1923 Kissel Model 6-45 Gold Bug Speedster

Everything’s going right lately! Just finished assembling the refinished and re-nickeled  top irons and top bows and after figuring out front and rear faces, these all fit perfectly and are square. If you ever disassemble your top bows, CFC9CE82-FEA6-4EB0-BC53-3B67A4944B57.jpeg.b5c330d005687b42542cdc8e8edc1424.jpeg16D0AC4B-BA0D-44DE-AFDB-4653B9126C6E.jpeg.077e131fab8166a8bc391f9049388066.jpeg540AED44-5F9A-4401-91BC-D0FF88827B53.jpeg.ad78ab7643b118709f3ba6e07fd7a081.jpeg91AEEB58-74EE-420D-B009-3E98AD396635.jpeg.8bf8c37edd3eab29366b661dc7157fd2.jpegmark the fronts and L and R to avoid confusion. Now just to store them safely until installation.

Ron Hausmann P.E.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

Nothing better than an owner restored car……….nothing at all. Well done. 👍👍👍

Mark my words. This car will be, when done, the epitome of Kissels in circulation. I hope to show it and win at Pebble Beach when she’s done. A model 6-45 Kissel is the longest wheelbase and has the rare and exotic outrigger seats! Great car.

C2E2BF23-081F-4B21-B89B-18DEFB52A152.jpeg

A2E614E1-03A4-4620-A7EE-74009AC955EE.jpeg

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

All - We finally got the body sandblasted and all the major body panels primed in black. See pictures. Paddock Painting is test-assembling these to check alignment and to see where body metalwork may need to be addressed. Also to see where previously undetected imperfections may also need attention. There are a lot.

Now progress on the car will recommence.

Ron Hausmann P. E.

IMG_9647.jpeg

IMG_9645.jpeg

IMG_9648.jpeg

IMG_9649.jpeg

IMG_9650.jpeg

IMG_9651.jpeg

IMG_9652.jpeg

IMG_9655.jpeg

IMG_9653.jpeg

IMG_9654.jpeg

• Like 11

• 3 months later...
10 hours ago, ericmac said:

I'm curious,  any updates on this one?

Hey Eric Mac,

Summer was filled with shows and grandchildren so the work was very slow. But now back.

1. Rear window frame and beveled glass of correct size was procured and restored.

2. Gabriel snubbers for bare chassis have been mounted. There are an amazing number of widths and L and R accessories and it was harder than I thought to get a matched set..

3. Painter company is rehabilitating some of the metal before painting.

4. Horn has been tested and failed. Need new vibrator. No jokes please.

5. Located a correct set of portholes!!!! Impossible to get! Just need to flip them out of one of my other cars that had wrong size.

Ready to paint once painter is done.

Ron Hausmann P.E.

IMG_0291.jpeg

IMG_0245.jpeg

IMG_9946.jpeg

IMG_9646.jpeg

IMG_9653.jpeg

• Like 15

• 2 weeks later...

All, -

Body and fenders are getting done to concours quality at painter shop. 
   Meanwhile I have chassis and am detailing it with all the little things that need completing.

1. Gasoline and hidden fuel filter have been piped and readied. I use inline units and replace them yearly.

2. Tail light and atop light wires have been run and secured. Black looms are correct for Kissel.

3. Muffler supports have been mounted. Kissel had rigid frame mounts under the car.

4. Last fender braces have been restored. Kissel speedsters used special ones different than sedans due to rear configuration, so these are hard to get. I was missing one front fender brace so I had to butcher a spare front brace and weld it together to replicate. These are L and R faced.

5. Located and restored service brake and emergency brake operating rods.

6. Finished Kissel horn supporting bracket 

Soon we will have the body back !

Ron Hausmann P.E.

IMG_0421.jpeg

IMG_0423.jpeg

IMG_0427.jpeg

IMG_0416.jpeg

IMG_0426.jpeg

IMG_0428.jpeg

IMG_0424.jpeg

IMG_0323.jpeg

IMG_0316.jpeg

• Like 11

On 6/17/2023 at 5:30 PM, mdsbob said:

Is that a Tucker body shell in the background? 🙃

On 6/17/2023 at 8:13 PM, ron hausmann said:

Yes. This is a very upscale painting company!

