Cheap Toolboxes - Can anyone recommend a decent CHEAP roll away cabinet?

alsancle

6 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

WoW! I knew they were pricey but I suppose its the sign of the times. Last time I was there (about a year or so ago) those things were like 6k I thought.  Not to mention I have enough tools to fill maybe 2 drawers. 

Maybe the icon is a lot more expensive than the general boxes?

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

Maybe the icon is a lot more expensive than the general boxes?

Yes, I think they have three levels at three different price points. I think the icon is the top of the line, then US General, then Yukon. As you go up in price point, the sturdier base wheels, better bearings on the drawers, and thicker gauge of steel is seen as the price goes up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, John Bloom said:

Yes, I think they have three levels at three different price points. I think the icon is the top of the line, then US General, then Yukon. As you go up in price point, the sturdier base wheels, better bearings on the drawers, and thicker gauge of steel is seen as the price goes up.

Considering I’m basically a poser, I think that the US General would be perfectly fine for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

ICON is the Snap-On "equivalent". US General is for regular folks like us! If one had the money for frivolous things or is in the repair business and open a drawer 100 times a day, buy the ICON. All others just use the ICON as dreaming material.:D

• Like 3

I thought this was interesting.  He sounds like a value shopper like me, waited for coupons and got top and bottom for around 1200 dollars total (4 years ago....so likely a bit more now).  He seems pretty straightforward, not a drama guy, I like that he compares steel thickness.  interesting stuff.  

He is probably correct in guessing that a comparable Snap On one is 10K.....and perhaps far superior, but for my needs and use, this is more than adequate.  I am not hating on Snap On.  I have some of their stuff and couldn't be happier with it.  

something like this is more than adequate for what I'm looking for.  It seems that Icon is their top brand.  US General is the midprice brand.  Yukon is the entry level cheapest brand............Buick Roadmaster, Super, Special.  Something for everyone......

• Like 2

The USG 72" roller has doubled in price in not quite three years. I still like the USG, they're built stouter than about anything the box stores have, but goes back to how you're going to use them. For the typical homeowner or car hobbyist a Craftsman, Husky, Yukon etc. will do fine. Older sturdier versions of those are even better. But if you're operating drawers dozens of times a day, a heavier duty box is a must.

Re: steel gauge- I can see and feel the difference in a 50+ year old tote box vs those produced in last 20 years. The metal is definitely thinner.

• Like 2

I kind of had the opposite experience, at least on the roll-arounds. Are these harbor freight things as good as Snap-On/Matco/Mac etc? No. My mid 1990s Matco box is so overbuilt it is ridiculous. Nevertheless, it is pretty shocking how good some of the Harbor Freight boxes are these days. Some I have seen in recent times are definitely good enough for commercial duty.

It used to be your main choices were the big three or Craftsman. Craftsman was made of thinner metal and might or might not have held up under commercial use. Often it didn't. Over the years I saw a lot of drawers sagging in the middle. My 80s Snap-on box is made of thinner metal than some current Harbor Freight offerings, and does not have ball bearing slides. It held up fine in commercial use, after all that's what it was made for. Compared to some of the low-cost offerings now though it looks pretty weak. I've even seen boxes in Home Depot in recent years that look like they would probably hold up fine in commercial use. Your mileage may vary.

• Like 2

On 3/31/2023 at 11:26 AM, NailheadBob said:

I love all these tools and tool box stories, makes me want to get out and buy some.

Bob

Me too!, But, I have 3 roll around boxes in my shop, another big box in the house garage and a tool bag in 6 of my 7 cars.  Plus a     tool bag in my UTV.   All those tools will be in the way when I'm gone and will probably end up at Roy's Trading Post for $1.00     

each.  (That's where I shop when I  loose one)

One of my roll around boxes had a BINFORD TOOLS Label on it/

Edited by Paul Dobbin
added Binford remark (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 3/30/2023 at 4:48 PM, SC38dls said:

You can also fine cheap boxes of all brands at an auction house called “ everything but the house”. When people move and downsize a lot of tool boxes ( some with tools in them) go up for auction. I’ve seen some go for $50 or $75

up to $300 but not much more than that. Sorry I don’t have the actual site name but it should be easy to google. 
dave s 

Still mise your posts Dave.  Still taking my dogs for rides too.

Scan.jpg.56e6b95cb953b7f0c559e29d7ff00685.jpg

• Like 5

I don't know about you guys, but I must have won a thousand tool sets by now. Along with hair loss, several different drugs and lots of other stuff that I never follow up on.

Next time they offer to give me a toolbox I should hold them to it.

I watch the industrial auctions for Lista cabinets. I can pull out a drawer and use it to stand in to reach higher. They are very expensive new but I bought a workbench with butcher block top and drawers for 275 and new is over 2000. 3 cabinets for 250 each and also over 2000 new. They come with all different drawer sizes. Most shops use them for tooling so they are great for mechanical tools. Only way to go in my book and get your money back when you downsize. They put Snap-on to shame. 

Sample so watch for an auction in your area    https://www.bidspotter.com/en-us/search-results?searchTerm=lista

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

18 hours ago, Joe in Canada said:

Lista cabinets

And of course Vidmar (by Stanley)! Roller bearing cabinets.👍

Glen, quit talking about my medical condition!🤣

• 4 weeks later...

So, I 've learned a bit over the last few months about tool boxes.  The retail venues treat tool storage just like the car companies do.  Just like Packard or Buick have an entry level, a more upscale model, and then their top of the line, so do Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, Harbor Freight.  

