BCA Centennial Award - R.I.P.

Brian_Heil

Can anyone shed some logic on why this award and recognition was cancelled after only a couple years?

It was my understanding it was to encourage the participation of 100+ year old Buicks at National Meets. A great idea in my opinion. 

Thx!

Signed,

Befuddled in Flint

Edited by Brian_Heil (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here is the BOD Meeting minutes and discussion and vote to discontinue the Centennial Award.  FYI, the cost of the medallion, letter & postage to send out the award was about $15.00/ vehicle.

SOP committee John       Mike has rewritten SOP 29. This SOP deals with the Centennial award. Mike has previously sent out the revised SOP to the BOD.  

The intent of the Centennial award was to create a certificate , and a medallion to be given to owners of Buick automobiles that were 100 years old , and were shown at a National meet. There has been a low participation of Centennial automobiles at National Meets, so a termination date of 2023, following that National Meet has been set.  

A future BOD at that time may elect to modify that date.  

The BCA President, at his sole discretion, can issue a Centennial award to an owner of any 100 year old Buick, whether the car has been shown at a National meet or not , upon application by that owner 

Larry indicated that he feels this award should be sent out to all 100-year-old Buicks whether they attend a National Meet or not.  

Jack moved to approve the rewritten SOP . Jerry 2nd 

Motion was approved 7  1 

image.png.36d7c24ed528f9b0038b8c4b4e98fec3.png

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

Thank you gentlemen for the background information. 

Perhaps I should not have used the word ‘logic’ in my initial post.  

Someone was kind enough to send me a recent HCCA article on their Century Plaque Program.  1,898 Recognitions presented to date.  Seems the HCCA is capitalizing on the concept, growing engagement, making members happy. Why they don’t even require membership.  They use it as a recruitment tool.  Logical. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/16/2021 at 5:05 PM, Larry Schramm said:

FYI, the cost of the medallion, letter & postage to send out the award was about $15.00/ vehicle.

Cindy Livingston and I worked together to create the certificate. The original idea was to award the medallion and certificate to participants at the National. The certificate only was to be sent to owners in the general membership on the centennial year of their vehicle. I offered to fund the certificate part of the program through 2048 (my centennial year) but my offer was not accepted.

How it got muddied to mailing a medallion, I have no idea. If anyone would like a certificate for their 100 year old car contact me and I will send you a .pdf of the certificate and you can print one out. My offer is good until 2048. After that I can't make a firm commitment.

Bernie

• Like 5

Thank you for having made that offer to the Board Bernie.  More interesting background. 

if you think about it, the Board could have made a motion and voted to accept your kind offer and have a free recognition program but instead voted to cancel what could have been a free program. 

Perhaps some of those who voted no will reconsider at a future meeting. 

As the director of the Long Island chapter i am disapointed to see this outcome.

we have two 1916's in our chapter with owners who were interested in recieving these awards. i always thought that because of the circustances surrounding the movement of these vehicles over long distances to a National necesitating trailering, that if the requirement was to be driven on to a show field, why not let it be a local BCA chapter show or regional show or tour with documentation from the chapter director or board. Just to go on record i voiced this idea directly to the President John in a phone call, but to be fair i understand that John and the Board have been dealing with alot this past year and even now. but still i think there could have been a better way to keep it going. Thank You to those that pushed as far as it got. Marty

• Like 3

6 hours ago, MRJBUICK said:

Thank You to those that pushed as far as it got. Marty

That would be me.  Look at the vote shown above. Seven to discontinue, only me to continue the recognition program.  The BCA is probably the only named club not to have a recognition award.  Mike Book rewrote the SOP to discontinue the program which was approved by the rest of the board.  See the minute notes above.

The board is now made up of only former chief judges, judges, and national meet personnel.  The club priority is on judging post war cars & giving out trophies.  It has been for some time, but now that position is cemented with the current board. 

If a prewar person, I would probably suggest that you think about finding a group that appreciates the older vehicles.   Also the number of members in the club continues to diminish and it is not just members dying.  Coincidence?  Draw you own conclusions.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

I too am disappointed with the board's decision , I just don't understand why they wouldn't want to do something to encourage the participation of the very old cars. The award is a small thing, in and of itself, but it shows that the Club has an interest in these very early cars. By the same token, discontinuing the program shows quite the opposite.

Keith

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

I tried to encourage the board to send out the medallion & certificate to owners for every vehicle as it turned 100 years old and encourage the owner to put the medallion on their vehicle.  From my perspective it would be good advertisement for the club and maybe let the owners of these vehicles promote the club through the goodwill of sending the medallion.  The total cost to send the medallion and certificate including postage would be less than about $15.00.  The board was insisting on the owners bring their vehicles to a meet to get the medallion.  Most individuals that have cars this age are more interested in driving their vehicles not to mention the cost to bring a 100 year old vehicle to a meet.  Significant difference from driving a car to a meet.

