Inherited buicks, seeking guidance

AvMac Services, Inc.

Definitely a quality paint job in non-stock color. If it is all original otherwise you might have some interest. A purist would look to be returning it to a factory color ASAP. I don't mind the color but would have limited in interest in a four door. It's a hot rod color on the "least likely to be a hot rod" model. Post up the the other Buicks and if you're serious there is a classified page :) 

2 hours ago, neil morse said:

Looks like a very nice '37 Roadmaster sedan in a rather unfortunate color.  As Lebowski says, what kind of guidance are you looking for?

I don't think that is a Roadmaster. I believe it is a Century, although it could be a Special. It is difficult to tell from those photos. That color is close to a 1938 color, but it is clearly not a 1937 color. I have a suspicion that I may know who painted that car. I have a friend who used to own a 1937 Century that he painted in a color that looks like that. He got the color idea from a 1937 brochure that appeared to show a car in a similar color. The artist who colored the brochure obviously did not know what colors that they were going to actually use in 1937 production. 

I would be interested in knowing what sort of guidance you are looking for regarding the car. 

Hood and wheels look like a Century, but camera angles can deceive.

Color seems to be a riff on the '38 color Raphael Green (see attached), especially with what appears to be slightly darker wheels.

I wouldn't be in a rush to repaint. I think it looks pretty good! I think the '37 sedans wear bright colors better than the '38's.

Anyway, to the OP's interest, which I'm guessing is mainly how much is it worth: Original drivetrain? How's the interior? Does it run?

We need details!

Raphael Green 38 Buick JPEG.jpg

On 9/10/2020 at 2:25 PM, MCHinson said:

I don't think that is a Roadmaster. I believe it is a Century, although it could be a Special. It is difficult to tell from those photos. That color is close to a 1938 color, but it is clearly not a 1937 color. I have a suspicion that I may know who painted that car. I have a friend who used to own a 1937 Century that he painted in a color that looks like that. He got the color idea from a 1937 brochure that appeared to show a car in a similar color. The artist who colored the brochure obviously did not know what colors that they were going to actually use in 1937 production. 

I would be interested in knowing what sort of guidance you are looking for regarding the car. 

I'm looking for a range on value and wanted to see what type of questions would come from experienced people so I knew what I needed to know.  Thanks.

On 9/10/2020 at 2:25 PM, MCHinson said:

Value Range ?  And what info people need to be able to express an opinion.

On 9/10/2020 at 12:22 PM, bhemi said:

Definitely a quality paint job in non-stock color. If it is all original otherwise you might have some interest. A purist would look to be returning it to a factory color ASAP. I don't mind the color but would have limited in interest in a four door. It's a hot rod color on the "least likely to be a hot rod" model. Post up the the other Buicks and if you're serious there is a classified page :) 

Thanks !

3 hours ago, suchan said:

Hood and wheels look like a Century, but camera angles can deceive.

Color seems to be a riff on the '38 color Raphael Green (see attached), especially with what appears to be slightly darker wheels.

I wouldn't be in a rush to repaint. I think it looks pretty good! I think the '37 sedans wear bright colors better than the '38's.

Anyway, to the OP's interest, which I'm guessing is mainly how much is it worth: Original drivetrain? How's the interior? Does it run?

We need details!

Raphael Green 38 Buick JPEG.jpg

I'm trying to load more pictures; It could be running with minimal work; It was running when parked (approximately 2 years ago). Previous Owner got sick & then passed.  A few pictures have been posted of the 29 Buick (more to follow).

I hesitate to hijack the original thread but my friend who I suspect was the one that painted the car that is the subject of this discussion restored a 1937 Century in that color many years ago. He sold it. A few years ago, he was so sad about selling the first one, that he restored another one and painted it the same color. He recently sold the second one. I am 99% sure that is the Mecum car.  

• Thanks 1

Hi ho there, Kermit the frog!  And I like the color.  That's a collectible year, so maybe getting it to an older local mechanic to just get it running and stopping and a little roadtested might get you money ahead or at least a more easy sell.

4 hours ago, AvMac Services, Inc. said:

I'm looking for a range on value and wanted to see what type of questions would come from experienced people so I knew what I needed to know.  Thanks.

