1934 Packard 1100

After I sold my Pierce and Cadillac I focused on finding a truly original and unrestored car in useable condition. In 2012 I found one of my all time favorite cars, a 1934 Packard. This was an entry level model 1100 Eight short wheelbase 5 passenger sedan in rather remarkable unrestored shape. The mechanicals, chrome, entire interior, and all the paint except three of the fenders were as factory built other than normal maintenance items. It was faded but looked, ran and drove well in the dealer's photos and videos. The first thing that sold me was a video of all four doors being closed with one finger pressure, no wood framing problems or rust issues. The second thing was a large envelope packed with all original paperwork back to the first purchase including a very rare factory invoice. Here are photos from the day I received it, I will share more later.

DSCF4204.JPG

DSCF4205.JPG

DSCF4211.JPG

DSCF4216.JPG

DSCF4218.JPG

IMG_2988.JPG

Packard Docs_0001.jpg

• Like 33
  • Haha 1

More on my 34 Packard. It was an early production car, ordered in July 1933 by the Packard Motor co. of Pittsburgh, PA. For a base model car it was fairly loaded with options: Dual sidemounts with metal covers, trunk rack, spare tire mirrors, wheel trim rings, Goddess of Speed mascot, rare AM radio, Startix, high compression head, and 4.69 axle ratio for hill climbing. It was used as a demonstrator then sold to it's first owner, T.E. Frey, on November 27, 1933 with 5,160 miles on it. He kept the car for 54 years then sold it to his friend and mechanic Frank Humble for the princely sum of $1.00. Frank kept it for 10 years and there are now 4 other owners since then. The truly amazing part is that this car was heavily used in a winter climate by multiple owners but must have been very well taken care of to have remained in such good condition. Here are some of the options and the rest of the original paperwork.

ext32.JPG

ext38.JPG

ext63.JPG

ext65.JPG

Owners.jpg

Packard Docs_0002.jpg

Packard Docs_0004.jpg

Packard Docs_0005.jpg

Packard Docs_0006.jpg

Packard Docs_0007.jpg

Packard Docs_0008.jpg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Hi Tex, I love your car and hope you never succumb to the temptation of "restoring" it. It is a wonderful living piece of history and the documents that came with it  are priceless. They are only original once. No question as to the originality, example, the red oxide primer used by Packard was as far as I know a unique product with a distinct salmon color to it. It is the identical color to the primer on my 32 Twin Six R/S Coupe that remains a completely untouched original. I know this because the back sides of the side mount covers were never finish painted but left in primer. A Packard parts number is stamped in black ink on to the face plates. I would love to see a more detail photo of your Startex installation. I could not see it in the shot of the engine compartment but I am assuming you have one because of the Startex direction manual you have.

IMG_3926.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, V16 said:

Hi Tex, I love your car and hope you never succumb to the temptation of "restoring" it. It is a wonderful living piece of history and the documents that came with it  are priceless. They are only original once. No question as to the originality, example, the red oxide primer used by Packard was as far as I know a unique product with a distinct salmon color to it. It is the identical color to the primer on my 32 Twin Six R/S Coupe that remains a completely untouched original. I know this because the back sides of the side mount covers were never finish painted but left in primer. A Packard parts number is stamped in black ink on to the face plates. I would love to see a more detail photo of your Startex installation. I could not see it in the shot of the engine compartment but I am assuming you have one because of the Startex direction manual you have.

The Startix was a factory option but had been totally disconnected. All of the wiring was in the parts box sent to the new owner.

DSCF4644.JPG

• Like 4

The part of my 34 Packard that amazed me the most regarding originality was its interior. With 73,000 miles of use over 80 some years (at the time I owned it) it remained 100% original and in mostly excellent condition. With the exception of some heavy wear to the driver's seat and front carpet the mohair upholstery was lovely, the extensive woodgraining hardly worn and the plated metal parts bright. I believe the first two owners must have taken remarkable care of this and never allowed dirt or moisture to accumulate. When I first received the car there was a box of spare parts on the rear floor next to a big open box of mothballs from which the smell was unmistakable. I assumed this may have been part of the magic so I left it in place during my ownership.

int 9.JPG

int1.JPG

int3.JPG

int4.JPG

int8.JPG

int15.JPG

int16.JPG

int18.JPG

int20.JPG

int26.JPG

int36.JPG

int37.JPG

DSCF4221.JPG

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, TexRiv_63 said:

The Startix was a factory option but had been totally disconnected. All of the wiring was in the parts box sent to the new owner.

