1923 Kissel Model 6-45 Gold Bug Speedster

Here is a picture of the original Kissel Gold Bug vehicle number plaque and a new one that I punched from today. This is mounted on the cowl inside the engine bay. Also shown is the paired plaque which is mounted on the right front fender base. Kissels had the vehicle numbers in these two locations.

Ron Hausmann P.E.

IMG_0826.jpeg

IMG_0831.jpeg

IMG_5846.jpeg

• Like 6

I remember the Gold Bug we restored was 45-1964.  Wonder where it is now?  We restored it for a fellow in Switzerland.  He sold it to a customer of ours from France where it was driven 600 miles in an endurance run.  Our customer consigned it with Hyman Classic cars.  Somehow it ended up with Wayne Carinni and was on his Chasing Classic Cars show where it was modified a bit from original.  No idea where it is now.

• Like 1

All - 

Here are a few more pictures of the car as of January 18, 2024. Also shown are pictures of a couple of the last accessories, after market air cleaner and L and R front mudflaps, that I’ve restored for the car.

Now just awaiting body being finish painted for final assembly.
     Ron Hausmann PE.

IMG_0909.jpeg

IMG_0833.jpeg

IMG_0832.jpeg

IMG_0911.jpeg

IMG_0912.jpeg

IMG_0916.jpeg

IMG_0913.jpeg

IMG_0914.jpeg

IMG_0915.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

All,

Kissel used an unbelievably wide range of trim items their cars. 
   For exampl, while they made only 50 to 100 Gold Bug Model 6-45 speedsters a year, some trim items were only used on those models for a year or two. My cars’ trim is this type.

Below are pictures of the front bumper mounts which were used on Kissel Gold Bug Speedsters late 1921 to mid 1923. Even my restored 1923 Kissel Gold Bug does not have original ones. Since I am restoring this, my second 1923 Gold Bug precisely, I have manufactured exact copies of 1923 bumper mounts from period correct pieces, steel bar stock, and metalworking. A picture of an original bumper mount from the Kissel parts manual, is below and is the model for what I’ve made.

Several pictures show the “head” part of the mount cut at the 35-degree angle, bar stock, and pictures of metal working to replicate the originals.

I also created long slot head screws from modern bolts. 

( Four years ago, I was lucky enough to buy rear bumper mounts at Hershey)!

A lot of rewarding work. 
   Enjoy!

Ron Hausmann P.E.

IMG_0929.jpeg

IMG_0928.jpeg

IMG_0930.jpeg

IMG_0931.jpeg

IMG_0932.jpeg

IMG_0985.jpeg

IMG_0967.jpeg

IMG_0966.jpeg

IMG_0974.jpeg

IMG_0986.jpeg

IMG_0990.jpeg

IMG_0929.jpeg

IMG_0990.jpeg

Edited by ron hausmann (see edit history)
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Nice fabrication work! I have often said that a little creativity can go a long way. I have repaired or replaced a number of steel castings over the years by cutting, bending, and shaping steel pieces then welding or brazing them together. A little "pretty-up" work and usually one can make the new piece look like an actual casting.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

All,

As of March 6, 2024 we are finally in the home stretch - final assembly!

The painter is painting parts after all have been test fit. All connections and seams are better than when new, and the fun part starts now.

1. Completed chassis has been released by painter and is now at my shop for fitting out. (First 2 pics)

2. Front bumper brackets that I made and signature Kissel bar bumper has been mounted, adjusted, and protected (next two pictures)

3. Rear bumper, luggage rack wood, and mounting hardware have been mounted and adjusted and protected. I was extremely lucky to get a set of original Kissel 6-45 Luggage mounts (last pictures).

4. Mounting final “jewelry” onto car will now continue.

5. soone will start getting body pieces for final assembly.

Ron Hausmann P.E.

IMG_1231.jpeg

IMG_1230.jpeg

IMG_1269.jpeg

IMG_1270.jpeg

IMG_1274.jpeg

IMG_1275.jpeg

IMG_1276.jpeg

• Like 14

• 2 weeks later...

All - 

As of March 18, 2024, we are moving right along! 
a. Rear tail light and bracket has been mounted and wired.

b. Luggage rack wood runners have been fitted and secured.

c. Body and body panels at painter are being coated and rubbed out. Very very nice work.

I’ll continue mounting whatever i can onto the frame until we get the aprons and body back from painter to open up a lot of finish work. 
    Ron Hausmann P.E.

IMG_1274.jpeg

IMG_1275.jpeg

IMG_1312.jpeg

IMG_1313.jpeg

IMG_1314.jpeg

IMG_1321.jpeg

IMG_1324.jpeg

IMG_1325.jpeg

IMG_1326.jpeg

IMG_1322.jpeg

IMG_1328.jpeg