Harbor Freight has the intro (cheapest) Yukon line, then the US General midprice line, then the ICON line which is pricey.  I was set to get a US General cabinet and sure enough HF had a 20% Father's day weekend coupon, but the tool chests were excluded from that.  At that point after looking, I surprisingly bought a MasterForce from Menards.  compared to the cheaper Yukon, Husky, Craftsman lines, the Masterforce had thicker gage steel, much heavier casters, was deeper (24 inches) and the drawer mechanism and latching felt like the high end cabinets costing 3-4 times the price.  Plus it was on sale and has a rebate.  I like it.  Good enough for now, I'll see about adding the top cabinet.  

Honestly, there were lots of good value choices out there as most stores selling this stuff had 3 day Father's day sales.  If you are looking, go look tomorrow, you might save a couple Benjamins. 

• Like 1

Just now, John Bloom said:

So, I 've learned a bit over the last few months about tool boxes.  The retail venues treat tool storage just like the car companies do.  Just like Packard or Buick have an entry level, a more upscale model, and then their top of the line, so do Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, Harbor Freight.  

Harbor Freight has the intro (cheapest) Yukon line, then the US General midprice line, then the ICON line which is pricey.  I was set to get a US General cabinet and sure enough HF had a 20% Father's day weekend coupon, but the tool chests were excluded from that.  At that point after looking, I surprisingly bought a MasterForce from Menards.  compared to the cheaper Yukon, Husky, Craftsman lines, the Masterforce had thicker gage steel, much heavier casters, was deeper (24 inches) and the drawer mechanism and latching felt like the high end cabinets costing 3-4 times the price.  Plus it was on sale and has a rebate.  I like it.  Good enough for now, I'll see about adding the top cabinet.  

Honestly, there were lots of good value choices out there as most stores selling this stuff had 3 day Father's day sales.  If you are looking, go look tomorrow, you might save a couple Benjamins. 

D1C7630E-6AC0-4675-9B30-7CE51E52BE26.jpeg.a7d83977b9e51680895c4d9ab5c4a9fd.jpeg60C17E15-BCA7-4A56-A23C-F8929D794CB1.jpeg.4f8449d1e3e28e5eb3689a9dca5d32b0.jpeg

• Like 4

You can also put a wanted ad on Craigslist looking for one.  I bought a MATCO decent little roll around for $400.  Stainless top workbench.  guy just wanted it gone since he bought a new bigger one for work and this one ended up in his little shed. 

Also had a real nice Snapon big roll away offered with the Hutch and stainless workbench on top for a pretty good price as again the guy had a new box coming.  People move all the time and don't want to take stuff like this or have the room to take it with them.  Between Facebook and Craigslist there are alot of boxes out there.  Some with tools. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52984218043_f12573d964_c.jpg2023-06-18_02-11-04 by Kerry Grubb, on Flic

I wanted a rolling tool cart. During covid when things were shut down it was hard to find something, plus I am notoriously cheap and figured I could make something. Put this together out of some scrap mdf I had laying around. Its been useful for a few years now. If I had known that I would have used it as much as I have I would have used better material, LOL. It seems all of the stuff that I through together quickly and cheap last the longest.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/19/2023 at 8:36 AM, TAKerry said:

52984218043_f12573d964_c.jpg2023-06-18_02-11-04 by Kerry Grubb, on Flic

I wanted a rolling tool cart. During covid when things were shut down it was hard to find something, plus I am notoriously cheap and figured I could make something. Put this together out of some scrap mdf I had laying around. Its been useful for a few years now. If I had known that I would have used it as much as I have I would have used better material, LOL. It seems all of the stuff that I through together quickly and cheap last the longest.

Nice.  I sold tons of that stuff along with hardwood plywood and laminates, & solid surface also when I was selling to cabinet makers years ago.  Great customers, I sometimes wonder why I left but that's another story.

I have seen some cool stuff including a very long workbench made of solid surface or what most folks call "Corean" regardless of manufacturer. 

• Like 1

Steve, we used to build own countertops, years ago! I was doing plastic laminate before I could drive. On the ground floor with Corian. At that time one had to take a 'class' authorized by duPont in order to be 'qualified' to do the installs and even buy the product. We went through a period thats was about all I did. I do have to say, its been years since I have done a big counter top/plam job. Not that I miss it, LOL.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, alsancle said:

I had to go to Home Depot this morning to buy a 14 mm wrench that I am going to grind the crap out of. I love it when you have to make tools. Anyways, I saw this.

IMG_3076.jpeg

IMG_3075.jpeg

A lot of tool storage for a grand.  I believe it is their cheapest line,  if for a home/hobbyist, good enough.  It will probably last a lifetime. 

2 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Steve, we used to build own countertops, years ago! I was doing plastic laminate before I could drive. On the ground floor with Corian. At that time one had to take a 'class' authorized by duPont in order to be 'qualified' to do the installs and even buy the product. We went through a period thats was about all I did. I do have to say, its been years since I have done a big counter top/plam job. Not that I miss it, LOL.

Ha I was Wilsonart product manager for a distributor here in CT, so when Corean's patent expired and WA copied the formula I did the "certs" in our territory.  "ahh, you guys who have been fabricating for eons know a little bit more than me but please be patient so we can check the box and sell you material."  That said, I reviewed warranty claims and was amazed at what some shops put out there.  Others though, were really old school high quality.  Like anything else. 🤔😁

• Like 1

We bought all of our stuff from a wholesaler in Wilm. That was the good ole days, homeowners could not get their hands on the stuff we were using. No HD or Lowes! They dealt in Formica, remember colour core? I still have a piece on my side feed of my table saw. Corian was def. exclusive when it first came out, when the patents expired the dams let loose and every body had something similar. Then stone took over, doubt there are that many people that even know what it is now!

• Like 1