1970 Ford Mustang Boss 429, 1 of 500. Sold - $442,000

nick8086

It was sold in Kearney NE.. 

A last-minute bidding war Thursday with a would-be buyer from Iowa, driving the car’s price from $276,000 to $442,000 — nearly $150,000 more than he and others expected.

The Boss 429, one of fewer than 500 sold in 1970 and considered one of the rarest Mustangs.

You have to hit rewind on this one..

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

If you are into late model stuff a 2022 McClaren is a better buy and you would have over $100,000. left over for gas and whatever.

Bob!  There is a 50 year difference between the production date of that Boss and 2022.      I like Musclecars but will stick with prewar unless the perfect 66 or 69 GTO shows up.

Btw,  a stock 428CJ will take a Boss 429 in a drag race,   as the latter is detuned quite a bit for the road.   The price on this one makes zero sense given the door fit I see.   Also,  they are not my definition of rare,  always a few nice examples for sale.

• Like 1

Define Muscle Cars - to me it always meant a pre WWII era car with no power steering going really slow and the car weighing nearly 3 tons. Or something of that pre WWII era with a long wheelbase and you trying to get it maneuvered about in a very very tight space. Yeah , I know it is pre war thinking stuck in an era syndrome.................... where running boards prevail and side curtains flow and a tumble in a rumble seat is a fond dream....( that for the most part will never be experienced). 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

N case ,nine inches are plenty strong. But Mustangs have always suffered from near terminal, leaf spring wind up. Ford posi cases break, they need a Detroit locker for high HP use. All solvable problems , but not in pure stock form.

Ford knew the Boss 9 would work better in a Torino / Cyclone body , but chose to shoe horn them into Mustangs for some strange reason.

The ultimate Boss9 car is a 1969 Nascar , 1/2 chassis, Cyclone or Torino. Thats what the engine was built for in the first place. 1/2 chassis mod is essential if you want to be able to use all that " Shotgun Hemi " power.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to 1970 Ford Mustang Boss 429, 1 of 500. Sold - $442,000

A Boss 9 is def near the top of the pecking order for Mustangs. If the one sold has 1100hp It has had some serious work done to the motor, which in my opinion devalues an original car. Agree the door fitment looks a bit sketchy. I like the fastback mustangs but not in the half million dollar range. This car would have to  be PERFECT in every way for that kind of money and then I would not want to drive it. SO, I have spent very little and have a car with so so h/p that I can drive safely, and enjoy without the worries of a stone chip.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, alsancle said:

The price on this one makes zero sense given the door fit I see. 

I watched the clip but he didn't get on it.

In the 1970's we had a couple of SBC Vegas that would pop the passenger door on every launch. Seems like the back window came out of a notch back.

Never was much of a unbibody guy myself.

5 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

WHAT IS THE POINT?????????????? I'm close to 72 years old now NEVER understood the fascination of burning off the rear tires of any car. 

I agree Bob , much more fun to do 100 mph in a pre 1915 car with two wheel brakes, or shaft drive brake and tires 4 1/2 inches wide on the ground surface and a T head engine. Chain drive is ok but not totally necessary as you can't hear anything with the cut out open all the way anyhow. But my days of doing that are long over, with Austin Clark at the wheel of his Type 35 Mercer or 50+ HP Simplex speed car. Only trouble with the cut out open was that the law enforcement heard you coming when we were on North Sea Road heading south from Sag Harbor to Southampton. Glory Days of yore.

I turned 73 this past Monday and if the surgery goes well next tuesday I may be back here to annoy all of you again..........................but it will be  a while.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

Only problem with a Mercer T head or a Simplex Speed Car is they make this Mustang look dirt cheap. 

QUALITY has a habit of doing that. Took 49 years to finally get a 20 minute long ride in a fender less T head MERCER. 

1 hour ago, 60FlatTop said:

I watched the clip but he didn't get on it.

In the 1970's we had a couple of SBC Vegas that would pop the passenger door on every launch. Seems like the back window came out of a notch back.

Never was much of a unibody guy myself.

There was a reason why GM would only use an S-10 for the Syclone and the Typhoon.

Craig

1 hour ago, Walt G said:

if the surgery goes well next tuesday I may be back here to annoy all of you again..........................but it will be  a while.

Best wishes on your surgery Walt and I hope that your are back soon and for a very long while after!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

WHAT IS THE POINT?????????????? I'm close to 72 years old now NEVER understood the fascination of burning off the rear tires of any car. 

I agree...I never thought it was cool and I graduated from HS in 1970. I never saw any point in so-called "muscle cars"...and wouldn't cross the street to look at one. That is, if I actually recognized it as such which is very problematical. I did have a classmate whose father bought him a Shelby Mustang when he turned 16 but I can't say he was a friend. He wasn't...Captain of the football team who wouldn't have been caught dead talking to a nerd like me.

• Like 2

I liked them a lot untill about 10 years ago. Then the price of gas plus some pretty harsh changes to our local { British Columbia } Motor Vehicle Act made them hard to justify. Had a few in my younger years. But unfortunately my father wasn't paying any of my bills, every cent came out of my pocket . He wasn't too concerned about what I chose to drive, as long as things didn't end in tragedy like was the case with a few I knew. He wasn't much of a fan of my motorcycles however, thought that was pushing my luck a bit too far. Mostly fast Fords , with a GS 400 Buick thrown in for good measure. Great memories !

