1941 Buick Coupe - $16,000 - Hill City, SD

Not mine…looks untouched original except paint.  No engine pictures.  I like the look of this car.

https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/hill-city-1941-buick-straight/7581771657.html

Owner contact info:  Brenda 605-381-9663.  
email:  63d399482faf34cb8ada1d88c6f48b5a@sale.craigslist.org

per owner:  “Straight 8 All original and complete. Interior needs restoration
Painted in 2002.”

BBA53F52-D8A8-4DC9-BFAF-2ECA9B07245F.jpeg.eec03f99506e6871c81bff63214454b6.jpegC6A7F400-DEB6-4148-91D4-FDEB9A71F670.jpeg.5dba308e2db7d6da21e546464a2c5323.jpeg6FAB8D86-EA2B-4FF5-B0D9-56ED7E51ACED.jpeg.f488147bae758a3dc28619eae09100e5.jpeg4549C1C6-2F83-4D41-A188-BD1531ECC830.jpeg.d24c5a912c8a1a2f456efeac381379d3.jpegFC6EC8EC-D6E4-420D-9500-D254D0545887.jpeg.06adb235e5a44b2ee7b5c7c9416f3939.jpegA74D2EA2-1E95-4F30-917F-0B034FC7551F.jpeg.3aa66e3d268178f3d60996ba8c1fd1ab.jpegCFD2C90F-FBFE-4F29-8CA3-93E80C86F509.jpeg.076cd95f7ca59a7344a32dc21d06a04e.jpeg555583AB-0F0F-48C8-87EE-3167E077459A.jpeg.fbb783ed82ea30444c99bcf658221cc8.jpeg14AE7150-7FC9-4CC2-807F-A1B3661F5323.jpeg.d2de0c5c038e0d79033a2c2f3123bde5.jpeg98173198-29EB-4AB4-A6E7-72DCCE3A7D96.jpeg.b20aa3651b6b02e875a44ef741f2a608.jpegC8073867-073A-4F6A-8D2D-B2A553BED260.jpeg.c1493548ef8e413266d02b4b7fea7fe1.jpeg

It is SD, like ND,  the cars survive much better than in the east,  even when exposed.   The chrome out there survives amazingly well.  Biggest mistake I made was going to my Uncles little back yard junk yard that had probably 100 cars from the 30's-60's and not taking the pot metal chrome off every car I could.  He would sell it all dirt cheap.  Bought all the chrome trim for my then 49 Plymouth coupe for $50, by buying 3 cars in an old ladies yard and giving them to him so I could have the trim off the 49 sedan that was among them.  Car had moss growing on it but no pitting in the chrome at all and just as shiny as this cars trim.  Just unbelievable after being in the northeast where everything goes to shit in short time.  There were 3 47-48 Chevies that were complete including nice grilles and a bunch of other stuff including a mint 58 Chevy impala front fender with all the trim and nice factory blue paint sitting on the scrap pile.  All I had to do was stick it in the truck and we drove off without it.  

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Oh my, I hope someone from here looks into buying this car; It's a Special and I know it is a bit rough on the edges but it could be a nice driver. The thing that is not pictured or mentioned is the drivetrain. I agree with Crusty Trucker if you buff and wax it you would have a beauty.  If I were to buy it, assuming the drivetrain is decent I would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 11 grand. I'm not a buyer because I have a love affair going on with my 40 Super coupe. Also parts for a 41 are easier to find than a 40!

4 minutes ago, deac said:

Oh my, I hope someone from here looks into buying this car; It's a Special and I know it is a bit rough on the edges but it could be a nice driver. The thing that is not pictured or mentioned is the drivetrain. I agree with Crusty Trucker if you buff and wax it you would have a beauty.  If I were to buy it, assuming the drivetrain is decent I would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 11 grand. I'm not a buyer because I have a love affair going on with my 40 Super coupe. Also parts for a 41 are easier to find than a 40!

