Shipping wire wheels and a front axle from north of San Francisco to central indiana - how?

marc1122

I am trying to get a set up wire wheels and a front axle from north of San Francisco to central indiana. I have tried u ship with no success. Would anybody have any suggestions. I tried to find somebody coming to Hershey from out there but no luck with that. Thanks for any help

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Shipping wire wheels and a front axle from north of San Francisco to central indiana - how?

Try YRC Freight.  Best/cheapest way is to put everything on a sturdy pallet, well strapped down.  Take the pallet to the nearest YRC terminal, e.g. Santa Rosa, CA and send it to a YRC terminal in Indiana for pickup.  It's also cheaper if your pallet is boxed in so that they can stack other loads on top.  Use 2x4's and 1/2" plywood for the deck, 1/4" ply wood for sides, screw it together.  Google for standard pallet dimensions - length and width can be as needed but clearance for forklift forks is important, about 3.5 inches I think.  YRC will charge by volume, not weight.  Be sure to declare the load as "used car parts".  YRC will use their forklift to pick it out of your truck or trailer but they are not allowed to use hands to push or pull for safety reasons. 

Here's a crate I made to ship and engine, transmission, and driveshaft.  The parts went to Iowa via YRC, then into a sea container to go to England.  Yeah, that's the long way, but there were reasons.

pallet_bottom.jpg.a6b1acdfb8990827e0f9a84474db623b.jpg

Pallet upside-down.  Forklift access from all four sides.

1604134373_engineonpallet.jpg.82fa50f12c5443488c9660f633b26fd1.jpg 

Parts on pallet.

483772963_enginecratewithoutlid.jpg.2f2f089fbdf159bddd2ccc83d5e9410e.jpg

Pallet with sides before lid was screwed on.

1449365315_crateontrailer.jpg.e70da4cc24118e0e507a4da992260254.jpg

Pallet/box on trailer.

• Like 8

A popular poster on this forum bought a set of 4 rims for one of his many cars about a 4 Hr drive for me to pick up. I delivered them to him at the AGM in Philly seeing we would both be there. Saved him a ton of cash in shipping + customs. See if anyone is going to an event that works with you from that area as it did in this case.  There are many other events besides Hershey that may work.   

• Thanks 1

Gary Ash mentioned container I see. Has anyone here seen the new prices for shipping containers overseas. From China to Toronto is now $30,000 up from $7,000 two years ago. This may kill the vintage car sales market overseas from Canada I hope. There is not much left up here in vintage cars.

Sorry for the related topic but it is an important issue. 

• Like 1

A 52 Buick front door recentlty packed and strapped to a pallet. Destination Spokane, Wa from So. Bend. IN. YRC was very helpful and easy to deal with.

In this case I marked top of pallet: TOP LOAD ONLY! DO NOT STACK! Load arrived a day early in excellent condition!

0B6B1BF7-82FE-439B-978F-762F259D49A1.jpeg

CC2585DF-9A27-4B06-ACEB-782786BBF9E5.jpeg

Edited by g-g-g0
Spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe in Canada said:

A popular poster on this forum bought a set of 4 rims for one of his many cars about a 4 Hr drive for me to pick up. I delivered them to him at the AGM in Philly seeing we would both be there. Saved him a ton of cash in shipping + customs. See if anyone is going to an event that works with you from that area as it did in this case.  There are many other events besides Hershey that may work.   

Popular?

Maybe infamous?

Many thanks again, Joe,

And I would return that favor in a heartbeat.

I've transported parts for other car guys, and will continue to whenever possible.

H

We hope to see you back on this side of the border to tour together again,

and I look forward to touring with Ontario Region again.

Y'all have many great places to visit, and we appreciate the chance to visit.

Isn't there something special coming up down the road on your side of the border?