But... They took on the Tucker anyway? (sorry... sometimes someone needs to bring up the fact that the king isn't wearing any clothes)

Bob - the Tucker is still there. Body only. They said that all Tucker’s bodywork overall is very poor. They related the story that Preston Tucker was under bank pressure and had cars flopped together merely to give the illusion of getting them done. This particular car has been there a long time. That’s the story I was given today. Not necessarily my opinion as I collect Kissels only.
Ron 

Edited by ron hausmann (see edit history)

All -  

As of October 28, 2023, here’s the status;

1.  All fittings that attach to the body and fenders are restored, crated, boxed, and ready awaiting body from painter. Extensive hinge repair was required at paint shop.

2.  Gabriel snubbers have been installed, tensioned, and cut to length. The belts will be tensioned once again when engine and body are put on, but I wanted to get initial positioning done. These snubbers DO. Work well when installed properly. I also learned that there are 4 sizes of these snubbers and belts, and lefts and rights of each, and several different attachment pieces for putting them onto the frame. I am fortunate to have three cases of old spares since there are so many differences. I was able to creat a matched set of “model 2B” Gabriel’s with correct L and R framefittings.

3.  Restored the original Kissel gas gauge.

4.  Finished shaping remade fender brace and painted. It is indistinguishable from the originals.

Ron Hausmann P.E.

IMG_0499.jpeg

IMG_0500.jpeg

IMG_0501.jpeg

IMG_0503.jpeg

• Like 14

Thank you for taking such good care of this car.

Amelia Earhart's 1923 Kissel 6-45 is on display in the Forney Transportation Museum in Denver, CO.

I saw the car many years ago and just recently made it back down there and they still have it along with some other interesting items, a Big Boy locomotive and a Levi's edition AMC Gremlin, for example. 

image.jpeg.f3c2df393298ca0f429a2308756a39a1.jpeg

Angelfish,

The Amelia Earhart 1923 Kissel Gold Bug is a “twin” to my two 1923’s. There are four such cars that exist, including my 2 1923’s, Amelia’s car, and another somewhere in the East states.

The Amelia car has a couple differences, probably originating from that cars restoration several decades ago when it was located in a junkyard. The windshield is curved, which is incorrect, and it has a 1921 tail light. I sent them a correct one which hasn’t yet been mounted.

Take care. Ron.

• Like 2

All - 

Really happy with the mounts for the luggage trunk which I test fitted today. 
    Wood rack slats have been drilled and mounted and they fit perfectly.

Yellow rack/bumper brackets, unique to Kissel, were fitted and permanently bolted into place. These fit between the frame and the gas tank which must have been a pain when these were done in the factory.

Looking good!

Ron Hausmann P.E.

IMG_0513.jpeg

IMG_0514.jpeg

IMG_0515.jpeg

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

All,

Important day today. Body preparation is done and in primer. See pictures.
   Complete detailed chassis was delivered to painter today for body mounting . Then going to “metal guy” for fitting of fenders, aprons, and flat parts. Body work is absolutely beautiful with seams between hatches and body being 1/16” fitment, like a new car. 
  Ron Hausmann P.E.

IMG_0594.jpeg

IMG_0595.jpeg

IMG_0596.jpeg

IMG_0591.jpeg

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

All,

Thanksgiving 2023 involved working on miscellaneous tasks.
1. Made door sills and polished and drilled them

2. Cleaned and painted exhaust cutout foot pedal

3. cleans, painted, and polished hood venting mechanism. Only Model 6-45 had these.

4. Coordinated final fitment of body and doors to chassis with Painters men. The fitting of the doors, body, trunk lids ,and other exposed wood parts (door and lid edges) are better and more aligned than when the car was new. The painters workmanship is extraordinary!
Ron Hausmann P.E.

IMG_0558.jpeg

IMG_0577.jpeg

IMG_0611.jpeg

IMG_0559.jpeg

IMG_0606.jpeg

• Like 10

Hello, I'm new here, your project completely captivated me. I didn't really know of Kissels, but will now consider it a pleasure to watch your final steps. 