I agree, I was thinking that 10K would be ceiling to buy this car assuming that it ran. Looking at the interior I would be very careful washing the car, but you couldn't do much more harm to the interior. This is the first time that I have seen this type of steering wheel (maybe base model). I paid 6K just for the material for the interior of my car. Maybe a little over a grand for tires and I would be surprised if the car has been rewired. It would be a nice looking car when finished. If you really watched your budget and did as much of the work yourself, I think you could come out even. 

29 minutes ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

I think not a Special.  I believe door handle is BELOW trim on Special.   Maybe Roadmaster?

Ben

I agree, beltline handle is Super, or Roadmaster, but that steering wheel on a Roadmaster doesn't seem right.  Close up of the hood pulls would tell the difference.

I did a little research in the Standard Catalog Buick catalog and it seems that Buick changed in '41 and all models have the door handle in the beltline.

This was a change from 1940 where only the Roadmaster and Super had the door handle in the beltline and all others were below. 

Edited by kingrudy (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

It is definitely a Special -- as pont35 mentions, you can see the word "Special" on the hood latches.  Based on the lack of chrome spears on the rear fenders and the shape of the body, I'm pretty sure this is a series 40A, which was built with essentially a Chevy body on a 118" WB chassis.  (The series 40 Specials had a 121" WB.)  This is a very high asking price for this model in this condition, in my opinion, and we don't even know if it runs.  Even assuming it runs, I would think it's not worth more than $3K or so.

The steering wheel is the rarely seen "standard" wheel -- almost all '41's had the banjo wheel which was an option on the Special.  I also noticed the unusual placement of the radio antenna -- I think that the standard roof antenna was not offered on the 40A series, but I don't know for sure.  @Matt Harwood could answer all these questions.

• Like 1

I agree with Neil, that's a Special A-Series coupe, not a Super. The antenna is probably a dealer installation, which was somewhat common--I've seen it before. I don't recognize the steering wheel, but again, Neil is surely correct that it's probably the base steering wheel that almost nobody ordered. Given the dealer radio install, I bet this is a zero options car and I wonder if it even has a heater? My father's '41 Super coupe was like that: no heater and no radio and it was originally a Florida car, so that explains the lack of a heater. He found a correct radio and installed it but I don't recall what he did for an antenna, it was just so long ago.

I think this car is VERY ambitiously priced but a Special coupe is kind of a rare bird. Rare doesn't mean valuable, especially a bare-bones model, but if someone wanted a project there are worse places to start. But for that money you can almost get a finished car. And it's sure going to unwind fast parked outdoors like that...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, B Jake Moran said:

I've never seen one of these 1941 Buick coupes as a Special.  I am by no means an expert, but have seen cars for 42 years, and these were always Supers or Roadmasters with the Special being given the 1st year Fastback body.  

I guess you learn something every day! 

• Like 1

Realistically I cannot see this car selling for anything under 8 grand and that's 50% off the listed price. In any negotiation a 50% discount is a long shot!! I earlier stated 11 grand which I would think there's at least a chance to get a deal. I haven't seen a steering wheel like that in a 41 coupe. Looks to me like the base wheel out of a 37 with a 41 horn button slapped on it. I would think this is a model 46S based on a back seat.

Edited by deac (see edit history)

3 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

I've never seen one of these 1941 Buick coupes as a Special.  I am by no means an expert, but have seen cars for 42 years, and these were always Supers or Roadmasters with the Special being given the 1st year Fastback body.  

Me either, Jake,  now that I think about it.   I lusted after a 1940 in times gone by.

Ben

It's a Model 44. The 46S was the fastback body style, B-series Special. They introduced the A-series with a more traditional look late in the year to kind of hedge their bets in case the public didn't really like the fastback. There was the Model 44, the 44C convertible, and the Model 47 4-door sedan, all based on a shorter chassis and Chevrolet bodies. The fastback was insanely popular, however, so not many of these were sold and few exist today. But as I said, rare doesn't mean desirable or valuable.