If you ever get the chance JV you should try driving a real Muscle Car. Big block , 4 speed, preferably ram air. You will probably be happily surprised. They are quite a unique experience. Let the clutch out slowley , give it a bit of gas, get to 5 or 6 MPH and hammer it ! Instantly things start to happen, and I mean fast ! Pure adrenaline.

1 hour ago, 1937hd45 said:

QUALITY has a habit of doing that. Took 49 years to finally get a 20 minute long ride in a fender less T head MERCER. 

Quality is one thing. But a Million $ + price tag is just a bit out of reach I am afraid.   

Love Mercers , but  they are truly for the fortunate few. Never going to be in that club.

1 hour ago, JV Puleo said:

I agree...I never thought it was cool and I graduated from HS in 1970. I never saw any point in so-called "muscle cars"...and wouldn't cross the street to look at one. That is, if I actually recognized it as such which is very problematical. I did have a classmate whose father bought him a Shelby Mustang when he turned 16 but I can't say he was a friend. He wasn't...Captain of the football team who wouldn't have been caught dead talking to a nerd like me.

Class of 1968 and I don't know if "Muscle Cars" were ever marketed here in Connecticut, I sure never noticed them, too busy working on Model A & T Fords. Sure I'd be happy to flip any decaled over rated street racer but have zero interest in driving one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1912Staver said:

If you ever get the chance JV you should try driving a real Muscle Car. Big block , 4 speed, preferably ram air. You will probably be happily surprised. They are quite a unique experience. Let the clutch out slowley , give it a bit of gas, get to 5 or 6 MPH and hammer it ! Instantly things start to happen, and I mean fast ! Pure adrenaline.

That is pretty unlikely to happen, if only because I'm very reluctant to drive other people's cars, especially if they a extremely valuable. Of course, I don't know anyone with such a car either...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JV Puleo said:

That is pretty unlikely to happen, if only because I'm very reluctant to drive other people's cars, especially if they a extremely valuable. Of course, I don't know anyone with such a car either...

We could start a club, I'd like to ride shotgun in a lot of stuff, London to Brighton up to Two Man INDY cars. The drive it till it brakes never sounded like fun to me. 

Bob

When I was repairing antique cars I'd have to test drive them. It's something I was never comfortable with since if anything happened, regardless of whose fault it was, I'd feel responsible and a car that was valued at about 10 times my annual income would, literally, ruin me. I did it, but I don't think I ever enjoyed it. For some reason, I don't feel the same way about letting a fellow enthusiast drive my car if they are someone whose opinion I value but letting anyone do it just for a thrill doesn't inspire me.

The 1970 Mustang fastback is my favorite classic Mustang. It could be a Boss, a Mach One or just a standard sports roof. Several years ago I bought and fixed up a six cylinder coupe model and could enjoy the vintage vibe. There were quite a few things that I did not like about it, aside from the performance. Ergonomics are very poor. I couldn't reach the dash controls with the fixed shoulder belt on, the instruments are hard to read in bright light due to shadows, the ventilation was poor. There are safety issues concerning the gas tank location and design. I could put up with these issues when the cars cost four thousand dollars. I don't think that I'd spend the 30-40 grand a nice Mach One would go for, but that's just me. I think the 2005-2009 models are a nice tribute and bought an '06 GT convertible a couple of weeks ago. A great car and close enough for me to relive the past.

9 hours ago, Rivguy said:

There are safety issues concerning the gas tank location and design. I could put up with these issues when the cars cost four thousand dollars. I don't think that I'd spend the 30-40 grand a nice Mach One would go for, but that's just me. I think the 2005-2009 models are a nice tribute and bought an '06 GT convertible a couple of weeks ago. A great car and close enough for me to relive the past.

Considering it would be a 'limited use' vehicle, I would not be concerned with the fuel tank location/design.  I recall the front seatbacks could also let go on those cars under hard acceleration if the driver or passenger were heavy enough.

Craig

10 hours ago, Rivguy said:

The 1970 Mustang fastback is my favorite classic Mustang. It could be a Boss, a Mach One or just a standard sports roof. Several years ago I bought and fixed up a six cylinder coupe model and could enjoy the vintage vibe. There were quite a few things that I did not like about it, aside from the performance. Ergonomics are very poor. I couldn't reach the dash controls with the fixed shoulder belt on, the instruments are hard to read in bright light due to shadows, the ventilation was poor. There are safety issues concerning the gas tank location and design. I could put up with these issues when the cars cost four thousand dollars. I don't think that I'd spend the 30-40 grand a nice Mach One would go for, but that's just me. I think the 2005-2009 models are a nice tribute and bought an '06 GT convertible a couple of weeks ago. A great car and close enough for me to relive the past.

I like to be safe, but in regards to old cars, there is no comparison to anything. Just drive safe and hope others around you do the same. You will love the new mustang. When I finished the resto on my trans am I bought my wife a new car as compensation. Its a 2014 Mustang Convertible. Its a 6 but has over 300hp, gets 26 mpg and is a blast to drive. That one is 'her baby', I have to ask if I can drive it, LOL.