Old time lock smith.

yachtflame

I have a 1930 Cadillac ignition lock barrel that doesn’t have a key. There used to be a locksmith in the next town that could take the key code etched into the side of the barrel and make a key. Sadly, he’s gone. There is a shop a half hour away that does a lot of advertising saying “We’ll make a key for that” but unfortunately, if it’s not in their computer, the 20 something can’t help!

If any one knows of a real locksmith that can make a key from an actual code, please let me know.

Thanks for your help.

Wayne

I needed keys for  my 1931 Chrysler Roadster ignition, took the ignition dash piece to the local key/lock smith and they said no problem, left it with them and they were able to make a pair for $45. Not sure how they did it, likely a bit of careful hand work, trial and error, but they work perfectly.1932223103_IMG_7867(2).JPG.232ac08b661f57c8ac052db931609749.JPG 

• Like 1

Gun smoke,

thanks for the info. I’ve have keys for these locks done before by a real locksmith that knew how to look up the key code in a “book”…one made of paper and had pages and all! He was able to feed that info into his key cutter and make a key. I’m hoping to find another key craftsman like him.

I had some keys made for the door lock on my Pierce.

Took the handle with the lock still inside to an old school locksmith and he made a set of keys for it.
He used the method of using a soft blank, inserted it in the lock and then wiggled it to look at the marks made. Then he filed down the blank in certain areas until he got the key to work.

I had to leave the assembly and pick it up a few hours later but the keys work great.

No need to take the assembly apart or look up code numbers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zepher said:

I had some keys made for the door lock on my Pierce.

Took the handle with the lock still inside to an old school locksmith and he made a set of keys for it.
He used the method of using a soft blank, inserted it in the lock and then wiggled it to look at the marks made. Then he filed down the blank in certain areas until he got the key to work.

I had to leave the assembly and pick it up a few hours later but the keys work great.

No need to take the assembly apart or look up code numbers.

That process is called 'impressioning'.   If you mention that word to a locksmith and you get a 'deer in the headlights' look, find another locksmith!

• Like 3

The guy you're looking for is old and grouchy 😄 At least that was my experience! First one took an hour and $45. Second one, different smith, took him most of a day and he charged me $100 which I thought was high, but it worked. I'm pretty sure he used impressioning. 

13 hours ago, Harold said:

That process is called 'impressioning'.   If you mention that word to a locksmith and you get a 'deer in the headlights' look, find another locksmith!

I spent an hour or two last week trying this on my Nash transmission lock. I was not skilled at it! I did get it to lock but then could not get it to unlock. All in all an educational and fun experience. A local locksmith did what I could not and made me a set of good reliable keys for $26 having no original key to go on. 

• Like 2

I contacted Jesser’s via email. They responded: blanks are $48 each, $25 to cut each and $9 shipping each. That’s $82 per key. A little expensive! I started calling all the locksmiths and key shops in a 40 mile radius and found a shop that actually had books going back that far. I drove down and three guys worked on it. Turns out the springs inside have deteriorated and won’t push the slides back in place so until I can get the inner barrel out, I’m out of luck. They didn’t charge me and said that if it had all worked properly then it would’ve been $25 for the first key and $10 for the second one. Now I have to decide if I’m willing to take a chance on doing permanent damage to it but heck, it’s no good the way it is now!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, yachtflame said:

I contacted Jesser’s via email. They responded: blanks are $48 each, $25 to cut each and $9 shipping each. That’s $82 per key. A little expensive! I started calling all the locksmiths and key shops in a 40 mile radius and found a shop that actually had books going back that far. I drove down and three guys worked on it. Turns out the springs inside have deteriorated and won’t push the slides back in place so until I can get the inner barrel out, I’m out of luck. They didn’t charge me and said that if it had all worked properly then it would’ve been $25 for the first key and $10 for the second one. Now I have to decide if I’m willing to take a chance on doing permanent damage to it but heck, it’s no good the way it is now!

