cast Iron Torqueflite. They were both shifted with cables. There was no "Park", and the parking brake was used instead. The parking brake was mounted on the back of the transmission, so when the original transmission is gone, there is probably no parking brake. For the 1978 727 transmission you need a shifter that shifts using a linkage.

The kickdown linkage matters on the 727. It's not just kickdown, it also does the job a vacuum modulator does on some other transmissions. Make sure it is all there and hooked up. There's probably a sliding linkage in it somewhere, but the factory linkage always adjusts so that it bottoms out (but just a tiny bit) at full throttle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to doubts in my 1956 Plymouth Savoy

This is a good lesson in "look before you leap". Jumping in to an installation of components 20+ years newer than the original vehicle can have it's challenges, and hind sight is always 20-20.  The original poster is learning, like most of us have, that adapting parts, even those from the same OEM, is not effortless and inexpensive.

I respect his position in wanting to improve the performance and reliability of his car and the fact that he is asking for assistance rather than giving up. He is finding out that this hobby can be every bit as frustrating and expensive as it is rewarding. As a veteran of  engine swaps, various major modifications, and restorations over the years, I encourage him to persevere. The rewards, if not financial, are worth all the sweat, exasperation, and skinned knuckles.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, JACK M said:

Are they like shifting cables, I don't recall any electrical other than the back up light switch on a 727.

It may be that some of these had a neutral start switch, some testing with an ohm meter would help.

The shifting cables were all done after 1965 with that year having a column shifter with cables (one year only) push button before that, and linkage after.

Just reread that your tranny is from 1978. I doubt these were controlled electronically but my memory is as old as I am.

Your tranny should have a lever to change gears and another for the kick down. (be sure to rig that kick down lever) B/U switch is towards the rear if I recall correctly.

Post some pics.

I don't know if the person who sold me the car was cheating on me here are photos of the transmission

620295BC-17C8-4526-AA27-276A694AC10A.jpeg

A93E198E-A1E2-452B-91AC-6E4663CD8F72.jpeg

1 hour ago, Crusty Trucker said:

This is a good lesson in "look before you leap". Jumping in to an installation of components 20+ years newer than the original vehicle can have it's challenges, and hind sight is always 20-20.  The original poster is learning, like most of us have, that adapting parts, even those from the same OEM, is not effortless and inexpensive.

I respect his position in wanting to improve the performance and reliability of his car and the fact that he is asking for assistance rather than giving up. He is finding out that this hobby can be every bit as frustrating and expensive as it is rewarding. As a veteran of  engine swaps, various major modifications, and restorations over the years, I encourage him to persevere. The rewards, if not financial, are worth all the sweat, exasperation, and skinned knuckles.

I bought this 56 with an engine and a transmission thrown inside, little by little I restored it, it takes a lot of patience and money, but thank God everything is already adapted and the engine started and it works fine, now I only need to connect the transmission, which is the most complicated but with your help soon I will take this car to where it belongs (to the road),

1 hour ago, Crusty Trucker said:

When a person loves classic cars, any sacrifice is worth it. Thanks for this comment, it gives me more strength not to abandon this project.

8 hours ago, JACK M said:

Post some pics.

63AF35B5-2BDE-4A42-BA81-49C9431F84C6.jpeg

234DF6A8-A9FD-4D7C-97A8-5C4315391273.jpeg

Look in an old Chiltons or Motors manual that covers the years of the transmission. They have a unit repair section that will illustrate the different type transmissions. They usually display the different units and describe  how to repair them. Your public library may have these manuals, if not you can find them in used book stores. 

• Like 1

Now you know why he sold it. Elmer down at the filling station, told him to put a newer (second hand) engine and transmission in it but didn't tell him how. Neither one knows how to make it work so they sold it to you. I could probably get it to work but I have been working on cars for over 50 years.

First thing I would do is get a factory wiring diagram for both 56 and 78 models. If I had the pushbutton linkage I would figure out how it works and try to adapt it to the newer trans. If this was not possible, next effort would be to swap out the steering column for one with a gearshift. Vans usually have the easiest to adapt but sometimes you have to take what you can get. It would be easier to put in a floor shift and leave the steering alone if you don't mind a floor shift. On second thoughts I would leave the steering alone and just put in a floor shift if I couldn't adapt the pushbuttons.