Relook at the vote above for see how much the board would appear to hate prewar vehicles.   Any questions?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

When Terry and I first went on the board we had quite an uphill battle on acceptance of the pre-war cars and the wish for all together parking (another issue). Larry Schramm spent many hours promoting the Century award and we all felt this was the perfect promotional as Larry noted in his previous post. We both promoted it and when Larry Schramm got on the board it was high on his agenda. The opposing board members wanted to add many strings for it's actual application.

I felt that the 3 of us fought a good fight but the message was clear. This has only added to the exodus of pre-war Buick owners from the club.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, dibarlaw said:

When Terry and I first went on the board we had quite an uphill battle on acceptance of the pre-war cars and the wish for all together parking (another issue). Larry Schramm spent many hours promoting the Century award and we all felt this was the perfect promotional as Larry noted in his previous post. We both promoted it and when Larry Schramm got on the board it was high on his agenda. The opposing board members wanted to add many strings for it's actual application.

I felt that the 3 of us fought a good fight but the message was clear. This has only added to the exodus of pre-war Buick owners from the club.

Maybe a few postwar as well.

Ben

Edited by Ben Bruce aka First Born (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is what the AACA gave me on Saturday at the Nationals meet.

They don't mail these, you have to take the car to the show. I find that my local chapter of the BCA has mostly muscle cars from the 60s 70's 80s and even 90's. If I want to see modern cars I'll go to the Walmart parking lot. There were tons of pre-war cars and many pre WWI cars as well as you can see by the list here:

2021_Eastern_Spring_Saratoga.pdf (aaca.org)

centuryClub.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Morgan Wright said:

This is what the AACA gave me on Saturday at the Nationals meet.

They don't mail these, you have to take the car to the show. I find that my local chapter of the BCA has mostly muscle cars from the 60s 70's 80s and even 90's. If I want to see modern cars I'll go to the Walmart parking lot. There were tons of pre-war cars and many pre WWI cars as well as you can see by the list here:

2021_Eastern_Spring_Saratoga.pdf (aaca.org)

centuryClub.jpg

One slight correction for you. The AACA Century Award is also presented to 100 year old vehicles that are driven on AACA Tours. We had a car receive its Century Award at the 2019 Southeastern Divisional Tour that I chaired in Wilmington NC. 

I will add that I think that mailing the award might not have been the best idea for BCA, but with the lack of meets that the BCA has, I understand why that was tried. I would think that if the BCA board wants to try to correct their error, perhaps presenting it to 100 year old cars that attend National Meets as well as Division/Region/Chapter Meets and Tours would be a better idea. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I went online just now and read all the current BOD bio candidate articles.  Funny thing, election promises….

39+ years of working with the finest men and women you could imagine at Buick Product Engineering.  That’s my datum and that’s my Buick expectation. 

This one did make me chuckle.  Be careful what you wish for as my Mother used to say. 

4F953BDC-2A07-4774-9D4D-AEF8B28BA7A3.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Brian_Heil said:

4F953BDC-2A07-4774-9D4D-AEF8B28BA7A3.jpeg

I worked for Buick for about 15 years during my tenure with GM.  Family history with Buick goes back to about 1914 when Grandpa Hawke started working at "The Buick"

Brian, both being Buick guys, maybe that is why we get along. 🙂

• Like 3

I quit the BCA years ago after being mistreated as the director of the Prewar Division.  

I am not an AACA member, but I would wager that the AACA has many more prewar Buicks in their club than the BCA has.

And, I do know that the HCCA has many more than the BCA.

The choice is yours...

• Thanks 2

Allow me to relate two tales which to me says the BCA does not care for early cars.  One weekend in the 90's the McLaughlin Buick club was coming to my town for a tour.  The fellow organizing the event invited me along even though I was not a member.  When my wife and I arrived driving our 1913 Buick for the 32 miles trip to the next town the club President told me to park over there and he would take us.

My 1915 McLaughlin was purchased from an ad, to me it means no club member would buy the car, even from a club Director who owned the car nearly fifty years.  A Canadian production Buick with a known history from new and unloved by the club.

When I drove Chevys I was a 25 year member of the VCCA, 25 years also in the HCCA and now 10 in the ACCA.  I've been known to say the BCA only like Roadmasters and Skylarks.  One day a fellow was telling me he was coming back from a trip the Pierce Arrow Society with his beautiful '13 Model 48 and I commented the people must have loved his car, he surprised me saying no, they like the chrome cars.  I do not know if that is true just another story I relate.

