1948 Chrysler Questions

R Walling

Recently a member of this site sent me a PM asking me about the colors on the inside of my car.

His intent is to restore his Chrysler to it's original colors.

So I took my camera and photographed all the items that he had questions about and e mailed them to him.

This was over two weeks ago and I have noticed that he has been on this site a few times since I replied.

Still no thanks for all my trouble.

Am I thin skinned or is it not necessary to thank someone for their trouble in answering their questions?☹️

• Thanks 1

Yes, it’s a disappointment not to hear something back.  I like to help with questions posted here including looking up part numbers in my books or explaining how something works.  If I get a “thanks” it’s nice and if nothing is heard, well that’s how it goes. I just enjoy helping and it gives me something to do on slow days around the house.

• Like 2

Roger, may be many a reason. I know I get involved with things at times, overwhelmed with work stuff etc. and have forgotten to respond to replies on occasion. May be just an honest oversight. I am with you though, when someone helps me out I like to reciprocate with at the least a thank you. 

• Like 2

The' Thank you 'is an acknowledgement that the information/photos even arrived. Over the years I have tried to assist any and all who asked for information/help - when not acknowledged  with a 2 minute "got it" ; I just write the person off as someone who has no manners, and expects any and all  people to be at their beck and call for what ever they want. The same people won't hold a door open for you if they walk through first, throw their trash on the ground to let the wind blow it away and dispose of it. That uncaring person is just ruining it for all the good people who follow and when they ask you for some help/kindness you start to think - why bother. Life is to short to just put up with the "one way street" type of attitude. We all have bad experiences but the majority are good> But it is indeed the bad ones that we recall the most .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

How many of us have gone to the trouble of digging up information for a (usually new) poster somewhere and put it out for them only to discover not only no thanks but they never seem to return again to the site. So either they forgot what they wanted or more likely got what they wanted and then disappeared.  Makes one think twice about bothering to answer.

• Like 2

I like to help out 1946-54 MoPar owners and do quite often.

Glad to say 99% reply with a thank you...not that I want it.

I have replied back to a couple folks  who I offered advice I never saw heard any response.....no reply back at all.

They weren't raised well.

• Like 4

Twice now I've tried to help people (not this site) who were looking for parts. We agreed on price and shipping. After getting everything boxed and ready to ship the purchaser disappears. Won't answer emails or contacts through the site. I don't get anything ready to ship anymore if the money isn't in my possession first. People like that make it bad for all that follow them. I hate being like that but I'm tired of being burnt. 

I really is too bad when people don't appreciate the help that is given to them. 

• Like 2

It's very common. I have answered thousands of technical questions on this and other boards and almost never get any acknowledgement from the OP. It would be a big help to get some feedback, as to whether my advice worked or what the solution turned out to be but I guess that is too much trouble for some people.

• Like 3

It's nice to get acknowledgement/gratitude for answering a question, if for no other reason than knowing the answer was received and solved the problem.  But I really don't expect it, especially if the answer doesn't involve much research.  But it's definitely warranted in the case of the OP who went to the trouble of taking pictures, etc.  OTOH, I've probably been remiss in thanking folks for answers.  It's not intentional discourtesy, just getting involved in other things that results in negligence.  One thing that does irritate me, and that I try to avoid doing, is folks not researching their questions before asking.  The answer to most any question can be found on the internet if one digs deep enough.  People who obviously haven't usually get a snarky answer, "Mr Google (or whatever search engine) is your friend!"

• Like 1

Ya know sometimes no thank you message is forthcoming because YOU gave the wrong answer . . . .

"What is my car worth?"  Maybe $5000, it needs a lot of work . . . .  <no reply - you obviously dont know what these things are worth>

"What color was my car originally?" The codes show it was green <No reply - You dont know what you are talking about, I expected it to be factory red!>

"What kit do I need to bolt a 4 wheel disc brakes onto my 1940 Plymouth?" There is none, that would require a lot of work and major machining <No reply - you obviously dont know anything about these cars, they put disc brakes on old cars every week on the restoration TV shows> 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A case of common courtesy, quite a few years ago my brother and myself lived on the same cul de sac. Mom and dad also lived on the street. We owned some serious snow moving equipment and during a bad winter my brother and myself helped to dig out our street and then proceeded one by one to dig out all of the driveways. About 20 or so. There was another set of brothers living in the same neighborhood and they came out to help. Between the 4 of us we had everyone clear in a few hours. As we approached the last house on the street the owner came out somewhat beligerent, asking what we were charging. We said nothing, he did not believe use. Gave us a smart answer and pretty much said our services were not needed. We obliged, his was the only lane not plowed then or any other snow storm.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

A case of common courtesy, quite a few years ago my brother and myself lived on the same cul de sac. Mom and dad also lived on the street. We owned some serious snow moving equipment and during a bad winter my brother and myself helped to dig out our street and then proceeded one by one to dig out all of the driveways. About 20 or so. There was another set of brothers living in the same neighborhood and they came out to help. Between the 4 of us we had everyone clear in a few hours. As we approached the last house on the street the owner came out somewhat beligerent, asking what we were charging. We said nothing, he did not believe use. Gave us a smart answer and pretty much said our services were not needed. We obliged, his was the only lane not plowed then or any other snow storm.

If I had a neighbor like you, I would make sure you knew how much I appreciated your help and would offer to buy some of the fuel for your machine for all the good Samaritan work you did!

• Like 3

We did get a lot of cookies, I think a pie or two and thank you notes. A couple of people had no response but we still did their lanes when needed.  I have no equipment anymore other than a worn out snow blower. So its a chore just to get my own cleaned out now.

I agree, a thank you is just polite…

On a side note from TAKerrys posting- When I lived in Maine I worked for Fisher Snowplows, so I had a plow truck mostly because of the employee discount but I also had a 100’ driveway and large parking area such that I wasn’t able to keep up with the accumulation using a blower. I had absolutely no interest in plowing driveways for money as people typically bitched about every perceived mistake made and it just wasn’t worth it. Like TAKerry though, I would take care of a few driveways for elderly acquaintances in town and one year where the husband was badly injured in an accident and they just couldn’t afford to pay someone while he was laid up. The best payment in the world is a tearful thank you hug from an elderly friend and a hot cuppa afterwards!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I always think that new posters looking for info have posted on many sites and don't return because someone on another site pissed em off, so we are all jerks.

Or, they found their answer and forgot all the sites they tried. (more likely)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1