DSCF4644.JPG

I worked on a few PA's with a Startix. Ed knows the cars. When these work, they work well. When they don't, it is a problem to either repair or find parts for other than minor adjustments.

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 4

21 hours ago, drhach said:

That Packard looks great. Did you do anything special regarding the care of the interior? Did you use it much? I'm curious what precautions need to be taken with fabric that old. 

Other than a good vacuuming the only thing I did was cover the front seat with old towels except when I showed the car. I put about 850 miles on it in my two years of ownership. It was a tribute to the quality of the mohair material that even the worn areas were not threadbare or weak. The rear seat appeared to have been hardly used and was still firm and supportive. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, alsancle said:

An unnecessary accessory but my experience with them has been good.

The Startix is an option for the little lady to drive easier. Starts right up if her dainty foot slips off the clutch and she stalls it.

Couldn't advertise that today.

• Like 2

Last post about my 34 Packard 1100. It was painted code FF blue at the factory and all of the body still had that paint except the fenders. They had sustained minor damage over the years and had been repaired and painted many close but different shades of blue. When I got the car the paint was faded and slightly chalky, a good wash helped but no a lot. I wanted to shine it up but agonized over how to do it for quite some time. I also had a 63 Olds Starfire at this time with driver quality black urethane paint that had never been buffed out properly. I bought a Dewalt slow speed buffer, foam pads, compound and liquid wax and got to it, it really improved that finish and gave me confidence in the process. I decided to buff the Packard, but with wax only and only one time. Needless to say it took some old paint off but not drastically and the improvement was amazing. To my surprise I found the blue lacquer was iridescent or "Poly" which I did not know was a possibility in the 1930s. Combined with a detail chrome polish job the old girl ended up looking really nice for 80 some years old.

DSCF4211.JPG

DSCF6165.JPG

DSCF6167.JPG

DSCF6168.JPG

DSCF6170.JPG

DSCF2379.JPG

DSCF2387.JPG

• Like 16
  • Haha 1

Thanks Peter for giving this car its own thread. There is actually another thread here about the car from 2013-15 if anyone is interested. To share a bit more detail, the engine and undercarriage were also totally original, meaning they were dirty and crusty. Some surface rust underneath but no rust-out anywhere. When I owned the car I was also posting on the Packard Club forum and the first thing they told me there was to get rid of the aftermarket oil filter. It was a tiny thing with small 5/16" tubing that only filtered a small percentage of the oil where the original was full pressure filtration. I immediately ordered a reproduction of the Purolater L-6 from Burr Ripley and put it back to stock. It had the original Northeast dual point / dual coil ignition system and most other parts. The carburetor, generator, starter and fuel pump had all been rebuilt and the oil pan and gas tank had been cleaned. I added a modern K&N air filter but still had the original. The engine, transmission, clutch, steering and brakes all worked very well and the car was a pleasure to drive - a TOTAL improvement over my previous pre war car.

j3.JPG

j5.JPG

j6a.JPG

j7.JPG

j8.JPG

j11.JPG

j13.JPG

k1.JPG

k3.JPG

k7.JPG

k8.JPG

• Like 4

You may have noticed in my last post that the areas on the rear axle where the tie down straps from the transporter rode showed blue paint. The build sheet indicated "standard black chassis parts" so this intrigued me. I partially cleaned an area around the front spring and found blue paint, and all the brake drums also showed it. That was all I exposed but I did clean the drums and sprayed them with a semigloss clear. I know the painted chassis was optional, would everything under the car be painted or just certain areas?

k8.JPG

k9.JPG

k10.JPG

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

My car came with some interesting factory accessories. It had a locking gas cap which still worked along with its original box. Inside the box was the original plain gas cap which apparently had never been used. It also came with a "Handy Kit" of various polishes and chemicals, it was incomplete but what remained were in very good shape and still in the original red and gold box.

DSCF4250.JPG

DSCF4682.JPG

DSCF4686.JPG

DSCF4688.JPG

DSCF4689.JPG

DSCF4673.JPG

DSCF4674.JPG

DSCF4678.JPG

DSCF4679.JPG

DSCF4680.JPG

• Like 9

Handy kit and box are more rare than the car. Take good care of them, and be sure and try to complete the entire kit. Cadillac kits in similar condition bring 7500 dollars.....and you can't find them.

PS- Nice car!

