Jump to content

Inherited buicks, seeking guidance


Recommended Posts

What kind of guidance are you seeking? Do you want to restore it or sell it or what? You mentioned "Buicks" so feel free to post pics of the others and how about telling us a little about them and also where they are located. Thanks.... 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely a quality paint job in non-stock color. If it is all original otherwise you might have some interest. A purist would look to be returning it to a factory color ASAP. I don't mind the color but would have limited in interest in a four door. It's a hot rod color on the "least likely to be a hot rod" model. Post up the the other Buicks and if you're serious there is a classified page :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, neil morse said:

Looks like a very nice '37 Roadmaster sedan in a rather unfortunate color.  As Lebowski says, what kind of guidance are you looking for?

I don't think that is a Roadmaster. I believe it is a Century, although it could be a Special. It is difficult to tell from those photos. That color is close to a 1938 color, but it is clearly not a 1937 color. I have a suspicion that I may know who painted that car. I have a friend who used to own a 1937 Century that he painted in a color that looks like that. He got the color idea from a 1937 brochure that appeared to show a car in a similar color. The artist who colored the brochure obviously did not know what colors that they were going to actually use in 1937 production. 

 

I would be interested in knowing what sort of guidance you are looking for regarding the car. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MCHinson said:

I don't think that is a Roadmaster. I believe it is a Century

 

Haha -- OK, that's what I get for going out on a limb.  I just saw the long hood.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hood and wheels look like a Century, but camera angles can deceive.

Color seems to be a riff on the '38 color Raphael Green (see attached), especially with what appears to be slightly darker wheels.

I wouldn't be in a rush to repaint. I think it looks pretty good! I think the '37 sedans wear bright colors better than the '38's.

Anyway, to the OP's interest, which I'm guessing is mainly how much is it worth: Original drivetrain? How's the interior? Does it run?

We need details!

Raphael Green 38 Buick JPEG.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2020 at 2:25 PM, MCHinson said:

I don't think that is a Roadmaster. I believe it is a Century, although it could be a Special. It is difficult to tell from those photos. That color is close to a 1938 color, but it is clearly not a 1937 color. I have a suspicion that I may know who painted that car. I have a friend who used to own a 1937 Century that he painted in a color that looks like that. He got the color idea from a 1937 brochure that appeared to show a car in a similar color. The artist who colored the brochure obviously did not know what colors that they were going to actually use in 1937 production. 

 

I would be interested in knowing what sort of guidance you are looking for regarding the car. 

I'm looking for a range on value and wanted to see what type of questions would come from experienced people so I knew what I needed to know.  Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2020 at 2:25 PM, MCHinson said:

I don't think that is a Roadmaster. I believe it is a Century, although it could be a Special. It is difficult to tell from those photos. That color is close to a 1938 color, but it is clearly not a 1937 color. I have a suspicion that I may know who painted that car. I have a friend who used to own a 1937 Century that he painted in a color that looks like that. He got the color idea from a 1937 brochure that appeared to show a car in a similar color. The artist who colored the brochure obviously did not know what colors that they were going to actually use in 1937 production. 

 

I would be interested in knowing what sort of guidance you are looking for regarding the car. 

Value Range ?  And what info people need to be able to express an opinion.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2020 at 12:22 PM, bhemi said:

Definitely a quality paint job in non-stock color. If it is all original otherwise you might have some interest. A purist would look to be returning it to a factory color ASAP. I don't mind the color but would have limited in interest in a four door. It's a hot rod color on the "least likely to be a hot rod" model. Post up the the other Buicks and if you're serious there is a classified page :) 

Thanks !

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, suchan said:

Hood and wheels look like a Century, but camera angles can deceive.

Color seems to be a riff on the '38 color Raphael Green (see attached), especially with what appears to be slightly darker wheels.

I wouldn't be in a rush to repaint. I think it looks pretty good! I think the '37 sedans wear bright colors better than the '38's.

Anyway, to the OP's interest, which I'm guessing is mainly how much is it worth: Original drivetrain? How's the interior? Does it run?

We need details!

Raphael Green 38 Buick JPEG.jpg

I'm trying to load more pictures; It could be running with minimal work; It was running when parked (approximately 2 years ago). Previous Owner got sick & then passed.  A few pictures have been posted of the 29 Buick (more to follow).

Link to post
Share on other sites

I need a barn - that’s all I’ve got to say.

 

(And that color actually appeals to me on this particular car. I don’t go to shows because I hate snakes so if it’s not a factory color that doesn’t bother me one bit. Am curious to see what it looks like under natural light and not under shop light. I’m guessing the green doesn’t have quite the ‘bite’. 
It shows off the curves of the car well as a pale yellow could but I couldn’t live with a pale yellow on a sedan.

I also think MCHinson is right, this color may have come from a brochure or an illustrated 1937 advertisement because I know I’ve seen it before. If I can find that ad in all my stuff I’ll post it.)

 

Somebody really loved this car

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

A different car was sold by Mecum in 2018⬇️
https://www.mecum.com/lots/CH1018-334032/1937-buick-century/

 

Same color in different light?
(I really don’t know. Don’t have the best eyes in the world and am fussy with colors. That’s why every car I’ve bought in the past 20 years has been black — so I don’t have to fuss with decision.)

Still working on digging up that ‘47 ad.

 

Value or value range? I have no clue. Reading Hemmings each month for 40 years has only told me what people ask. No idea what they get and the length of time they run those expensive ads only gives me a hint.


