Dang termites, New top won't hold. Off to the saw mill. 30 Model A Ford Tudor.

Dandy Dave

New wood for an old car starts here on this farm. American #1 Saw Mill. 52" blade. Power is supplied by a 1940's International UD14A Diesel engine rated at 73HP. The farm shop has plenty of wood working equipment and seasoned hard wood that has been waiting for years to get used. And there is where them dang termites have been eating. (Bottom Photo.)

IMG_3237 (1).JPG

IMG_4626.JPG

IMG_4615.JPG

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 7

Getting started. A lot of bits and pieces.  I did get a new top, but it isn't much good if the tacks don't hold.  Rotten wood everywhere. All the way down the drivers side and the drivers corner. 

IMG_4618.JPG

IMG_4620.JPG

IMG_4621.JPG

• Like 1

Good work and good luck, I made quite a few pieces for the roof area of my 1931 Chevrolet restoration, need a lot of patience and time to get them molded to fit the sheet metal properly. Used ash for structural stuff, poplar for non-structural. Then fitting them in place is also FUN!

IMG_1480B.jpg

IMG_1487B.jpg

• Like 7

Dang, you are going to show me some woodworking skills that make me regret not buying that 1930 Marquette that need all the wood! I think they would have given it to me.

• Like 2

Just an observation -unless it was used originally, do not use poplar!

Poplar will rot quicker than almost any other wood.

This from 50 years as a cabinetmaker. I have never done wood for a car, but if I did I would use ash and white (not red) oak, as both are very rot resistant.

Sapele is another rot resistant species.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Frank DuVal said:

Dang, you are going to show me some woodworking skills that make me regret not buying that 1930 Marquette that need all the wood! I think they would have given it to me.

I wood...Ahhhh... I would have taken it. 311 acers. 100 at least in wood. Lot's of equipment. Lots of time. Not much money. 😁 Dandy Dave! 

• Like 3

Just now, 64avanti said:

This from 50 years as a cabinetmaker. I have never done wood for a car, but if I did I would use ash and white (not red) oak, as both are very rot resistant.

We have a mix of white oak and ash around here. It will be a mix without poplar. I have worked with poplar in the past. Minimum of two years outside and it is rotten. After all, it is a weed. Just don't try to smoke it. 😬🤪

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Tulip Poplar or all poplars? Tulip poplars might be a weed, but they sure grow taller than everything else around here. And yes, when they fall they rot quick.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Frank DuVal said:

Tulip Poplar or all poplars? Tulip poplars might be a weed, but they sure grow taller than everything else around here. And yes, when they fall they rot quick.

I was always told just plain poplar back here. We have made some inside stuff out of it in the past. It was easy to work with and nice to finnish. I would never use it in a car with what I know about it. Will not stand up to bad weather or bugs. With the price of diesel fuel I would not waste my time cutting it unless I had someone willing to pay for it with a deposit.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

I hope it isn't your good new wood that has been eaten?

No Wayne. The new stuff has been high and dry. Here's the stuff the termites have been eating at in the car. Actually a lot of dry rot. Oh look. No wood in places. 😬 🙃 😜 Dandy Dave!

IMG_4618.JPG

IMG_4621.JPG

IMG_4622.JPG

• Like 1

I get a kick out of all the concern about some non-structural poplar. The car was 80 years old when I had to replace the wood, much of which was poplar. It is much easier to shape than oak, ash and other "hard woods". Regardless, when restoration was finished and new top put in place, everything was sealed up much better than factory, but I suppose 80 years from now someone may have to do it again. For what it's worth, most of the wood that needed replacement was ash, as roof leaks over the years drifted down both door posts to front floor side rails and all. I had to make front door posts, full windshield header assembly and front sills (spliced to back parts which were fine)(pic shows driver side sill/door post bracket). As some may know, the 1931 Chevrolet had a full wood carcass covered in sheet metal while Fords only had wood in roof opening area. BTW, these photos were taken while body was still on chassis and doing wooddwork. Eventually lifted body off for bodywork priming and restored chassis.

IMG_1544.JPG

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)

16 hours ago, Dandy Dave said:

I'll make it better.

I just had the image of you telling "Henry" you were going to make the part better. Now, just how do you think that old farm boy would reply?

You know the difference between a truck farmer and a livestock farmer is pretty well defined and he wouldn't be talking vegetables.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

...Fords only had wood in roof opening area...