• Thanks 3

37 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

It's a Model 44. The 46S was the fastback body style, B-series Special. They introduced the A-series with a more traditional look late in the year to kind of hedge their bets in case the public didn't really like the fastback. There was the Model 44, the 44C convertible, and the Model 47 4-door sedan, all based on a shorter chassis and Chevrolet bodies. The fastback was insanely popular, however, so not many of these were sold and few exist today. But as I said, rare doesn't mean desirable or valuable.

Matt, the 44 is listed as a three passenger Business Coupe, whereas the 44S is a six passenger 2-door Sport Coupe. Pretty sure that's it. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

Wow that's a poverty steering wheel! I've never seen that before.

Yes, that's the standard wheel that is rarely seen on a '41.  The first one I saw was from Grant Z's RHD Special Coupe from Australia (also a series 40A) when he posted pics of his car.

41_standard_wheel.jpg.18c77d25de5980c770003909ba9c03d0.jpg

4 hours ago, kingrudy said:

Matt, the 44 is listed as a three passenger Business Coupe, whereas the 44S is a six passenger 2-door Sport Coupe. Pretty sure that's it. 

I agree.  You can see that it has a back seat in one of the photos.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

This car is sold. A good friend of mine bought it. I know it's going to a good home because we work on our cars in the same shop!  I was quite happy when I heard he pulled the trigger!

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

This post probably doesn't belong here but it is an update to a car that was previously bought from this website/thread.

As mentioned above this Buick was bought by a good friend who is into originality and is quite capable of reviving the old girl.  When the car first arrived it wasn't much to look at.  Amazingly it had a pretty nice paint job and it cleaned up well.  There is no rust on the car however there is remnants of a thick aftermarket undercoating in various areas of the undercarriage.  The body panel fit is nice but the weatherstripping and fender welts have virtually worn away.  He removed the gas tank and sent it out to be cleaned and blew out the fuel line from the pump to the tank He also had the wheels powder coated and new Firestone bias ply's mounted. The front bumper and grille were replaced with better parts.  That base steering was replaced with the deluxe one were all used to seeing on these cars. The rear shocks and diff cover are leaking.  The dual carburetors and the ignition parts have yet to be addressed and same goes for the braking system. As for the interior I am sure he has plans for that; but it will be addressed on a different day. In time this Buick will be on the road again with a lot of hard work from my buddy.

One simple repair usually winds up leading to multiple repairs; hence my comments on the various cars posted on this message board.  Have to get them safe, reliable, roadworthy and beautiful again!

drivers area.jpg

engine.jpg

frnt susp.jpg

fuel tank.jpg

rear 3-qtr.jpg

wheel.jpg

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, kingrudy said:

Great looking car in the making here. She will be a beauty inside and out. If your buddy has pics from the day he bought it, he should post on the "Me and My Buick" forum. He is off to a fast start. 

He has about 8 old cars and this one is his primary focus. It's a lot of work but I have no doubt he'll get it looking and running great

45 minutes ago, kingrudy said:

Great looking car in the making here. She will be a beauty inside and out. If your buddy has pics from the day he bought it, he should post on the "Me and My Buick" forum. He is off to a fast start. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Wow, that really cleaned up nicely!

He spent some hours on the car. No metal work or paint work - that's a big plus!!

• Like 1

I will now move and update the progress in Me and My Buick.  But I want all that commented on this car before it sold that it fell into good hands,  My friend loves to save old cars and he's got a pretty good eye to know which ones to go after.  But this one is a keeper so it's has many good miles in it's future.....

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jim Skelly said:

It's a nice-looking car with a lot of potential.  Does it have a '41 engine?  The valve cover should be red.

The engine is a 1941 248 Buick motor!  But I was looking at the color on the valve cover and there was no remnants of red on it.  I saw a little bit copper but the engine area is pretty dirty so I couldn't tell!

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

An update about the 44S coupe from South Dakota!

My buddy has put a lot of work into this coupe and today it paid off- it fired up with a quick test drive to follow!