Please confirm which model it is. It should have the model on the hood side panels. If the engine number begins with a 6 that would indicate a Century. If a 4, that would indicate a Special. 

If it is a Century like I think it is, running and driving, in an authentic color it should be worth somewhere around $24,850 as a number 2 condition per Old Cars Price Guide. For most buyers, you would have to subtract something for the non-authentic color. There could be a lot of difference of opinion about how much less that paint color would make. My best guess is somewhere around $21,000 to $22,000 after it is running. 

If it is a Special, I would value it about $2,000 less than the value of a Century.   

2 hours ago, MCHinson said:

Please confirm which model it is. It should have the model on the hood side panels. If the engine number begins with a 6 that would indicate a Century. If a 4, that would indicate a Special. 

If it is a Century like I think it is, running and driving, in an authentic color it should be worth somewhere around $24,850 as a number 2 condition per Old Cars Price Guide. For most buyers, you would have to subtract something for the non-authentic color. There could be a lot of difference of opinion about how much less that paint color would make. My best guess is somewhere around $21,000 to $22,000 after it is running. 

If it is a Special, I would value it about $2,000 less than the value of a Century.   

Thank You for your guidance; I will try to get info tomorrow - if not it will be Monday.

2 hours ago, MCHinson said:

I hesitate to hijack the original thread but my friend who I suspect was the one that painted the car that is the subject of this discussion restored a 1937 Century in that color many years ago. He sold it. A few years ago, he was so sad about selling the first one, that he restored another one and painted it the same color. He recently sold the second one. I am 99% sure that is the Mecum car.  

Thank you; Do you know which state he sold the first one in.

5 hours ago, Ben P. said:

I need a barn - that’s all I’ve got to say.

(And that color actually appeals to me on this particular car. I don’t go to shows because I hate snakes so if it’s not a factory color that doesn’t bother me one bit. Am curious to see what it looks like under natural light and not under shop light. I’m guessing the green doesn’t have quite the ‘bite’. 
It shows off the curves of the car well as a pale yellow could but I couldn’t live with a pale yellow on a sedan.

I also think MCHinson is right, this color may have come from a brochure or an illustrated 1937 advertisement because I know I’ve seen it before. If I can find that ad in all my stuff I’ll post it.)

Somebody really loved this car

Thanks.

16 minutes ago, AvMac Services, Inc. said:

I will have to check with him to see, but he was living in New York at the time, so possibly NY.

1 hour ago, Bill - 29 Buick said:

Where have pictures been posted of "the 29 Buick" ?

Bill McLaughlin

1929 Silver Anniversary Buick Club

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/350801-1929-buick/?tab=comments#comment-2105920

and

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/350849-1938-buick-1-of-3-buicks-by-avmac/?tab=comments#comment-2106475

• Like 1

On 9/16/2020 at 9:05 PM, AvMac Services, Inc. said:

I reached my friend today. I forwarded photos of the 1937 Century to him and he is sure that this is the car that he restored. He did sell in in New York about 2008. He said that as he recalled, the buyer drove up from West Virginia, with a trailer, purchased the car and trailered it home.  His name is Larry Howard. He now lives in NC. He would like to speak with you about the car. I will send you a Private Message with his phone number. 

Edited by MCHinson (see edit history)

I have been hunting, on and off, for a '37 or '38 Buick for years. Just waiting to stumble onto the right one at the right time. I always kind of expected it would probably be black. But after seeing this car I have to say, for me personally, it is the sharpest example I have seen. I usually shy away from brighter or incorrect colors for this era but this combination is stunning. I would love to own this car.

IMG_3613.thumb.jpg.e4059b68c16b611fc2c15958a7182b48.jpg.1d622ad21e979b24d29e90f1dd06203a.jpg

It is my understanding that Larry Howard, who restored this car, and sold it back in 2006 or 2008, has made a deal to purchase it back. It will be a couple of weeks before he picks it up, but I look forward to seeing it here in Southeastern NC soon. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/27/2020 at 3:42 PM, MCHinson said:

It is my understanding that Larry Howard, who restored this car, and sold it back in 2006 or 2008, has made a deal to purchase it back. It will be a couple of weeks before he picks it up, but I look forward to seeing it here in Southeastern NC soon. 

Larry picked it up Friday; Was like reuniting old friends; Thanks for your help.

• Like 1