• Like 6

21 hours ago, edinmass said:

Handy kit and box are more rare than the car. Take good care of them, and be sure and try to complete the entire kit. Cadillac kits in similar condition bring 7500 dollars.....and you can't find them.

PS- Nice car!

Everything that came with the car stayed with the car when I sold it.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, TexRiv_63 said:

Everything that came with the car stayed with the car when I sold it.

That’s the fair and correct thing to do. Unfortunately, only one person in a 100 does that.  👍👍

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Right after I received this car I joined the Packard Club and their online forum. I started posting there right away and the first warning I got after uploading engine pics was about the oil filter. Some previous owner had removed the large original filter and replaced it with a small bypass unit with tiny 5/16" lines adapted to the original fittings. Dave Czirr (who owned an identical car) told me the factory filter was a full-flow unit and that the bypass piece was dangerously restrictive. So the very first thing I did was contact Burr Ripley, who made cosmetic reproductions of the large Purolator unit that used a modern spin-on type filter hidden inside. It was an easy installation and I even cleaned a bit of the crankcase while I was at it.

IMG_2989.JPG

DSCF4236.JPG

DSCF4238.JPG

DSCF4245.JPG

DSCF4247.JPG

DSCF4248.JPG

DSCF4256.JPG

DSCF4260.JPG

• Like 1

One of the factory options on this car were rear view side mirrors mounted on the fender mounted spare tires. They were stamped "Packard See-Right" and employed mounting brackets which included small padlocks. I loved the way they looked but were totally worthless for actual rear vision no matter how I adjusted them.

DSCF2383.JPG

DSCF2464.JPG

DSCF4908.JPG

DSCF4911.JPG

DSCF4912.JPG

DSCF4914.JPG

DSCF4918.JPG

DSCF4919.JPG

• Like 2

See-Rite was a well  known manufacturer of mirrors when these cars were new, advertised all the time in the souvenir programs of the custom body salons held thru 1932 and I believe were manufactured in Brooklyn , NY or near by. Car manufacturers would contract out to assorted manufacturers to have accessories made that would not be worth their time to have done "in house" nor the space to do it due to the limited interest ( extra cost - it was the depression years) things like these mirrors, stone guards, back up lights that bolted on, wind wings for open cars and enclosed cars ( before they were incorporated as part of the car styling by 1933) Vanity mirror and smoking stets as well.

• Thanks 1

That metallic color was called "Bruce Blue", and sometimes the chassis in color was done at the dealer. If it was used as a demo that would explain it better. I also notice the seldom seen "Butt Walnut" in place of the usual burled walnut on the moldings and instrument panel. The early build sort of checks that box too. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Highlander160 said:

That metallic color was called "Bruce Blue", and sometimes the chassis in color was done at the dealer. If it was used as a demo that would explain it better. I also notice the seldom seen "Butt Walnut" in place of the usual burled walnut on the moldings and instrument panel. The early build sort of checks that box too. 

I remember when I posted my interior pics on the Packard Club forum they were very impressed about the Butt Walnut - first time I ever heard that terminology.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This car came with a box of small spare parts and one rather remarkable large one. These engines came from the factory with a beautiful cast aluminum oil pan which this car had, but it also came with a very heavy handmade steel replacement oil pan. In reading through all the paperwork I found a receipt for a "made up" pan to replace a broken original. I don't remember the cost but it was not much. Quite a bargain as this pan was made from 1/8" to 1/4" thick steel bent, brazed and welded together. It included internal baffles, drain plug, sump cover and level float assembly plus a very solid drilled pan rail. Just imagine the cost to duplicate it today. Like everything else it went to the new owner when I sold the car. 

DSCF4277.JPG

DSCF4375.JPG

DSCF4376.JPG

DSCF4378.JPG

DSCF4380.JPG

DSCF4383.JPG

DSCF4385.JPG

DSCF4387.JPG

DSCF4388.JPG

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I have no idea, but it's possible the paint was thin on that piece.  I have a similar wear spot on the body line just above the driver's door handle on my '64 GP.  I think about the original owner's hand being on that spot every time I open the door.  The stories behind little character marks like that is what's great about owning an unrestored car.  ;)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, human-potato_hybrid said:

Agreed, do you know why it's wearing there specifically? Was the paint just thinner on them?

Both of the sidemount covers had wear like that but there were a number of areas with exposed primer due to polishing and contact wear over the years. I think the fenders would have been the worst but they had all been fully or partially repainted due to mishaps. 

DSCF2394.JPG

DSCF2416.JPG

DSCF2420.JPG

• Like 3