Thank you for posting these images, and teaching  me the value of Hot Formed Rivets over welded joins, and bolts!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr. Don said:

Hello, I'm new here, your project completely captivated me. I didn't really know of Kissels, but will now consider it a pleasure to watch your final steps. 

Thank you for posting these images, and teaching  me the value of Hot Formed Rivets over welded joins, and bolts!

You are welcome!

• Like 1

All - 

As of December 2, 2023, I’ve continued working on minor parts restoration as I await the completion of the main body at the painter.

Below are pictures of the Kissel exhaust cutout fitting and the actual segmental muffler. On past cars I’ve usually used a more modern exhaust system and muffler. It’s less expensive and actually cannot easily be observed. And the modern mounts are more rigid. But for this Gold Bug, which I hope to make a national winner, i’m striving for 100% originality. So I'm using the original exhaust fittings. Also, the big 3” exhaust dump and piping aren’t easily found today.

I had to fabricate the exhaust flap pivot shaft since the original one was broken off at the neck and couldn’t be welded. A long cut off 5/8” bolt was used but I had to cut the flap into it and create mounting screws and spring slot. Took a day.

Note casting date on exhaust part - 11-12-18.

Thanks, Ron Hausmann P.E. 

IMG_0631.jpeg

IMG_0632.jpeg

IMG_0634.jpeg

IMG_0636.jpeg

IMG_0638.jpeg

IMG_0639.jpeg

• Like 10

Ron, amazing work, as usual.  Where do you get your fasteners for this car, such as the nuts, bolts, washers for your exhaust cut-out?  Do you have the originals, a stash of period fasteners, or do you have to do your best at the hardware store...or maybe all the above?

3 minutes ago, hursst said:

Ron, amazing work, as usual.  Where do you get your fasteners for this car, such as the nuts, bolts, washers for your exhaust cut-out?  Do you have the originals, a stash of period fasteners, or do you have to do your best at the hardware store...or maybe all the above?

Hursst,

I have a few coffee cans full of period correct fasteners. They are cleaned but mostly a bit chewed up. That works for mos5 of the pieces that need painted bolts. 

Also close to my shop is an old style hardware store that still sells flat head screws in all required sizes and bolts without proof marks. And they sell hundreds of differ3nt springs too.
   Between those two outlets, I’m usually ok. 
   As a last resort, Restoration supply and the internet always have what one needs. 
   Ron 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

All,

As of December 19 2023 we are back at it. 
1. Fitting body, fenders, aprons, and skirts together before final painting. kissel did not use stamped metal body panels. They pounded steel and aluminum sheets on mandrel bucks in batches, and then matched L and R pairs as best as they could. So there is a lot of variation on supposed symmetry of the various pieces that requires pre- fitting and shimming.

2. Shipping engine to professional rebuilder to have the ”guts” checked out. I’ve never opened up this engine. I have however rebuilt all of the piping and attachments for the engine.

3. I am sandblasting the exhaust manifold. Need to reweld a couple bolt tabs that broke off. I want to nickel the manifold to dress it up.

Stay tuned. 
    Ron Hausmann P.E.

IMG_5081.jpeg

IMG_5078.jpeg

IMG_5079.jpeg

IMG_0728.jpeg

IMG_0730.jpeg

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...

All,

We are making good progress finally on the two remaining large pieces, the body painting and the engine.

Here is the status as of January 7, 2024;

1.  Body fitting and metal warping is complete!

2.  New rear deck apron has been fabricated and fitted. Looking great!

3.  New front apron under radiator has been fabricated and fitted. Also great!

4.  Priming and painting have just started. Will start getting final layers on this month.

5.  Engine rebuilding has started. Old engine is worn but repairable. After disassembly we are ok with connecting rods, block, head, and valve train. Will probably grind all valve surfaces, sleeve piston cylinders, and fit new aluminum pistons.

6.  Have refurbished an antique after-market air cleaner that I will use. Stock engine had no cleaner.

thanks, 

Ron Hausmann P.E.

IMG_0809.jpeg

IMG_0808.jpeg

IMG_0494.jpeg

IMG_0495.jpeg

IMG_0496.jpeg

IMG_0498.jpeg

IMG_0501.jpeg

IMG_0505.jpeg

IMG_0497.jpeg

IMG_0499.jpeg