Unbelievable stupid Luck ….. to me - 1934 Dodge Dr rumble seat coupe

Porsche 68

Got the car home today started just looking at the things Found original registrations from the 40s into the late 60s interior is in unbelievable condition Paint is scratched chipped some surface rust motor is stuck soaking in mmmo all original tools jack spare tire and a factory winter front i will try to keep everyone up to date as I have dialysis 3 days a week good days bad days.    John

5E9F6A75-4CE5-45FF-8901-7924E2FD8361.jpeg

00F9DF74-E4E9-41E2-A780-4A3D3CFEB1F9.jpeg

• Like 16

13 hours ago, Porsche 68 said:

My left rear tail says Dodge on it found period glass lenses new in box doesn’t say dodge on them.   John

Probably no help but I have NORS Lynx Eye lenses for '34-'35 Plymouth and Chrysler six and '35 Dodge. No "Dodge" or Plymouth" name on them. I also have NORS doors for '28-'31 Plymouth and Desoto and '29-'31 Dodge. 

FYI

The original tail lens would be with large 'DODGE' lettering across the center of the lens.  These are the typical 'press in' type lenses without a bezel.  If you need one give me a yell, I think I have a spare or two originals.  The front turn signals are unusual, have never seen these before, wonder if these were an add-on or if this was originally an export car.  Finally, could you run a photo of your dash center? From the photos you have posted it looks like you have a round ashtray, something I have NEVER seen on a 34 Dodge or Plymouth, the ash trays being rectangular such as shown in the photos of the dash on my 34 DRXX.  Very interesting.  Note that the headlight switch on mine is incorrect, should be a rotary switch with a lever-shaped handle, like shown in the photo of my 34 Plymouth PE dash.  Can't get over how nice your car is, have to keep it original.

100_8537.JPG

20220121_072552.jpg

20220121_072907.jpg

• Like 2

I was going to mention that round ash tray as well. All the '34s I have seen and the one I used to own had the square ash tray and the radio control heads fit there. As I mentioned earlier on the Horns being left and right, there is another anomaly you might investigate. That dash mounted headlight switch with the lever controls 'Off-park LO-and HI beam In that order. BUT there is also a foot operated dimmer switch that controls Hi-Lo on ONLY the LEFT headlight! That foot switch has preference over the dash switch when in the HI beam position. I wonder which engineer thought that one up? I guess it kind of makes sense dimming the light closest to oncoming traffic. I do not know of any other car that does that but am always welcome to learn something new. Good Luck and keep having fun!

I like the off brand plain tail light lens.......it's little things like that that make a true unmolested car unique. If it were mine and it fit I would run with it. We once had a car that was well known and I took off a club plate topper that was on the car for 60 years.......I got an earfull from the crowds at Pebble. 

Knob above the ashtray is for the 'free wheeling' cable control.  Looks like somebody put an accessory round ashtray into the stock square hole, interesting.  The stock ash tray when opened is a little small so maybe the owner was a cigar smoker and needed a bigger tray!  I agree, the under-dash switch is probably for the heater.  The ignition switch is in the correct spot but has been changed out, original one would have been inset into the dash and would have been an Yale Omega keyed switch as shown in the dash picture of my 34 DRXX, using those odd Omega bent keys.  You should have lots of fun with this Dodge, great car with the independent front coil suspension, hydraulic brakes, almost all steel construction and those unique, one-year-only two-way windows.  As to 1937hd45's question on size, these are bigger than a Ford but smaller than a Buick, wheelbase is, I believe, 117 or 119 inches

• Like 1

My DeSoto has a similar knob under the dash and it's wired to the fan on the heater. 

Finding a car like yours is a once in a life time treasure. I'd love to be in your shoes. Enjoy!.

Excellent news took the head off this motor no terrible surprises cylinder number 6 had a little rust cleaned up with a scotch brite pad and PB blaster had to play whack a mole with a couple of valves turns over great 40 psi oil pressure when cranking ‘ Kust gotta do a clean up hopefully get it running this weekend! John 

78AD0AB5-6D42-47AF-A4A5-99CE35F8076C.jpeg

F5A88379-2086-40F5-AD82-D9630C9EE2F7.jpeg

• Like 6

Ed last oil change was done in 1967 according to the oil sticker it only went 652 miles since then🤣Yes oil pan is coming off this weekend If it runs well I will leave it alone over the winter I’ll re ring it and do a valve job   John

• Like 2

11 hours ago, 31plymouth said:

Did they still have free wheeling in 34?   Most knobs are marked "free wheeling".

Yes the 34 Dodges and Plymouths still had free wheeling and the knob is unmarked.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, edinmass said:

Be sure to drop the pan and clean it. Also run evapo rust in the cooling system straight………

Do a compression check after you have it running…..it’s a good baseline for when you ring and valve it. It’s ALWAYS a good idea to do the top end……..cars like this are usually down 25 percent on the power……or more. Those are 30’s valves…….replace with modern if possible. With today’s driving conditions you will tent to turn it faster than it likes. I would run straight ten weight in it for a few hundred miles. Then switch over to 40 if you live in a warm area. Otherwise 20-50.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/16/2022 at 8:02 AM, Scott Bonesteel said:

Knob above the ashtray is for the 'free wheeling' cable control.  Looks like somebody put an accessory round ashtray into the stock square hole, interesting.  The stock ash tray when opened is a little small so maybe the owner was a cigar smoker and needed a bigger tray!  I agree, the under-dash switch is probably for the heater.  The ignition switch is in the correct spot but has been changed out, original one would have been inset into the dash and would have been an Yale Omega keyed switch as shown in the dash picture of my 34 DRXX, using those odd Omega bent keys.  You should have lots of fun with this Dodge, great car with the independent front coil suspension, hydraulic brakes, almost all steel construction and those unique, one-year-only two-way windows.  As to 1937hd45's question on size, these are bigger than a Ford but smaller than a Buick, wheelbase is, I believe, 117 or 119 inches

Yes, the DR (which this is) should be 117" wheelbase.  The larger DS had a 121" wheelbase.  Mopar wheelbases are nuts in 34, ranging from 108" on the Plymouth PF and PG, 114" on the Plymouth PE, 117" on the Dodge DR and DRXX, 119" on the Dodge KCL Express and Panel, to 121" on the Dodge DS.  I am sure there are more.

Got the top end cleaned up ran a tap and die over everything replaced I broken head stud Dropped oil pan very little sludge car must of been well maintained pulled number 6 offending piston good thing rings stuck to piston  pulling the rest today Happy Father’s Day all !  John

FF8C5A3D-87A4-4C2A-8F8D-FB50F2588D80.jpeg

32A9AA69-D843-402B-8647-EB1806831D6B.jpeg

• Like 4