That would only be the beginning of the problems. Another, that none of you figured on, is that the 56 parking brake is on the back of the transmission while the newer models have it on the rear axle. So you have to swap out the rear axle to get working parking brakes. You will also have to make, or find a suitable drive shaft.

This is in addition to adapting the wiring, cooling system, etc. Lots of fun if you don't go nuts.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I thought the center pin and wire on the 3 pin switch was neutral safety, but wasn't sure. The diagrams in the link @60FlatTop posted confirm it, it is the center wire. The other 2 pins and wires are a backup light switch. You might not even need the backup light switch, but if you do, it's there.

I don't know what that other wire by itself is, but I'm guessing a lockup torque converter. I would ignore that for now.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

Is there any chance of getting the original engine and trans back? And all the other parts they took off? 9 chances out of 10 it would have been easier and cheaper to get it running with the original engine.

I don't think it can be recovered, since when I bought it it had already gone through 3 owners who abandoned this project, I already started the engine and I just need to adapt the transmission cables and the new differential, in Cuba to these cars I used diesel engines and manual transmission

12 hours ago, Jmorera1970 said:

I already started the engine and I just need to adapt the transmission cables

A Vice Grip clamped to the end of the shift cable should do that. You already know the neutral start switch doesn't mean much. The only thing they are good for is maybe a lawn mower. And I'm still able to run faster than a mower.

15 hours ago, Jmorera1970 said:

I don't think it can be recovered, since when I bought it it had already gone through 3 owners who abandoned this project, I already started the engine and I just need to adapt the transmission cables and the new differential, in Cuba to these cars I used diesel engines and manual transmission

If you did that in Cuba, you can overcome this obstacle.

• 5 months later...
On 3/2/2023 at 7:14 PM, Jmorera1970 said:

I have a 1956 Plymouth Savoy, it has a 318 Dodge engine and an A727 transmission that is not installed, supposedly it was taken from a 1978 Dodge D100, the engine and transmission have already been adapted but I have a question, the transmission has some cables and I don't know where they connect, I don't know if you need a computer or a regulator, the engine has already started but I just need to know where the transmission cables go to be able to enjoy my 56, thanks

This the exact platform!  I have a 318 all built ready for the carb and headers. just found a lead on a 727 trans.  not sure if I should get the used rebuilt or buy from summit or jegs. 

• Thanks 1

few more weeks and it's go time. pull the flatty out and in goes 318 mild cam, edlebrock 4 barrel, hooker long tube, streetfighter 904 trans.  all that will be left is rear end. should turn out to be a fun little ride.  I'm sure everything will go without a hitch (lots of sarcasm).  

• Thanks 1

Sounds like a nice ride, good performance without over powering the stock chassis suspension and brakes. The icing on the cake would be to paint it like a 1956 Fury. They were all white or off white with a gold anodized flash down the side and looked sensational. You might be able to duplicate the gold with a vinyl overlay from a sign shop.

For info on this type of conversion you would be better off asking at the HAMB forum.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/forums/the-hokey-ass-message-board.5/

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Don’t 1956 Mopars use an “end of transmission” parking brake? 

As I understand modern transmissions in a 50s Mopar eliminates the parking brake.  

22 hours ago, jpb56savoy said:

few more weeks and it's go time. pull the flatty out and in goes 318 mild cam, edlebrock 4 barrel, hooker long tube, streetfighter 904 trans.  all that will be left is rear end. should turn out to be a fun little ride.  I'm sure everything will go without a hitch (lots of sarcasm).  

tomorrow I'm going to remove the chassis to install new brake lines, but first I want to scrape and paint the chassis well

• Like 1

14 hours ago, m-mman said:

As I understand modern transmissions in a 50s Mopar eliminates the parking brake.

I think the plan is to also swap-in a modern rear axle.  That would provide a parking brake.

• Thanks 1