Pebble Beach - Monterey Car Week 2021

alsancle

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

That's my favorite part of Pebble--all the trucks opening up and dropping one amazing car after another. It's like opening Christmas presents.

More like watching someone else open their Christmas presents. However, still a lot of fun!

A bunch of incredible cars there! I do like that Pierce Arrow town car (?). After so many threads discussing all the various Duesenbergs, and which ones are genuine, and which are 'less than right' (?), I find myself wondering about the ones I see in places like this. Pebble Beach itself has become so high end, that they may not have a lesser even Duesenberg on the field? On the other hand, the auction houses are not going to be quite so discriminating about that.

Great photos, great fun looking at them! Thanks to all that share them here for us lesser beings.

27 minutes ago, wayne sheldon said:

Thanks to all that share them here for us lesser beings.

Wayne, don't think you are "lesser" even in jest!

Those who I know are wealthy aren't any happier

than the family man taking his Chevy Biscayne out 

for ice cream.  I'm impressed by excellence--never prestige.

"The last shall be first, and the first last," as a wise man

once said, meaning that modesty is tops.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Wayne, don't think you are "lesser" even in jest!

Those who I know are wealthy aren't any happier

than the family man taking his Chevy Biscayne out 

for ice cream.  I'm impressed by excellence--never prestige.

"The last shall be first, and the first last," as a wise man

once said, meaning that modesty is tops.

John S, And, it of course was somewhat in jest!

But that is one of the things about this hobby that has always truly impressed me.  We go on tours, whether in a model T or a Stutz, and we are all having fun together. I have attended tour banquets, and been seated at tables with a few multi-millionaires. We talk and laugh like equals. 

A long-time best friend (not wealthy by any stretch) had driven his Buick some distance to attend a several day club tour. On the next to last day, he threw a connecting rod. At that time, I did not have a trailer large enough to carry his car. A major collector that I happened to know through a different club, but my two friends did not know each other at all, reached into his pocket and held out his keys telling my long-time friend the truck and trailer were his to use if he needed it. 

Another time, I stopped by a long-time wealthy friends shop around lunch time. (My work had me on the road a lot, and I sometimes could time my breaks around visits!) We jumped in one of his cars and headed out to a local fast food. While in line, I saw a look as he reached back for his wallet. I made a comment, told him I would buy his lunch for a change. He said something about paying me back as soon as we got back to his shop. I told him "Don't you dare", he had bought my lunch a few times along with several other people's. (That particular day, it was just he and I, so no witnesses)

People that love the cars and the history, know and recognize other people that love the cars and the history. Regardless of their financial station in life, there is a mutual respect. And we all want to help each other. 

• Like 7

Just now, Terry Harper said:

What impresses me is the real mix in vehicles. Here you have a top dollar classics and exotics sharing the field with a bubble car, Toyota Land cruiser pickup etc.

Not the show but the auctions.   The bubble car has a 50k plus estimate on it.   Also, I tend to take pictures of what I think are interesting cars.  50% of the cars are post war exotics.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wayne sheldon said:

John S, And, it of course was somewhat in jest!

But that is one of the things about this hobby that has always truly impressed me.  We go on tours, whether in a model T or a Stutz, and we are all having fun together. I have attended tour banquets, and been seated at tables with a few multi-millionaires. We talk and laugh like equals. 

A long-time best friend (not wealthy by any stretch) had driven his Buick some distance to attend a several day club tour. On the next to last day, he threw a connecting rod. At that time, I did not have a trailer large enough to carry his car. A major collector that I happened to know through a different club, but my two friends did not know each other at all, reached into his pocket and held out his keys telling my long-time friend the truck and trailer were his to use if he needed it. 

Another time, I stopped by a long-time wealthy friends shop around lunch time. (My work had me on the road a lot, and I sometimes could time my breaks around visits!) We jumped in one of his cars and headed out to a local fast food. While in line, I saw a look as he reached back for his wallet. I made a comment, told him I would buy his lunch for a change. He said something about paying me back as soon as we got back to his shop. I told him "Don't you dare", he had bought my lunch a few times along with several other people's. (That particular day, it was just he and I, so no witnesses)

People that love the cars and the history, know and recognize other people that love the cars and the history. Regardless of their financial station in life, there is a mutual respect. And we all want to help each other. 

I made the same point to someone last week.  Car guys are accepting of each other regardless of bank accounts.

• Like 2

Great photos, thanks for sharing. One day I will make it down the coast for Pebble. Right now, great fun watching some of the auctions. This year, with Aston Martin the featured marque, I could easiily cash in my IRA.

Again, thanks for sharing and look forward to more.

Cheers!