Well, yes and no, at least for Model A.  Most closed cars had a bit more than just roof wood and open cars had wood top bows.  But most of it was just for tacking upholstery, top material, etc.  However, Fordors (except the 1931 slant windshield), and wagons of course, had substantial support wood, e.g.,

fordor29b155new.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

I just had the image of you telling "Henry" you were going to make the part better. Now, just how do you think that old farm boy would reply?

You know the difference between a truck farmer and a livestock farmer is pretty well defined and he wouldn't be talking vegetables.

Maybe, maybe not.  Yeah, Hank was pretty hidebound but if he could be convinced something was better, he'd embrace it.  Course, he took a lot of convincing! 😁

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

From experience I presume? ;) 

BTW, love the shop! Especially the mill area. 

Nope, Non smoker. No experiance other than smelling some kind of stinky stuff my Cousin smokes. Take it outside Dude!  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

We be livestock farmers back east here Burnie. We know what it is to shovel manure in the honey wagon, and know how to spread it real even also. Dandy Dave!

post-44142-1431424647_thumb.jpg

• Haha 1

On 7/22/2022 at 11:45 PM, 64avanti said:

Use black locust. The car will turn to red dust and the locust frame will still stand............Bob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Was about to say locust will destroy about any saw blade metal known to man...

Bush hogging a couple days ago noticed I have a couple honey locusts on the fenceline. Old folks around here prized locust wood to make shed poles since they were strong and didn't rot in the ground. Never heard them say much about trying to cut them- and there were no power saws in this part of the world then!

36 minutes ago, Mike "Hubbie" Stearns said:

I better buy some stock in saw blades if you are going to use locust. The stuff will eat saw blades for lunch and throw sparks. Mike

I was only semi serious when I recommended it for framing. But it would be permanent if one liked a challenge.

It is tough. It is hard. It is heavy. It also is pretty much impervious to insects, fungus and decay. About 50 years ago rather than pull out I cut off at ground level a bunch of locust posts I no longer wanted. Every once in awhile I hit one of the 50 year old stubs with the mower. It's as sound as the day it was buried.

As an aside, locust is VERY fast growing and makes excellent fire wood with near 30 million BTU's/cord, low ash and smoke..................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

near 30 million BTU's/cord,

Just short of 50 years in the energy business and that's the first time I have seen BTU/chord s a unit of measurement.. That includes some of the Syracuse U. fast growing willow farms for cogeneration plants.

I gotta work that into a conversation this coming week. Probably have to covert to decatherms so they don't get lost completely.

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Willow has one of the poorest BTU ratings, about 17 Million/cord. In it's favor it grows like a weed and makes the best charcoal for black powder.

The highest heat energy I've found is osage orange, about 33 Million/cord. In it's favor it's very rot resistant and makes a pretty good long bow.......bob

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bhigdog said:

The highest heat energy I've found is osage orange, about 33 Million/cord. In it's favor it's very rot resistant and makes a pretty good long bow.

Hmm, there are some Osage Orange trees in Richmond along Allen Avenue. I used to drive over those green balls going to work. Not edible to humans and most animals. Glad to know the wood is good!

4 minutes ago, Frank DuVal said:

Hmm, there are some Osage Orange trees in Richmond along Allen Avenue. I used to drive over those green balls going to work. Not edible to humans and most animals. Glad to know the wood is good!

Yup, that,s the tree. We used to call them mock oranges. I don,t think anything eats them....bob

On 7/24/2022 at 4:15 PM, rocketraider said:

Was about to say locust will destroy about any saw blade metal known to man...

Bush hogging a couple days ago noticed I have a couple honey locusts on the fenceline. Old folks around here prized locust wood to make shed poles since they were strong and didn't rot in the ground. Never heard them say much about trying to cut them- and there were no power saws in this part of the world then!

Locust is like most wood when green. Cuts like oak. Splitting is a bit stringy. Once it dries is when it gets hard to work. I would warn anyone when using to heat with. I have some friends that only put it in their stoves in small pieces and quantities.  I did see an outside boiler that the top half was quite damaged because they put too much in at once. Boiled it dry and the make up water couldn’t keep up. Mike

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

Use black locust. The car will turn to red dust and the locust frame will still stand............Bob

We have locust on the farm here also. Makes great fence posts that last for years. Need to saw some as much of the old fence is disappearing. My wife's family settled here in 1951. 71 years ago.

I would have guest that the block in the middle of the header was in the center. Doing some measuring earlier today and found it is not. But off to one side. I like to work from the center out on these kind of projects. And then take full, and side to side measurements from there. More to come. Stay tuned to our unschedualed programing.

• Haha 1