Respectfully submitted, my opinion, Gary

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/17/2021 at 8:40 AM, Brian_Heil said:

Perhaps I should not have used the word ‘logic’ in my initial post.  

You're perceptive, Brian:  There is no logic in the decision!

Here is true reasoning:

The award was evidently to encourage the oldest cars 

to get out of the garages and attend Buick events.

When not enough such Buicks show up, the club

shouldn't CANCEL the encouragement.  Just the opposite:

they need to offer MORE enthusiasm and encouragement.

That would be like saying, "Not enough young people

show up to club events.  Let's stop encouraging them!"

• Thanks 2

I like to think that there is another way of looking at this situation and I have voiced my opinion to anyone who will stand still long enough to listen.  "There wouldn't be any '55 Buicks or Riviera's if it weren't for the old, and I mean old, Buicks"  Somehow, they just do not want to hear that or even acknowledge that the 'old' Buicks are what made the late model cars possible.  The comment about going to a Sam's Club parking lot to see late model vehicles is so very true.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

AACA Life Member #947918

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My first Buick national meet was in 1983 in Columbus,

Ohio.  A friend and I went with our dads as eager-to-learn

spectators.  I took quite a few pictures.

Then, there was a whole bevy of late 1920's Buicks,

especially roadsters.  There were plenty of 1937-38

Buicks, and I remember practically a whole row of

1940 and 1941 models.  Models from the 1950's, less

than 30 years old, were already very popular.

I remember one man with a late '20's roadster was

especially outgoing and friendly, explaining his car.

That show helped cement my burgeoning interest in 

antique cars, and I joined the BCA around that time.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Walmart parking lot indeed. It made me remember my mother saying "That old stinker." That was about the worst comment she ever made except about that one girlfriend I had.

I'm kind of thinking some of these observant types were sitting in the car at Walgreens and thought it was Walmart. You know what they say- no pictures, it didn't happen.

After reading many of the above comments, if this is truly the attitude of the board, that is a shame. I can only tell you that is not the position of the Long Island chapter. For quite a few years now starteing with the prior director, to attract pre-war Buicks to our show their entrance fee is FREE. We want ALL Buicks at our show. Yes you might be able to see newer ones at Walmart but it is also about the owners who care for any Buick old or new. 

The trend of 60,70 and 80s cars is ok they are easy to drive and what baby boomers remember growing up with. At our shows we want all years as many as possible. Those who don't understand this will learn one day but till then we will enjoy them.

Marty

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

38 minutes ago, Mark Shaw said:

Marty, Your comments are even more relevant because you evidently do not own a prewar Buick!

People that don't own pre-war Buicks are free to

comment, as they may yearn to see more.  Before I bought

my Locomobile, I talked to many owners of similar cars

to learn about the ownership experience.  I wanted to see

plenty of interesting pre-war cars at events, and I'm

grateful that the AACA supports them well.  Any club's

support of pre-war cars ADDS to the number of pre-war

cars that get used and enjoyed.

At least the Buick club seems to be better than the

Oldsmobile Club of America.  I'm sure they have lots

of fun, but Cutlasses, and especially Cutlass 4-4-2's,

seem to be the overwhelming favorites while so much

of Oldsmobile's history seems to be overlooked.

Buick board, you need to listen.  Buick's history goes

back a long way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

There are two Oldsmobile clubs. The split was made in the early 1990's when too many Cutli began showing up for meets. At the time I was a member with a 1956 88.

https://www.antiqueolds.org/

https://www.oldsmobileclub.org/

Al and Bill Sandy were involved in that. I also owned a 1966 Olds Toronado at the time and was buying parts from them. I remember having the conversation about it with Al.

3 hours ago, Mark Shaw said:

Marty,

Your comments are even more relevant because you evidently do not own a prewar Buick!

Mark thank you for the comment

when i decided to take on being the Director of the chapter i run it as a Buick Club not pre or post war or late model

anything produced by Buick is welcome. ( i even tried attracting opels for a while, but that didnt work lol)

many years ago at a show and new to the hobby i saw an older gentleman hand cranking an early Buick, i think a model 10 not sure. i was hooked.

i have not had a chance to own a pre war YET. i think 36 is a beautiful car with 37 and 8 real close 41 oh yeah and anything before 36 is just cool. my wife and i came real close, and i mean real close to pulling the trigger on a 37 mdl 41 a few years ago. it just didnt work out. Still kind of regretting not finding a way to get it. ah well..

So the passion is there, but i stil love my pace car, my 57, and the Reatta and my wifes 2014 Lacrosse is a pleasure.

so you migt say a man for all seasons lol

thank you again 

Marty 

Edited by MRJBUICK
addition (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1