Missing a Porsche?

Xander Wildeisen

Another lame sensational story on a VW. The fake era of barn finds and special discoveries is a huge yawn. The real great stuff being pulled out today makes this story look like a child’s fable. Sadly, the true great finds get little notice in the media. Recent discoveries make this look like just what it is........a pile of iron oxide that’s not worth reading about.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, edinmass said:

.a pile of iron oxide that’s not worth reading about.

I disagree with you on that point because I, for one, enjoyed reading about this; however, I agree with you on your other points.  Ya hafta admit that a lake bottom find is more rare and more interesting than the usual barn find.  One can make up a pretty standard story about a barn find:  "Ol' Zeke's car was spotted by the revenooers an' he hadda hide it in the barn, an' we done fergot about it."  Now a lake bottom find, on the other hand, evokes images of Bond, James Bond, fleeing the minions of Dr. No, Spectre et al and sacrificing his Aston Martin to the cold depths of Lake Geneva, to live to "Die Another Day". 

There was a story in the U.K. Sun about a Swiss lake find of a 1925 Bugatti found at the bottom of Lake Maggiore in 2009.

The link: 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/living/2470488/this-1925-bugatti-was-recovered-from-the-bottom-of-a-lake-after-73-years-and-was-then-sold-for-290000/

What is it with the Swiss sinking great cars to the bottoms of local lakes?  I could understand it if it were done mafia style with the body of Jimmy Hoffa (or someone else) in the car, but immersion just for the fun of it?   He‼️, I'd pay scrap value unless there's a body inside ... then I'm outta there!:o 

Just bloviating.

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, edinmass said:

Another lame sensational story on a VW. The fake era of barn finds and special discoveries is a huge yawn. The real great stuff being pulled out today makes this story look like a child’s fable. Sadly, the true great finds get little notice in the media. Recent discoveries make this look like just what it is........a pile of iron oxide that’s not worth reading about.

At least there weren't any dead bodies inside it like these other found-in-the-lake cars:

1969 Chevrolet Camaro Found in Lake Foss with Six Bodies Inside (superchevy.com)

Breaking news - 1960 Studebaker Lark found in 1971 missing persons case. - Studebaker Drivers Club Forum

Craig

In the northern US and Canada it is not unusual for someone to drive out on a frozen river or  lake and break through the ice. In spring and early winter especially. There are cars and snowmobiles in there. During Prohibition they used to run liquor across the Detroit River in old cars, if they used a sedan they would take the doors off so they could bail out if it went thru the ice. There are probably still Model Ts down there.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Rusty_OToole said:

There are probably still Model Ts down there.

There are; brand new ones with 0 miles!  According to that August, 1976 Motor Trend article I referenced in a different thread, there's about 100 brand new Model T's on a barge that went down in a storm.

Craig

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dustycrusty said:

Now that is a mystery worth figuring out-- how the hell did they squeeze 6 people in an early Camaro??

The story read that 3 bodies were in the 1950 Chevrolet and 3 bodies were in the camaro. These finds  were not related to each other but, the boys that were in the camaro were on their way to a football game and took a detour for some reason.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

There are; brand new ones with 0 miles!  According to that August, 1976 Motor Trend article I referenced in a different thread, there's about 100 brand new Model T's on a barge that went down in a storm.

Craig

For sale, like new model T. Never driven, just out of long term storage. Ran when parked. Asking $65,000 Or best reasonable offer.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

For sale, like new model T. Never driven, just out of long term storage. Ran when parked. Asking $65,000 Or best reasonable offer.

Reasonable offer?   I think by now the price is 'FIRM'....as in try moving it; especially from a lake bottom where its been parked for over 100 years!  

Craig

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dustycrusty said:

I remember this one- 5 kids in a van, drinking and driving down a dirt road along a canal  40+  years ago....

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-xpm-1997-03-02-9703010383-story.html

All of these articles are sad but, maybe finally the family can have some peace of mind.

1 hour ago, 8E45E said:

Craig

Someone went down to the wreck, and have published photos.....

• Like 1

Florida has many that are lost in the roadside ditches. Here they may be 20 feet wide and deep. Tamiami trail was famous for them. Often happens in a frog strangler.

BTW think that was on Autobiography: 5 minute of interest and 55 minutes of fluff, repeats, lawyers, and pills that "may cause death". 3X is good.

• Like 1

There was a story of one in my hometown of a Model A I believe a 1930,  that went through the ice with Christmas presents still in it, including a new rifle. Someone has reported to have seen it 30 years ago and it's in shallow enough water you can stand on the back of it, as it's nose down in the mud and in low water, your head be just above water.  I know roughly where it's suppose to be near a prominent island and it would make sense as where it should be the ice isn't very good because of current in the lake.  

My dad and I thought of trying to find it and bring it up as we have access to floating covered docks and could easily bring it up in a slip if it's not too stuck or deteriorated,  but we just never seemed to have the time and be able to coordinate with a diver to do it when conditions of the water were clear enough. That's usually prime summer time and on a vacation lake really hard to coordinate with summer work, which usually runs 7 days a week 12 hours a day until the tourists go home. 