He did the following:  Powder coated the wheels and replaced the tires. removed the gas tank, had it cleaned and coated and installed a new fuel sender.  Blew out the fuel lines and rebuilt the fuel pump. Replaced the master cylinder and all the wheel cylinders then bled the brakes with new fluid.  Replaced the coil and installed AC46 spark plugs.  Fixed the taillights/brake lights. 

When it first started it blew a bunch of crap out the exhaust pipe and then it hummed and no smoke was seen. Unfortunately the radiator leaks badly  I don't know just what this car was exposed to in south Dakota but I have not seen a car with so much caked on and dried mock on the undercarriage as this one.  But all the gauges do work.

But the fun was driving my 40 Buick coupe and him driving his 41 Buick coupe to lunch and both car coincidently are the same color

I have found these message boards really helpful, interesting and a resource for buying cars.  These Buicks came from the 'not mine' thread and so did my 47 Ford.  Pretty darn cool.  A thanks to all that contribute!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, deac said:

An update about the 44S coupe from South Dakota!

My buddy has put a lot of work into this coupe and today it paid off- it fired up with a quick test drive to follow!

He did the following:  Powder coated the wheels and replaced the tires. removed the gas tank, had it cleaned and coated and installed a new fuel sender.  Blew out the fuel lines and rebuilt the fuel pump. Replaced the master cylinder and all the wheel cylinders then bled the brakes with new fluid.  Replaced the coil and installed AC46 spark plugs.  Fixed the taillights/brake lights. 

When it first started it blew a bunch of crap out the exhaust pipe and then it hummed and no smoke was seen. Unfortunately the radiator leaks badly  I don't know just what this car was exposed to in south Dakota but I have not seen a car with so much caked on and dried mock on the undercarriage as this one.  But all the gauges do work.

But the fun was driving my 40 Buick coupe and him driving his 41 Buick coupe to lunch and both car coincidently are the same color

I have found these message boards really helpful, interesting and a resource for buying cars.  These Buicks came from the 'not mine' thread and so did my 47 Ford.  Pretty darn cool.  A thanks to all that contribute!

I bought a car from a “not mine” posting and now someone bought a “not mine” car I posted…pretty cool 😎 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

The 44S is now roadworthy.  The radiator was re-cored and the water pump was replaced and now there is no overheating issues!  We've ordered rear shocks for it today.  So I know my buddy drove it 6 miles to his house and he said it performed very nicely.  He loves putting old cars back on the road and this one is nicest of the many he's done.  He has further restoration plans for it because  he is definitely keeping it!

• Like 7

11 hours ago, deac said:

The 44S is now roadworthy.  The radiator was re-cored and the water pump was replaced and now there is no overheating issues!  We've ordered rear shocks for it today.  So I know my buddy drove it 6 miles to his house and he said it performed very nicely.  He loves putting old cars back on the road and this one is nicest of the many he's done.  He has further restoration plans for it because  he is definitely keeping it!

Thanks for updating.  cool to see/hear what happens to cars that we all discuss on here.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

So I am driving towards our shop and there's a shiny grill of an old car near the door and I get closer and it's the 41 Buick 44S.  My friend has registered it with the DMV and is driving it around  One thing that I have noticed my 1940 Super coupe and his '41 Special coupe are painted the same color.  When the cars are in the shop (shaded) the color appears to be a medium gray.  However when they're in the sun light the color changes from gray to gray/green.  Pretty distinctive.

PXL_20240519_202609455.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, deac said:

So I am driving towards our shop and there's a shiny grill of an old car near the door and I get closer and it's the 41 Buick 44S.  My friend has registered it with the DMV and is driving it around  One thing that I have noticed my 1940 Super coupe and his '41 Special coupe are painted the same color.  When the cars are in the shop (shaded) the color appears to be a medium gray.  However when they're in the sun light the color changes from gray to gray/green.  Pretty distinctive.

PXL_20240519_202609455.jpg

Wow the car turned out really nice!  It’s great when a posted “not mine” car gets bought, brought back to life, driven and then posted to this forum. 

• Like 1