1973 *AMC* *ambassador* *Station Wagon* Green - $28,900 (Jim Babish Auto Sales Inc.)

You are looking at a 1973 American Motors Ambassador Brougham 4 door Station Wagon with ONLY 48,900 Actual Miles! This Vintage Waggy was ordered new at Hill View Motors in Greensburg PA as a demo, and they ordered it right!!  THis AMC Longroof is powered by the top dog 401 ci V8, matted to a torque-command column shift with the twin grip rear differential. Third row seats and Air Conditioning I LOVE THE COLOR COMBO WITH THE WOOD GRAIN!!!!  The Coker wide whites just set it off. This car has been stored properly over the years and has always stayed here in the mountains of western PA. This car turns the heads of young and old everywhere you take it. It runs and drives great. All of the buttons and bells work properly. There are NO funny odors. All the Lights work. If you are looking for some thing rare, and unique that is only going to go up in value this is your new wagon. Be sure to view all 100 photos at www.jimbabishauto.com. We ship world wide. Thanks for looking.

https://altoona.craigslist.org/ctd/d/tire-hill-1973-amc-ambassador-station/7420268220.html

• Like 2

Nice car.  I wish it was for sale by an AMC enthusiast,

who would likely price it realistically.  AMC's are

interesting cars, not seen often, but because their

following is small, they typically don't command high prices.

Here are a few pictures, and contact information, for our

"Not Mine" record:

Jim Babish Auto Sales Inc.

Johnstown, Penna.

814-212-5143

00w0w_iWr1e09nhUFz_0kE0fu_1200x900.jpg

00A0A_Uke5eTiA2Ez_0kE0fu_1200x900.jpg

00q0q_kZCMzpaSW4oz_0kE0fu_1200x900.jpg

00P0P_lAJF0u063WXz_0kE0fu_1200x900.jpg

00W0W_jLhnrr1hs5cz_0kE0fu_1200x900.jpg

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Yep, ditch the WWW as soon as possible.  This is a remarkably well-preserved, very uncommon wagon - a real time capsule.  The interior is spectacular, with the exception being the tear/split area on the passenger rear seat.  It might well bring something near the $20,000 mark to the right person.

Nice to see a somewhat oddball wagon in such great condition.

• Like 3

Same thoughts here. I was going to make a comment how so many people put down white walls on pre war cars. I like them but obviously wasnt alive then to know if they were right or not. I see them in both respects looking at old pics and movies. HOWEVER I was alive when these cars were new and NEVER saw something like this!! 70's whitewall version would be a thin line maybe 1/2" wide that would look fine. But these are just plain stupid!! AMC were on the list of cars to me as some of the ugliest out there. Now I have a new respect for them and think that some are quite stylish. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TAKerry said:

Same thoughts here. I was going to make a comment how so many people put down white walls on pre war cars. I like them but obviously wasnt alive then to know if they were right or not. I see them in both respects looking at old pics and movies. HOWEVER I was alive when these cars were new and NEVER saw something like this!! 70's whitewall version would be a thin line maybe 1/2" wide that would look fine. But these are just plain stupid!! AMC were on the list of cars to me as some of the ugliest out there. Now I have a new respect for them and think that some are quite stylish. 

Kerry, usually it is just me peeing on them.  I do it so much it seems like a crowd.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Definately unusual.  Growing up the LTD with faux wood was in most family driveways along with the Chevy Kingswood and the occasional mopar. Never one of these.  In the 25+ years we have been in our neighborhood the sea of minivans have morphed into Jeeps, Chevy Tahoes and Explorers. Wonder what the oddball will be in 30 or 40 years..

• Like 1

Dick Teague and his styling group began to hit stride with the 1967 models for a few years and with some exceptions, created a period of attractive styling.  The Ambassadors, Javelins, AMX, even the Hornet.  Of course, there were the quirky: Gremlin: those that rather missed the mark: Rebel/Matador.  But they really went off the rails with the 1974 Matador coupe and box-nose sedans/wagons.  The Pacer an 'acquired taste'.

• Like 2

This very car was for sale in the Hershey car corral

this year.  The AACA Hershey Region pictured a

sampling of car-corral cars in their newsletter, and

this nice wagon was among them.

Clearly, when 100,000 people walk by your car for sale

and no one buys it, it isn't realistically priced.

Someone should be happy to be the next owner

when the dealer gives up his $29,000 goal.

• Like 2

On 12/14/2021 at 10:18 AM, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Definately unusual.  Growing up the LTD with faux wood was in most family driveways along with the Chevy Kingswood and the occasional mopar. Never one of these.  In the 25+ years we have been in our neighborhood the sea of minivans have morphed into Jeeps, Chevy Tahoes and Explorers. Wonder what the oddball will be in 30 or 40 years..

I have one of those occasional Mopars

stuff 002.jpg

• Like 1

Totally agree on the overly wide white walls not fitting aesthetically on this car, but that's just one of many disturbing things I see on nice old 60's and 70's wagons. There are mag wheels, tinted windows, headers, glass packs and a variety of other items that scream, "I Live In A Trailer Park!!! " when put on an otherwise cool 4 door wagon (and, yes, I understand that many of those people don't live in trailer parks.)

PS - I forgot to mention in my rant that this is a very cool car in seemingly beautiful condition. A lot of money, but I'm not acquainted with that market. For some reason the extended '73 front bumper didn't look too bad on the Ambassador.

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Maybe it's because I'm all Irish, but green is my favorite color. I know, however, that isn't true for most guys. A green color can actually be a negative. I always like the way tinted glass enhances the green color on cars. I'm a little puzzled by the black center in the hub caps, though. I checked other '73 Ambassadors on Google images and it is correct:

62715627-770-0@2X.jpg

• Like 1

It's too bad it is so highly priced.  Most of us are not fans of dealers.    The car itself surely is one of less than 50 in existence at all (I mean for the era of AMC).   It deserves preservation - and new appropriate tires.   Problem is, after our comments, the car will drop off and eventually be noted as sold, but we will never know WHAT is sold for.  Dealers will keep swinging for the fences though. 

When I was a teenager, my parents bought a brand new 1973 AMC station wagon in this same color green without the wood grain.  We only had the car for a couple of months when we took a family trip from Sacramento to Lake Tahoe.  Two adults and three teen boys.   My dad was cussing the all the way up every mountain pass on highway 80.  The car had no power to pull the mountain grades.  After we returned from that trip my parents traded in the new AMC station wagon on a brand new Chrysler New Yorker Brougham with the big V8.   Dad didn't complain about the power in the Chrysler - he switched to complaining about how much Chrysler sucked up the gas.   

• Haha 1

• 5 months later...
On 12/21/2021 at 11:12 AM, B Jake Moran said:

It's too bad it is so highly priced.  Most of us are not fans of dealers.   

Evidently, this station wagon has ended up in the hands

of another dealer.  It is on the Hemmings internet site.

Our original listing didn't include a photo, but this is the 

same model with just 100 more miles than before.  Now

it is for sale with an unlisted price;  and the offering dealer

typically has high asking prices.  Here is the link and a picture:

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/amc/ambassador/2578873.html

Orlando Classic Cars, Orlando, Florida, telephone 407-428-0116

junk--1973 AMC Ambassador wagon.jpg

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)