Mecum, of corse, requires us to register an account online with them to view the auction results, but it would be helpful to know what that one went for.

 

 

D6E03CC8-D3A2-45E2-9E2F-C6962AB474E9.jpeg

Edited by Ben P.
Info, fact correction (see edit history)
Link to post
Share on other sites

I hesitate to hijack the original thread but my friend who I suspect was the one that painted the car that is the subject of this discussion restored a 1937 Century in that color many years ago. He sold it. A few years ago, he was so sad about selling the first one, that he restored another one and painted it the same color. He recently sold the second one. I am 99% sure that is the Mecum car.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi ho there, Kermit the frog!  And I like the color.  That's a collectible year, so maybe getting it to an older local mechanic to just get it running and stopping and a little roadtested might get you money ahead or at least a more easy sell.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AvMac Services, Inc. said:

I'm looking for a range on value and wanted to see what type of questions would come from experienced people so I knew what I needed to know.  Thanks.

 

Please confirm which model it is. It should have the model on the hood side panels. If the engine number begins with a 6 that would indicate a Century. If a 4, that would indicate a Special. 

 

If it is a Century like I think it is, running and driving, in an authentic color it should be worth somewhere around $24,850 as a number 2 condition per Old Cars Price Guide. For most buyers, you would have to subtract something for the non-authentic color. There could be a lot of difference of opinion about how much less that paint color would make. My best guess is somewhere around $21,000 to $22,000 after it is running. 

 

If it is a Special, I would value it about $2,000 less than the value of a Century.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MCHinson said:

 

Please confirm which model it is. It should have the model on the hood side panels. If the engine number begins with a 6 that would indicate a Century. If a 4, that would indicate a Special. 

 

If it is a Century like I think it is, running and driving, in an authentic color it should be worth somewhere around $24,850 as a number 2 condition per Old Cars Price Guide. For most buyers, you would have to subtract something for the non-authentic color. There could be a lot of difference of opinion about how much less that paint color would make. My best guess is somewhere around $21,000 to $22,000 after it is running. 

 

If it is a Special, I would value it about $2,000 less than the value of a Century.   

Thank You for your guidance; I will try to get info tomorrow - if not it will be Monday.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MCHinson said:

I hesitate to hijack the original thread but my friend who I suspect was the one that painted the car that is the subject of this discussion restored a 1937 Century in that color many years ago. He sold it. A few years ago, he was so sad about selling the first one, that he restored another one and painted it the same color. He recently sold the second one. I am 99% sure that is the Mecum car.  

Thank you; Do you know which state he sold the first one in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ben P. said:

I need a barn - that’s all I’ve got to say.

 

(And that color actually appeals to me on this particular car. I don’t go to shows because I hate snakes so if it’s not a factory color that doesn’t bother me one bit. Am curious to see what it looks like under natural light and not under shop light. I’m guessing the green doesn’t have quite the ‘bite’. 
It shows off the curves of the car well as a pale yellow could but I couldn’t live with a pale yellow on a sedan.

I also think MCHinson is right, this color may have come from a brochure or an illustrated 1937 advertisement because I know I’ve seen it before. If I can find that ad in all my stuff I’ll post it.)

 

Somebody really loved this car

 

Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bill - 29 Buick said:

 

Where have pictures been posted of "the 29 Buick" ?

 

Bill McLaughlin

1929 Silver Anniversary Buick Club

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/350801-1929-buick/?tab=comments#comment-2105920

 

and

 

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/350849-1938-buick-1-of-3-buicks-by-avmac/?tab=comments#comment-2106475

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Ben P. said:

A different car was sold by Mecum in 2018⬇️
https://www.mecum.com/lots/CH1018-334032/1937-buick-century/

 

Same color in different light?
(I really don’t know. Don’t have the best eyes in the world and am fussy with colors. That’s why every car I’ve bought in the past 20 years has been black — so I don’t have to fuss with decision.)

Still working on digging up that ‘47 ad.

 

Value or value range? I have no clue. Reading Hemmings each month for 40 years has only told me what people ask. No idea what they get and the length of time they run those expensive ads only gives me a hint.


Mecum, of corse, requires us to register an account online with them to view the auction results, but it would be helpful to know what that one went for.

 

 

D6E03CC8-D3A2-45E2-9E2F-C6962AB474E9.jpeg

Well this is embarrassing - I apparently can’t read because it says right on top of Mecum’s page that the auction was held October 2018. I thought it was current and hadn’t taken place yet.

I edited my earlier post. It would be helpful to know what this one went for.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/16/2020 at 9:05 PM, AvMac Services, Inc. said:

Thank you; Do you know which state he sold the first one in.

 

I reached my friend today. I forwarded photos of the 1937 Century to him and he is sure that this is the car that he restored. He did sell in in New York about 2008. He said that as he recalled, the buyer drove up from West Virginia, with a trailer, purchased the car and trailered it home to Virginia.  His name is Larry Howard. He now lives in NC. He would like to speak with you about the car. I will send you a Private Message with his phone number. 

Edited by MCHinson (see edit history)
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been hunting, on and off, for a '37 or '38 Buick for years. Just waiting to stumble onto the right one at the right time. I always kind of expected it would probably be black. But after seeing this car I have to say, for me personally, it is the sharpest example I have seen. I usually shy away from brighter or incorrect colors for this era but this combination is stunning. I would love to own this car.

IMG_3613.thumb.jpg.e4059b68c16b611fc2c15958a7182b48.jpg.1d622ad21e979b24d29e90f1dd06203a.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...