George Jetson: the Future is now...

rocketraider

From August 12 The Week:

Good week for: George Jetson, future-dwelling patriarch of the 1960s cartoon series, which indicated he was born July 31 "in the impossibly far-off year 2022".

###

The show was set in 2062, so ol' George was around 40 years old in the cartoon. That implies we just might see those flying cars by 2055!

'Course some predicted we'd be in 'em by 1970s...🛸

Many of us won't be around to see them. Let's hope AACA will be around and have classes for them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, rocketraider said:

From August 12 The Week:

Good week for: George Jetson, future-dwelling patriarch of the 1960s cartoon series, which indicated he was born July 31 "in the impossibly far-off year 2022".

###

The show was set in 2062, so ol' George was around 40 years old in the cartoon. That implies we just might see those flying cars by 2055!

'Course some predicted we'd be in 'em by 1970s...🛸

Many of us won't be around to see them. Let's hope AACA will be around and have classes for them.

Gee...from the implication of recent posts and moderator comments, I didn't think the AACA would recognize flying cars, electric cars, or anything newer than 1997 (25 years). 

So, maybe in 2080 or 2087, when George's flying car has appropriately aged, the AACA will consider these alternate modes.

P.S. For future reference, what's considered low miles (hours) on a flying survivor?

I visited the Space Needle back in april. Not everyone is in line to live in one without a flying car to get around like George. 

and we still don't have a Rosie to do all the house work either. Dandy Dave!

IMG_3645 (1).JPG

IMG_3644.JPG

IMG_3641.JPG

• Like 3

Ford actually built a flying car in 1964 for the World's Fair. Called it the Levacar, and it was powered by compressed air. Supposedly they built only one, I don't know what happened to it afterwards. The cost was apparently prohibitive. AMT made a model of it though. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

As an Oldsmobile guy, I like Demolition Man, set in 2032 and sadly amazingly prescient. With luck, I might have my own 1970 W30 done by then... 😲

i002445.jpg

😳 DM was released in 1993- RIGHT AT 30 YEARS AGO! 

World has changed a lot in those 30 years. For those of us who might be alive in 2052, it will change even more, just as it has reliably since the Industrial Revolution. And we might see those flying cars yet!

Burgess- Roombas weren't really meant to be vacuum cleaners. They were made to entertain house pets! I've seen videos of cats, dogs, birds, and even one lazy snake riding around their owners' houses.

Kinda hard for Kittypuss to hitch a ride on one of these... never mind it was high-tech for its time.H0089-L46953816.jpg

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Dandy Dave said:

I visited the Space Needle back in april. Not everyone is in line to live in one without a flying car to get around like George. 

and we still don't have a Rosie to do all the house work either. Dandy Dave!

IMG_3645 (1).JPG

IMG_3644.JPG

IMG_3641.JPG

1962 World's Fair memorabilia is something else that clutters up me place. My Uncle Mack and Aunt Catherine bought a new 1961 Olds Ninety Eight and took off from Hampton VA to Seattle to visit the "Century 21 Exposition". They brought my parents back a set of iced tea glasses. Here's the one with the Space Needle.16601480388776356247782744907036.jpg16601480890478948005017291614196.jpg

I often think 1962 was a watershed year for the US. Country was prosperous, technology was in high gear, and the future was attainable. Sure there were downsides but overall life was good even for a tobacco farmer's kid in Southside Vajenya, which back then was often a decade behind the times.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

To be  honest, I'm more worried about Soylent Green. 😲

1*LHP4gobzu5bJxM2P23bO4Q.jpeg

Do you know what Soylent Green is ?  Chuck Heston :  " It's PEEEpollllllll !!!"

And its here now. Bill Gates has developed some kind of synthetic beef he grows from some kind of feed cells in a vat of secret sauce plasma derived  from blood. He has not said where the "seed cells" or blood comes from.  Mmmmmmmmmmmmm. 

26 minutes ago, Dandy Dave said:

The Jetsons first aired September of 1962. That is 60 years ago. I guess his flying car of the future is an antique. 

Look at George's sorta mundane compact space sedan compared to Jet Screamer's pink space Cadillac. Looks like big finny things were in style in 2062 as in 1962. In that future time, what do you think you'd see more of on an AACA showfield?1ee80c7d-04f9-40fb-890d-1a10c9c5fdb2_screenshot.jpg

16 hours ago, rocketraider said:

So Ah been told...👽

Re Jet Screamer: who voiced the character? Hint- he was known to throw rocks on The Andy Griffith Show. 

But Andy  trivia is a whole 'nother ball game! Plenty of old car related things there too!

Howard Jerome Morris. also Ernest T. Bass on Andy Griffith...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/10/2022 at 12:58 PM, rocketraider said:

Look at George's sorta mundane compact space sedan compared to Jet Screamer's pink space Cadillac. Looks like big finny things were in style in 2062 as in 1962. In that future time, what do you think you'd see more of on an AACA showfield?1ee80c7d-04f9-40fb-890d-1a10c9c5fdb2_screenshot.jpg

what do you think you'd see more of on an AACA showfield?

A real Rocket!

GM Oldsmobile- Ride the Rocket' Art Print | Art.com

• Thanks 1