1978 PINTO RUNABOUT HATCHBACK $9,500

Hard to think about $9,500 '78 Pintos but it seems to be the world we live in. It does look like a nice example.

More pics in ad...

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/san-andreas-1978-pinto-runabout/7584981050.html

Listing this pinto for a friend of mine that is in his late 80’s and has owned it over 30 yrs
You will be dealing with him on the purchase and test drive I’m just the lister
You can contact me directly @ (209) three zero four 7352 I will weed out on tire kickers ect b4 hand then u guys work out a deal for viewing and test drive   Car is registered to him in his name the current smog just expired but will get a new valid one once a deal is made  Clean original car that runs great and has zero rust  4 cylinder with 4 spd manual trans.

00z0z_2ecZTpDugwx_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00d0d_eMSjY4KZnma_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00k0k_3To3CrMaAYb_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00H0H_8ne02UZHHKb_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00M0M_9tT3Wck2jmj_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00F0F_1RLtMQX250I_0t20CI_600x450.jpg

• Like 3

@Leif in Calif, how can you say ‘nice example’ and ‘Pinto’ within 24 hours of each other? Bite yer tongue!

I had a ‘73. Suffice to say it was a colossal sh*tbox. Automatic transmission, the dipstick tube was right next to the exhaust manifold to down pipe connection. The asbestos gasket had deteriorated in the connection. On a hard stop, the dipstick would pop-up, the trans fluid would splash out right into the missing gasket space in the exhaust. Flames shooting out of the hood. I carried a fire extinguisher at the ready. Oh, and I subsequently had the only Pinto in existence with Hedman headers and a Turbo muffler. Problem solved… that one, anyway. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We sold a 1976 Pinto two years ago to settle an estate.  It was a one owner car with a very presentable repaint in the correct color and correct reproduction upholstery and carpet.   Ran and drove great (for a Pinto).  $4500 was the best offer we had after a long time listed and we were happy to get that.  

• Like 1

The Station Wagons did not have the stub support arms that came loose in a rear end high impact and punctured the gas tank.    On later model Pinto's I believe a thick  plastic mat was put between the stub arms and the gas tank.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, DFeeney said:

The Station Wagons did not have the stub support arms that came loose in a rear end high impact and punctured the gas tank.    On later model Pinto's I believe a thick  plastic mat was put between the stub arms and the gas tank.

I don't remember the exact fix for the problem but I do remember is was very inexpensive. Another case where the bean counters caused huge problems. 

My brother in law bought one new in 1972. He actually bought a pair of cars at the same time. A 72 Gran Torino (which I bought from him) and a 72 Pinto hatchback. He used the Torino for 'date night' and the pinto was a dd. The pinto was a stick and was a great car for him. He kept it well maintained and that car lasted for many years. He talked dad into getting one for my sister around 76 or so. That one had a trunk and was automatic. It too was a great car. Until my brother ran it across a parking block in the snow and destroyed the oil pan, thus blowing up the motor. My other brother had a Pinto wagon he bought used. It had the v6, that car was the biggest pos ever. Could never get it running correctly. All in all I had a positive experience with them. 

• Like 1

I love the turquoise color on that clean Pinto. If mechanically sound, I wouldn't mind having something like that - an econobox in great condition.

Those once common disposable cars have mostly been disposed of and are hard to find. About a year ago I found something like twenty five 1956 Corvettes for sale on eBay at one time, and not one Chevette of any year. Today I found five 1956 Corvettes on eBay and one non running but original Chevette parts car...so things are getting better! 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, JamesR said:

I love the turquoise color on that clean Pinto. If mechanically sound, I wouldn't mind having something like that - an econobox in great condition.

Those once common disposable cars have mostly been disposed of and are hard to find. About a year ago I found something like twenty five 1956 Corvettes for sale on eBay at one time, and not one Chevette of any year. Today I found five 1956 Corvettes on eBay and one non running but original Chevette parts car...so things are getting better! 😄

because nobody really wanted a Chevette when they were new.  With a full load of passengers (including me), we had to turn off the AC on hills to give the little wheezer more power.  POS then and now

• Like 1

Asking $9500 and getting $9500 are 2 totally different things.

My uncle who was a well known gearhead and ace diesel mechanic traded in his 1970 Mustang Boss 302 on a new 1974 Pinto because of the gas crisis.

He had taken on a new job that was twice as far away as his previous one, and fresh marriage, mortgage and a kid. 

I went to the Ford dealer to try and buy it, but one of the guys in the shop already had it. He wouldn't resell it to me. He painted it white, from the original Boss yellow with black stripes and deleted the stripes. Yuck. My only satisfaction was watching the rust bleed thru and show up on the white.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bryankazmer said:

because nobody really wanted a Chevette when they were new.  With a full load of passengers (including me), we had to turn off the AC on hills to give the little wheezer more power.  POS then and now

I agree nobody actually wanted one, but a lot of people bought them.  They sold close to 3 million of them when all was said and done. It could be that a lot of people went into Chevy dealers in 1976 wanting a Chevelle...but ended up leaving with a Chevette. After all, there's only two letters difference between them. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Rivguy said:

Not too frequently seen. This is a nice one. It's funny what people will get nostalgic about. My brother had a Mustang II which was the same car under the skin. 

When i came to the US in 1980 to make a trip Hertz gave me such car .I still remember driving from LA  to Vegas in the desert heat without AC.When i came to Vegas i asked for another car as this was a little bit to much to be pleasant .