Let us know how to take one apart if you are successful

And here I thought any DIY/hands-on antique/classic/vintage car enthusiast/hobbyist was capable of doing something as simple as lock & key work on their own. 

I mean, it is, after all, much easier and simpler than, let’s say, rebuilding brakes, carburetor or distributor. 

Or am I to assume just about every contributor to this thread have those done by professionals also ?

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

Why would someone spend the time trying to do their own keys? The cuts can be off a little and you would need a new blank. Look at what happened to Wayne. Even if he was perfect in cutting the key the lock still wouldn’t work properly. How could he know that without an expert telling him what was wrong?  Sometimes it’s worth getting a professional involved to save dollars, time and frustration. 
Smart move Wayne, plus now you have a go to guy. 
dave s 

I like taking locks apart, putting them back together nice and clean. Just small engines! Just like I was curious what makes engines run, I was curious what made locks work. 

This curiosity over the years resulted in my having obtained Curtis clippers and a duplicator. A little more than the average hobbyist, but I think it is lots of fun! Now I offer GM key cutting (1935 and newer) and lock re-coding to fellow hobbyists. You just never know where you will end up if you go down other roads. 

Besides, just another excuse to buy more tools! You can never have too many tools I have read on here!:D

• Like 8

My local locksmith business is 102 years old, now run by second and third generation.  They have never thrown away a reference manual.  They could do this.  As mentioned above, find one of those old timers in your area.  If they don’t have the reference, they can do it by taking an impression.  Not sure where you are located, but let me know if I can help.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

I like taking locks apart, putting them back together nice and clean. Just like I was curious what makes engines run, I was curious what made locks work. 

That’s exactly what I was referring to.

I never went to a class or school for brakes, electrical, engines-transmissions-rear ends, chassis/suspension components or their geometry, machining, metal fabrication, paint & body, upholstery or lock repairs, etc, etc, but as a teenager was just curious about everything automotive and eventually taught myself enough to fix my own cars and now, I make modest living with that education and interest. 

I do admit I’m believer/follower of Inspector Callahan’s motto “Man’s got to know his limitations” and at times contract some tasks to others more experienced (professionals) in some specific fields, but have also learned that it doesn’t always mean the job/task they perform gets done right or to my expectations.

Full disclosure: I too have had locks re-keyed or repaired, but often found it easier/quicker to do it myself.

Well, if any of you here know how to get the actual lock barrel out of this casing, please let me know. I’ve tried, local locksmiths have tried and a US winner of the safe cracker challenge in Las Vegas tried but yet the barrel is still in the housing!

I mean, It went in…it’s gotta come out!

2FF733AB-1674-437C-B787-9C5BB9D0892B.jpeg

19124CDD-2DC1-441F-8BC4-EB5C7E759F95.jpeg

4B1EE952-A8ED-46B3-9F3F-D101EBE989B8.jpeg

E7B711A3-5029-4090-B18C-EB260CBA6726.jpeg

14309A76-AB7A-4913-A0F2-F4D2D6F2A655.jpeg

Edited by yachtflame (see edit history)

Is it possible a "master key" was required to be inserted into the lock to release some pin or cog inside preventing it from pulling out. Alternatively have an "impression key" made and see if it will help figure out how to remove lock cylinder. Smithies likely already thought of these methods.

• Like 1

I have done a lot of re-keying on regular door locks for houses, being as I used to have some rental property, and I have the small selection of tools needed to accomplish that.

But I never really thought about going all in for automotive locks and buying the tools and equipment needed to mess with them like Frank did.

Although, with most places that make keys switching over to the more automated key cutting machines I may be able to score a nice, old fashioned, manual one for fairly cheap.

Hmmm.

• Like 2

I've never had or used any tools or equipment specific to locksmith work, just regular shop tools. 

Like I said, it's not rocket science and is one of easiest work in (vintage) automotive repairs/services.

The most difficult part can be finding suitable blanks, but even those aren't necessarily that hard to fabricate from scratch, if needed (I've made some). 

Edited by TTR (see edit history)