The first drive of 2022.....

Chris Bamford

Sorry, folks, but today to start the new year, we'll reach a sunny and comfortable 81 Fahrenheit here in New Orleans.

There will be a cold front coming through about the time the Sugar Bowl Football game ends at the SuperDome,

bu we'll be comfortable at home, watching on TV.

Drove the '54 Caddy convertible yesterday, but that was just another day in paradise.

Happy and healthy New Year to all in the hobby,

Marty & Dale

Taos Chrome 2010 - 1954 Cadillac 010.jpg

Taos Chrome 2010 - 1954 Cadillac 007.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, JamesR said:

Love the freezing driving pics, Chris. Love the hot weather driving pics, Marty. Average out the temps between the two and you just about have my ideal weather for driving around in old cars! 😄

So ---

Statistically,

after a night of partying,

if you have your aching feet in a tub of warm water,

and an ice pack on your aching head,

You're statistically comfortable, right?

Hope everybody is doing well, and didn't get in big crowds last night - we stayed home, enjoyed each other, rang in the new year, got some rest, and looked for old cars in this morning's Rose Bowl Parade - saw a couple of Pierce-Arrows and a fire truck, and several good bands. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

Sorry, folks, but today to start the new year, we'll reach a sunny and comfortable 81 Fahrenheit here in New Orleans.

You can quit your braggin now. I've been down there in the summer heat and humidity. Also down there shortly after Katrina went through. What a mess. I have to admit that while I'm setting here looking outside at the snow and -4 Degs. that your 81 degs. is starting to sound pretty good. 

Nice you get out and enjoy this time of year. 

• Haha 1

Chris, great pic, I can hardly get my wife to participate in car activities in the warm weather let alone in the winter, not to mention that time of day and those temps!

Marty, sounds good but I dont think those pics were taken in LA, unless its the high country, LOL.

Rainy and warm in MD today.  I used to take my motorcycle out on New Years Eve and New Years Day. It was my last day of the year ride and my first day of the year ride. I would do so regardless of temps but not if there was snow or ice on the ground. Havent done that for a few years now.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Chris Bamford said:

Lady Michelle braved -29°C to join me for a brief outing minutes after midnight. Hats off to all the spouses who enable our obsessions.

Happy New Year to All!

716093636_24T1stdrive2022-1-1.jpg.26e75e5c1696631caf3560eccfff2423.jpg

I doff my hat to you sir! Zeke

On 1/1/2022 at 2:18 PM, Fossil said:

You can quit your braggin now. I've been down there in the summer heat and humidity. Also down there shortly after Katrina went through. What a mess. I have to admit that while I'm setting here looking outside at the snow and -4 Degs. that your 81 degs. is starting to sound pretty good. 

Nice you get out and enjoy this time of year. 

We're situated on the south shore of Lake Pontchartrain so our temps are always moderated and usually blessed with nice breezes-

After a couple of years I learned to deal with the summertime humidity, and yes, it was initially a lot to deal with-

but was amazed that it never got as oppressively hot here as we had experienced in New York, New Jersey, Indiana, Virginia, and some of the other places where we had lived and served.

• Like 2

On 1/1/2022 at 3:03 PM, TAKerry said:

Marty, sounds good but I dont think those pics were taken in LA, unless its the high country, LOL.

We do love to get out and travel, and did a lot more before health issues slowed us down.

I believe that pic was taken during a VMCCA tour, somewhere between Taos and Santa Fe, New Mexico

• Like 1

After having spent a week/month at our vacation condo in NO during the eight years we lived in Florida I can testify that any weather related discomfort is easily offset by the food, music and people.  Pam and I miss it very much and still love to vacation there, especially during French Quarter Festival.  Missed you and Dale on the Buzzy tour in Orlando.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Robert G. Smits said:

After having spent a week/month at our vacation condo in NO during the eight years we lived in Florida I can testify that any weather related discomfort is easily offset by the food, music and people.  Pam and I miss it very much and still love to vacation there, especially during French Quarter Festival.  Missed you and Dale on the Buzzy tour in Orlando.

Thanks Bob, and we deeply regret not being able to attend the Buzzy Tour in Orlando. Following medical rescheduling, Dale's treatments caused us to miss not only Orlando, but also Branson, Broken Arrow, and Cottonwood. We were able to attend and judge at Tempe, as well as to drive the tour there. Now looking forward to Founders Tour based in Mobile, Alabama March 20-26, 2022, and hopefully to judge in Puerto Rico

Yes, the music, food, and most importantly the people make New Orleans one of the most endearing places ever. I grew up in New Jersey, came here on a visit, met the love of my life nearly 54 years ago. After transferring here, and following multiple job-related relocations, we managed to make this magical place our home once again. I've enjoyed playing with some of the best, and best known known musicians over the years, feasted on the offerings of some of the finest chefs, viewed interesting art offerings, shared a lifetime of memories, and enjoyed the heck out of it.

My goal (longer-term, of course) will be,

not to arrive at my grave as a pristinely preserved capsule,

but to skid in sideways,

steaming,

jiving,

laughing,

relishing the excess,

and singing

Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah, 

Good Lord - What a Ride !

See You Down The Road 

Marty,

You're hallucinating as usual.  I know you long for the salted streets of NJ as that will give you a chance to redo your Caddy rust from that hideous white to a more pleasing Plum Crazy Purple.

Please send money as the Doctor says I get an hours furlough tomorrow.  I need it for the non staining paints that I need for coloring books for my padded cell.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 1/1/2022 at 2:12 AM, Chris Bamford said:

Lady Michelle braved -29°C to join me for a brief outing minutes after midnight. Hats off to all the spouses who enable our obsessions.

Happy New Year to All!

716093636_24T1stdrive2022-1-1.jpg.26e75e5c1696631caf3560eccfff2423.jpg

Are you going to repeat this drive a few days earlier, considering its -26 below F outside right now!!

It's supposed to be much warmer on January 1st!

Craig

Make it a tradition, but do it in the daylight like we do in Florida.   For at least 30+ years we've done a "Birthday Tour" on New Years Day when all the cars turn a year older.   We've had as many as 61 cars with the PIN-MAR Antique Car Club in the Tamps Bay area.   Since we moved to the Smoky Mountains, I've had to start a "Birthday Tour" here too.   We don't get 61 cars but 8-10 hardy antique cars is a win too.   It's a low traffic day and the roads are all ours.

Edited by Paul Dobbin (see edit history)