vintage SUV insanity

md murray

The whole bronco and land cruiser thing just continues to blow my mind.  You would think one listed for $339,000 would be an extreme example of the craze were it not for the other 16 vintage bronco's over $200,000 currently listed on Hemmings by just one seller alone! What happens to these vehicles when Brad Pitt or whomever actually buys these things gets tired of it after a couple yrs? 

bronco.jpg

I would say, as for any other vehicle, not to

pay much attention to ASKING prices.  Those

vehicles may be popular, but what are they 

actually SELLING for?

Optimistic sellers may ask unrealistic prices,

and many do.  The fact that one seller, you note,

is the source of many of the high asking prices

may indicate that they're not actually worth that much.

I like overlooked cars and never follow fads.  Such cars

are often more affordable.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

I would say, as for any other vehicle, not to

pay much attention to ASKING prices.  Those

actually SELLING for?

Optimistic sellers may ask unrealistic prices,

and many do.  The fact that one seller, you note,

is the source of many of the high asking prices

may indicate that they're not actually worth that much.

I like overlooked cars and never follow fads.  Such cars

are often more affordable.

I have to agree with this. Broncos are relatively expensive, but they don't seem to be anywhere near 339,000 for one close to stock form. If you look at completed listings on eBay motors and filter out the later gen F150 Broncos, it seems that if you're lucky you can get one in driver condition for under ~30,000, with some of them less than half that. That being said, they do get a lot of bids.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=ford+bronco&_sacat=6001&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

I always liked the looks of IH Scout 80/800s more, plus they can be found for much lower prices. That's one of the upsides of oddball independent cars as John said.

Early Broncos have always gone for stupid money, but the vehicles you are talking about are hand built customs with late model 5.0 liter Coyote engines and drivetrains, custom suspension, custom leather upholstery, and who knows what other hand-built parts. Not exactly a calibration point for the value of a stock restored model. If you don't like it, don't waste your life complaining about it.

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)

15 minutes ago, joe_padavano said:

If you don't like it, don't waste your life complaining about it.

On the contrary I applaud the industrious folks behind these builds -I am bemused not troubled by this trend. If they can put some folks to work and get paid well for it then God Bless them! 

1 hour ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Those

actually SELLING for?

This is exactly what I would love to know-but if they've got 16 of them listed one would assume the demand is there. Icon 4x4 in LA has a waiting list for their Toyota builds which from what I understand start at roughly $150k and quickly climb from there. Between Land Rover, Toyotas and Broncos there are a lot of shops around doing these type of high end restorations which if you notice are rarely if ever called a resto mod- when you get into these types of dollars. 

42 minutes ago, md murray said:

Icon 4x4 in LA has a waiting list for their Toyota builds which from what I understand start at roughly $150k and quickly climb from there. 

And any chance it all being smoke’n’mirrors marketing gimmicks ? 
Alleged “waiting list” to justify pricing, nothing new under the sun (Marketing 101).

Just like anything else in life, when pondering validity or real value of something one should ask themselves “What would I pay, if anything, to own a pre-assembled kit car like this ?” or “How many individuals do I personally know owning one like this ?” etc.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

What kind of marketing gimmick could possibly be at work here? What magic is in putting a huge price on something and then not selling it? What logic is there in turning away customers just to pretend you're building stuff for other customers?

What most of us don't understand is that there are more than a few guys out there for whom a $350,000 vehicle is pocket change. Literally. It takes the ultra-wealthy a few hours to make that much money just by sitting down and watching TV. The Walton family makes $40 million during an episode of The Simpsons. To the truly wealthy, money has no meaning, so the only measurement they have of their worth is what they own. So they commission these builds, which seem exciting at first--you get to pick your colors and interiors, you're working with talented people who have a vision, you get to hang out at a shop and act like you're one of the cool guys, and then, when it's done, you get to show off at some shows. The guys at the shop probably get the vehicle featured on cool websites and magazines, maybe the company that made the wheels uses it in their advertising. Then you take it home, do a couple of death rides for the wife and your buddies, go to a cars and coffee show and let everyone tell you what a stud you are, and then you get bored and stick it in the warehouse with the other 1000 things you've bought that amused you for a brief period, and then you find something else to spend your money on.

A few years later, you sell the outrageous custom build with 89 miles on it because you used it all you're ever going to and you need to make room for the next thing you bought. Auctions are full of such vehicles--I know I've had my share of them.

And yes, stuff like this does sell and does bring big money. Remember when Dodge Power Wagons were rusty $800 throw-aways that even the farmers wanted to get rid of? Yeah, I sold each of these for more than a quarter-million bucks:

001.thumb.JPG.25d5b5aa6f9c3abd16b2623c98e6914c.JPG  001.thumb.JPG.3b1743845987d9c8bfb8f0ef01278aae.JPG  001.thumb.JPG.d1f7580fc8139960c282e31516573276.JPG  001.thumb.JPG.d1c81ff71c85d0640555fee4314c2433.JPG

This brought almost $100K before Broncos were even hot:

001.thumb.JPG.f18d3089b412dc6500b7571a6e3032a5.JPG

It's real and the money is there. Just because the numbers boggle your mind doesn't mean there aren't people who can easily afford it.

• Like 5

I always prefered Olympia to Coors, used to come back form the coast with a suitcase full. Would meet up with a certain actor with a Datsun at PBIR who also appreciated it. Big Oly is only Bronco I'd have any interest in (yes it's relevant)

18 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

Personally I wouldn't trade either of my faithful dogs for one and I'm guessing I get a lot more true pleasure from their company........Bob

A man who would trade his best friend for a car is no man.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, plymouthcranbrook said:

I Like Cats!

Me too. Lost my cat Cleo last spring, 23 yrs old. Cried like I thought I might die..literally. Sadie, however, has been keeping me up all night wanting more and more Temptations treats. Just trying to have a joke

• Thanks 1

A friend of mine in Los Angeles has an 80s Toyota Land Cruiser as his daily driver, and I have to say, it is seriously awesome.  It's a weird combination of vintage 80s style, good reliability, and bravado.  He gets offers to buy it all the time.

• Like 1