Antique cars for the Big and Tall

SANDOW

I looked at a 1927 Stutz roadster for sale

and had no trouble at all.  Someone 6'-4" tall

would be fine.  My 1916 Locomobile sportif

(sportier 4-passenger touring car) is also fine.

In contrast, a club member's Ford Model T 

that I drove had no room whatsoever for long legs.

What price range would you like to stay within?

Are you open to brass-era cars, or do you prefer

the late 1920's to early 1930's?

Do you want an open car, a closed car?  Are sedans

fine?  Are you concerned mainly with the driver's height

instead of his girth (fitting under the steering wheel)?

Knowing what you like will help us direct you to the

most appropriate cars.  We're happy to help you.

1927 Stutz 5.JPG

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I am 6’4” and find most of the brass, nickel, and classic era cars that have an upright seating position are relatively easy to drive. When you get into more sporty body styles and lower lines it can get a little challenging.

Do not assume that big cars equal lots of driver room. I have had some horrible luck fitting in many custom body full classics.... but most mass produced cars can be driven by a full grown man.  I don’t think I have had an issue with any of the Pierce Arrows I have been in and have had no issue with any factory bodied Packard. All of the early Chrysler products are fine but a 6 has more room for the driver than an imperial. I would venture to guess all of the GM products will be fine. I am at 50% on thinking I could safely fit in and drive the dozen or so Model J’s I have been close enough to size up. 

In Model A fords: Tudor sedans, vickie’s, A400’s, and sport phaetons offer plenty of room. Other body styles can be made to work with some modification. 

I drive a 25 T coupe with ease but struggle with the way my feet land on the pedals and knees accidentally adjust the spark and throttle with an 11 torpedo. To look at them you would assume the torpedo offers more leg room but it doesn’t seem to work out that way. 

On many cars the big issue is the lack of room for your leg between the shift lever and steering wheel when your foot is on the brake and you need first or reverse gear. Taking 6” or so off the shift lever can make that problem go away by placing the ball under your thigh. 

Another common problem is the angle a foot attached to a long leg hits the pedal. On some cars you just get used to kicking out at clutch and brake pedals rather than pushing down on them. You might get very familiar with the hand brake if a car fits you this way.  Resting a heel and applying pressure with the toe end of your foot sometimes works too. 

Lastly, sometimes getting in and out is the real challenge and a “fat mans” steering wheel will get out of a long legs way as well as a big belly’s way. 

I can no longer fit in a Model A and I'm 6'2" and 240 lbs. What I ended up with was a 1930 DeSoto which has plenty of room. It also has an adjustable seat which helps. I would guess any of the larger cars such as Chrysler, Buick, Cadillac and so forth would probably work for you. 

You might also want to consider a 2 dr. sedan as the doors are larger. 

Edited by Fossil (see edit history)

Best coverage of this in a book of someone who needed to design for customers' fit and convenienceis Hugo Pfau in his book  "The Custom Body Era".   Ray Wolff recommended him to me when I met Ray and Alma here in Melbourne in 1970 when I showed him photos of a complete but derelict Stutz with an obviously custom body.   A letter came from Hugo by return mail.  "Yes, he recognised the car even in its deteriorated state.   He said that so he should, because he had designed it.  Le Baron had built 5 examples, of which three were sent to Melbourne.  Barlow Motors were a very active Stutz dealer.  Several decades later, an elderly lady living on the west coast of Tasmania allowed John Kennedy from Hobart to copy a photo of an identical car, but not the same one.  She had learned to drive in it.  You can find good used copies of that book on the internet.

8 hours ago, Ben P. said:

I only know my own car, but that’s a good question. My neighbor when I was growing up (who got me into this hobby) was 6’4” and also very large and he couldn’t fit in a Model T. He couldn’t even clear the doors but could recall that as a kid at half his then weight he just barely fit behind the steering wheel of his dad’s T.

I’m only 6’2” (and skinny) but I had that in mind when I went and looked at ⬇️ 1918 4-cylinder Buick. The car is slightly larger than a T (106” wheelbase vs 100” - unsure of the exact dimensions between seat and steering wheel etc) but I was surprised that I fit in it no problem. Many inches of clearance unused above my head (seated and entering/exiting), the fixed seat is actually right where I’d set it even if it were adjustable. Pedals and steering wheel are entirely natural and comfortable to reach.

Do have to admit though - I’m not as flexible as I once was and entering the car through the very narrow (these cars were definitely made for MUCH smaller people - just like antique furniture) door openings takes some thought and a little finesse. Hard to put into words, but there’s this little twist I have to do with my hips. Getting back out for some reason isn’t a problem at all. If it were the sedan version of this car I’m not so sure I could get in it....

672A5E2F-6725-417E-B9C4-6629C5EC4152.jpeg

Great looking car Ben!

I used to own what was likely the best '26 T Touring in the world. The biggest problem with the car came up after I had knee replacement surgery.  You guessed it,  I struggled to get in and out of the car. I'm 5'11" but have long legs so I can tell you a '26-7 T Touring is NOT recommended.  Oddly,  a 26-7 T Runabout probably would be a much better choice.  They seem to have as much as 3-4 more inches of legroom in them. I would encourage you to go to the Gilmore prewar show coming up this spring (pandemic willing) or to Old Car Festival in Greenfield Village.  You could ask owners of cars you like for a behind the wheel sit. Most would be more than happy to help.

Keep in mind that with sedans you can have seats moved back. So long as the seats are not attached to the B-pillar. With coupes and roadsters you can take some padding out of the seat. Also some cars have adjustable pedals. An inch here or an inch there can make a lot of room.

• Like 3

Find out how big the president of the company was. I am not kidding. Henry Ford was 5'8" 145lbs and hated fat people, while K T Keller of Chrysler was 6' tall and heavy, and made sure all the cars Chrysler made had plenty of room, even the Plymouths. George Mason of Nash was another big man. You will find the cars they made far roomier than a Ford.

• Like 4

I'm only 5'9 and I cannot get comfortable in a Model T or A. I bought a nice Model A roadster back in the late 80's, sold it within a week as I just couldn't get happy behind the wheel. The 35 Packard 120 sedan I've been looking at is just fine. Very easy to climb in or out and lots of room when behind the wheel.

I owned a 1931 Plymouth for many years, as I got taller it was difficult to get behind the wheel to drive it - seat was adjustable but you had to unbolt it from the floor pick it up and drop it into the next set of holes in the floor behind. Once at 6 ft tall with long legs it just was not comfortable. Possibly avoid cars with a division window- flat glass panel behind the front seat does not really allow much room. Franklin sedans of the 1928-31 era are fine, seats can adjust. A friend owned a 1927 Franklin limousine and it was not a good fit for me to drive. I totally agree with the comments regarding a roadster, conv. coupe, coupe - there will be little or no accommodation to move the seat back for extra room. Packard sedans of the era seem to be fine for someone who is 6 feet tall and long in leg. The Franklin "Pirate" convertibles are very very tight in front be they 5 or 7 passenger.

• Like 2