Kenworthy

edinmass

All right, let’s add to the legendary cars from 1919-1921 that no one has any information on........

Tossing down the gauntlet.......Kenworthy.........4,6, and 8. Big car, interesting coachwork, unusual power plants. What does anyone have on them. They built about 200 of them, and two survive. Thoughts? Photos? Ed.

Not to be mistaken for a Henway!

2A806DD9-F8CF-40D5-BCD1-E399C7E0953D.png

B9450B57-E2C8-4FD4-9CB3-5BEBD54DECE7.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ed - could you show a better picture, one where the name of the carburetor shows? ;)

I am not positive. My first thought was Rayfield, because of the covers; but it resembles a Stewart-Warner that also made a side-draft with covers.

So going to guess Stewart-Warner.

Jon.

image.png.429b6f569913225eb0ce49161df4fcb5.png

"Motor Age", Dec 20th. 1920 includes a table with specifications for many makes. Both the  Kenworthy 4-80 & 6-55 are listed. Interestingly the 4-80 is listed as having a Duesenberg 4 cylinder engine with a Stromberg carb. The 6-55 with a 6 cylinder Continental with a Stromberg as well. No listing for the 8 cylinder.

• Thanks 1

Guess I guessed wrong!

In the FWIW category, my records show the 6 was a Continental 9-N with a Stromberg LB-2 assembly number A-7272.

Would like to know which Rayfield. Most of the Rayfield covers were not round; whereas those used by Stewart-Warner were round.

Further study of my records show the Duesenberg 4 used a Stromberg type O-3 assembly number A-7303.

Jon

Edited by carbking (see edit history)
  • Like 1

"Designed by Kurt Hitke..."

Hitke was a fairly famous racing driver. 

Normally I don't like wikipedia but for a very quick search.... Interesting the connections you can find.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Hitke

Hitke in his Roamer Special 1919

https://indianamemory.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/IMS/id/16827

In 1919 he brought his Kenworthy (the article implies it was a rebuilt Roamer) home in third place at Cincinnati. Note that C.Y. Kenworthy was listed as a Chicago Roamer dealer. ("Motor Age", October 16, 1919)

image.png.f6cad400f4450976edf1686fc11ac50f.png

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, oldcarfudd said:

A projection of a million and a half cars in 1921 seems pessimistic.  Didn't Ford alone make 2 million Ts that year?

1921 turned out to be a recession year and car sales were down, consequently. many auto manufacturers went under.

Craig

• Thanks 1

Ed - I would pose a question, not meant as a contradiction:

You mentioned the White carburetor as being manufactured by White.

I am aware of a number of different carburetors which had the car manufacturer's name, and not the carburetor company's name on the carburetor; in other words, carburetors made specifically for a car manufacturer.

The one that most would be familiar with would be the Packard Air Valve carburetor used by Packard from the mid teens to early 1929. Virtually all of these have the wording "Packard Motor Car Co", and no trace of Detroit Lubricator. For years, one of the early Packard enthusiasts and I had a friendly "argument" about these, until I finally found one with the Detroit Lubricator name on the bowl cover. Later, another enthusiast found the original print.

Much more common were carburetors such as the ones built for Cole and Studebaker by Stromberg respectively, that had both names on the bowl covers.

Before you posted pictures, I had not seen another carburetor with the exact internals of the White, and still haven't. Just bringing up some "food for thought".

I do not have the capability, but would be interesting to see if White recorded any patents on the carburetor design.

Jon.

There was a Kenworthy owned by a collector in Tallahassee, FL in the early 1980's.  I may have pictures somewhere.  I left there in 1985 and he passed a few years later.  I think his son kept some of the cars, but I don't know where this car is now.

Anyone deciding to tun Kenworthy thru old trade journals and old parts catalogs  may have a job on their hands...'

I have a 24 piston catalog, pretty reliable, that lists  a model 55 Kenworh truck for 1920 with a Cont'l 9N, almost  certainly the Kenworthy 6-55 noted above...