(PS: As I recall, it was five rims - 4 were already powder coated, and I had the 5th one done locally to match)

• Like 3

Do what Gary did. Only you can save $5 by going to HD or Lowes and picking up a pallet from around back. That will serve as the base. Depending on how fragile, you could get by just strapping the stuff to the pallet. I shipped a rear that I bolted to a pallet. Shipped through Fed Ex trucking. Going to the terminal is probably the best, but if that is not an option you should find a commercial establishment for pickup and also for delivery. The rates are a bit cheaper that way.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

Do what Gary did. Only you can save $5 by going to HD or Lowes and picking up a pallet from around back. That will serve as the base. Depending on how fragile, you could get by just strapping the stuff to the pallet. I shipped a rear that I bolted to a pallet. Shipped through Fed Ex trucking. Going to the terminal is probably the best, but if that is not an option you should find a commercial establishment for pickup and also for delivery. The rates are a bit cheaper that way.

Exactly! Locate a pallet! I have lots of sources locally so was able to find one that “was just right” for the door I was shipping! Also as stated “much” cheaper to ship terminal to terminal than home pick up and delivery?

12 hours ago, g-g-g0 said:

In this case I marked top of pallet: TOP LOAD ONLY! DO NOT STACK! Load arrive a day early in excellent condition

To avoid getting things crushed in the shipping stack you can always mark the "Ship High In Transit" the acronym works fine, even my wife knows. Also great for sorting things to store in your garage.

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

I just had a windshield shipped to me in MD from Minnesota. It was a large box, I have to say the glass was well packed like this company had done so before, LOL. There was not a single marking on the box that said fragile, glass or anything else. I figured if was marked as such the shippers would have done their best to break the contents! My son had a guitar shipped to him. In BIG letters all over the box was marked fragile. It had FENDER written on the box as well, anyone that doesnt live under a bridge could tell it was a guitar or such. I just happened to home in the office when UPS delivered. The driver got to within 3 feet of the porch and gave it a toss. Fortunately it was ok.

6 hours ago, TAKerry said:

In BIG letters all over the box was marked fragile. It had FENDER written on the box as well, anyone that doesnt live under a bridge could tell it was a guitar or such. I just happened to home in the office when UPS delivered. The driver got to within 3 feet of the porch and gave it a toss. Fortunately it was ok.

Had to read that twice to understand it wasn't a car part that fits over the wheels & tires. 

• Haha 2

On 10/24/2021 at 11:14 PM, Marty Roth said:

Isn't there something special coming up down the road on your side of the border?

Yes I understand Ontario region is going to host a Founders tour I believe in 2023. Going to be in the London area as a hub tour and the hotel arrangements are already booked. Being in that area I suppose they may take in the RM / Sotheby's restoration shop and that will be a long day if they do it. Plus visit the Steve Plunkett Cadillac Collection that is on the outskirts of London. Something else I understand is only 25 cars from the US and 25 from Canada as of now to attend.       I am not on the committee having much older cars to attend but those are the roomer I here.  

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

8 hours ago, Joe in Canada said:

Yes I understand Ontario region is going to host a Founders tour I believe in 2023. Going to be in the London area as a hub tour and the hotel arrangements are already booked.   ..... ...... Something else I understand is only 25 cars from the US and 25 from Canada as of now to attend.  

25 plus 25 from Canada and USA is a VERY small number for a Founders Tour.

The committee should be made aware, and also that the 3 or 4 families which have attended ALL previous Founders Tours are guaranteed acceptance, assuming proper application.

The March 20-26, 2022 AACA Founders Tour is to be based in Gulf Shores, Alabama, hosted by Mobile's Deep South Region.

Marty things keep changing as when I asked about numbers in the spring I was told no limit and bring any year of car you want. So who knows what the final call is going to be. Myself I would have booked a large block of rooms as it is easier to downsize than increase if the hotel books other events. I am no longer involved in this event after Mark told me Andrew switched to the Founders and not having a newer car than 1930.     

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)