Obviously it wasn't for the value but the experience. 

Dad's 57 Chevy 4 door was also stolen by his sister's boyfriend and allegedly lost through the ice on Upper Saranac Lake.  It was turquoise in color.  He showed me a picture of the car,  that one is most believable.  Of course remember it was the early  60's and just a used car at the time.

Around Detroit, with all the cars rivers lakes and people, these underwater finds are pretty common.

One that always sticks with me and when I tell it now people look at me like I'm spinning one, however I did run in to one aged gent that remembered it a while back and even had the newspaper clipping from it.

The very narrow mostly shallow Rouge river runs right past the Ford Rouge complex and out to the Detroit river.  Around 1974 at the height of the environmental movement cleanup, the Rouge river was targeted by the Army Corp of Engineers. The Rouge was extremely dirty, it reportedly had a deep layer of toxic sludge at the bottom, and on the surface it always looked like black ink. The Corp came in and basically removed everything but dirt and lined the whole bottom with Concrete. It is much cleaner today with EPA control.

Near one of the bridges they were dredging out and found a car. It was reportedly a 1936 Chevrolet, there were three bodies in it! There was an old missing persons case from the late 30's, a man and two women left a bar in Melvindale (Known as "Smellvindale" as it's a suburb just west of the Rouge) and vanished. Apparently they drove off the bridge in the middle of the night and plunged in and the sludge came in around the doors and they couldn't get out. The river was so filthy no one ever noticed any oil or gasoline on the surface. Under water for 40 years just below the surface and millions people went past within a few feet and never noticed.

Ron

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, padgett said:

that was on Autobiography: 5 minute of interest and 55 minutes of fluff, repeats, lawyers, and pills that "may cause death". 3X is good.

Exactly why I cancelled cable TV in 2007. The lady on the phone warned me ''You're gonna miss the Sopranos!" I laughed and replied ''Fahget about it''.

Now when I hear cable TV playing it's like a file on my nerve endings. Those that are used to it do not realize how abrasive and void of content it is. And too there is the continual social engineering drive.

Ron

• Like 2

I recall a not so long ago story (and pictorial) about an old guy that when a kid saw tank tracks running into into a lake and figured it to have been the Nazis when they were leaving whatever country he was in.

He got to telling the story to somebody that followed up on it and indeed found it and pulled it out of the lake after 60 years or however long and turned out to be in pretty good shape.

Found a link.

https://www.12mbdragoons.com/panzer/

• Like 2

3 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

There was a story of one in my hometown of a Model A I believe a 1930,  that went through the ice with Christmas presents still in it, including a new rifle. Someone has reported to have seen it 30 years ago and it's in shallow enough water you can stand on the back of it, as it's nose down in the mud and in low water, your head be just above water.  I know roughly where it's suppose to be near a prominent island and it would make sense as where it should be the ice isn't very good because of current in the lake.  

My dad and I thought of trying to find it and bring it up as we have access to floating covered docks and could easily bring it up in a slip if it's not too stuck or deteriorated,  but we just never seemed to have the time and be able to coordinate with a diver to do it when conditions of the water were clear enough. That's usually prime summer time and on a vacation lake really hard to coordinate with summer work, which usually runs 7 days a week 12 hours a day until the tourists go home. 

Obviously it wasn't for the value but the experience. 

Dad's 57 Chevy 4 door was also stolen by his sister's boyfriend and allegedly lost through the ice on Upper Saranac Lake.  It was turquoise in color.  He showed me a picture of the car,  that one is most believable.  Of course remember it was the early  60's and just a used car at the time.

I don't know about a Model A but I know there is a 1980s wagon and an airplane without wings in Lake George. There are people who film scuba diving expeditions and post them on YouTube. In the comments it was suggested the airplane was an artificial reef but I don't know how accurate that is. 

I remember seeing an Unsolved Mysteries segment on a pickup driving in near the steel pier, but I'm not sure how much of that if any was accurate. 

10 hours ago, dustycrusty said:

Now that is a mystery worth figuring out-- how the hell did they squeeze 6 people in an early Camaro??

We use to putt 8 in a 50 Dodge all the time in the mid to late 60’s. 3 up front 5 in back. Driver and 2 girls up front 3 guys with 2 girls on their lap in back. It was always more fun not to drive! 
dave s 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, JACK M said:

I recall a not so long ago story (and pictorial) about an old guy that when a kid saw tank tracks running into into a lake and figured it to have been the Nazis when they were leaving whatever country he was in.

He got to telling the story to somebody that followed up on it and indeed found it and pulled it out of the lake after 60 years or however long and turned out to be in pretty good shape.

Found a link.

https://www.12mbdragoons.com/panzer/

I could understand the possibility of recovering a Model A but a Panzer tank? Full of water no less.