Memoribilia to view - A guide

1 hour ago, Robert G. Smits said:

I thought I had seen that posted before but forgot about your sheet music thread.  It's hard to keep a thread going when you have most of the material.  

Wish I did have most of it - lots I've seen in other collections that I'll probably not ever find.  Nice thing about collecting things like that (like spark plugs), so much was produced only in localized communities that it's difficult to find outside of that area.  There is stuff published on the West coast that I'll never find.  That's why this forum has been so great.  It connects collectors. 

Terry

I picked up one of these switches maybe 5 years ago and the other about 2 years later.

Both identical boxes contained identical NOS switches that look slightly different than the boxes.

What is odd the name on the box is Pollac Universal and both switches have Kanpp stamped on the front.

010.JPG

013.JPG

001 (2).JPG

Recent acquisition - another Royal Doulton item.  These vase are large - 9 5/8" tall.  They are among only a few pieces in the Doulton Motorist series that have two different images on them - one on each side.  Images on this one are not often seen on these vases.  There are 9 different images in this series, all hand colored, that are seen on a variety of different items.  Six of the known scenes are used on plates in different sizes.  They were produced from 1905 when the design was first registered, until 1928 when they were discontinued.  There are quite a few automobilia collectors chasing these wonderful items, and I've wanted a vase for many years.  They seem to suffer commonly from crazing in the glaze, and as you can imagine, damage to those large handles.  For that reason, I've passed on a few examples over the years.  Just as I began to wonder if I'd ever find one that was above average in condition, I had the chance to buy this one - and it is nearly perfect!   All good things in time I guess.

Terry

My collection 9 inch vase side 1.jpg

My collection 9 inch vase side 2.jpg

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Added quite a bit this week. Finally got the maxwell milk glass up. Plastic lighted Simca sign which is very late 50's, early 60's. Canadian mopar sign beside it. Skeleton neon's added at the bottom. A TV show has asked to come in and do an episode on the place, so I'm scrambling to get things up that I've been putting off. Next week I go to take down a 10' x 22' billboard that has been in its original location since the 1940's. Pretty crazy. 

7F54F078-6CD7-4200-A402-7D3AA55B9456.jpeg

• Like 1

Motometers made by the Boyce Company of Long Island City are well known, but Boyce also exported these and those could have text printed on them that would be in the language of the country they were exported to. Here are two examples of Boyce offerings found in the French car magazine Omnia. The car mascot type with the plated wing has a glass tube running up through the middle that can be seen if you look to the right side of the image, this is from 1932.  the print advertisement is from 1926.

New York was a major export venue for all kinds of products , from American car and truck chassis ( that were then bodied in Europe) to products like this. The Packard Motor Car Company earned a substantial profit from the export of its trucks when the Great War ( WWI) was raging in Europe . Trucks were transported from the Packard factory by barge across Lake Erie then loaded on trains to make the journey to New York City to be loaded on steam ships along the Hudson River. Vehicle production in Europe had diminished as factories were producing items for combat.

MotometerBPARIS1926.jpg

BoycemotometerTWOFrance1932.jpg

• Like 1

Motometer collectors are about as crazy of some spark plug collectors I know of.😉

• Haha 2

In the past several weeks we've made trips to both Saratoga Springs, NY and most recently to Auburn, IN.  We flew to Albany, rented a car (arranged well in advance thank goodness) and drove to and from Saratoga Springs.  The AACA meets in both places were great and it sure felt great to be out and about once again.  Lots of fantastic cars to look at, old friends to share time with again, and even some antique hunting. 

The trip to and from Auburn was especially great as we drove and included some of our favorite antique stops along the way.  We've given them a full year to restock, but-dealers tell us they've been closed a year and with little business, there was no incentive to bring in new merchandise, and little opportunity to do that anyway. 

Near Cincinnati Ohio, there is a very large antique mall that's open 7 days a week, 9Am to 9Pm.  As always we manged to find a few treasures there, but nothing really significant.  There are other antique malls in the vicinity, but nothing as good. Most in fact were more like big yard-sales than true antique shops.  Sorry folks, but made yesterday toys and beanie babies are NOT antiques!l 

The ride home took us across towards Springfield, Oh where we spent several hours breezing through the Heart of Ohio Antique Mall.  Over 500 real antique dealers are housed in a large building filled with aisles of display cases, and individual booths selling great stuff.  What little "junque" did exist there was isolated to a few backroom areas.   Saw some neat things, and carried a few home with me.  Prices generally very good, although there were a few things I saw that were absolutely stupid.  Long gone are the days when antique dealers would buy something and put a percentage mark-up on it.  Their merchandise usually turned over quickly.  Now, we see dealers who look at Evil-bay, pick the highest asking guess on an item and try to get rich.   Off-target a bit here but had to rant a bit.

Here are a few of my recent additions to the automobilia collection.   It's quite a variety, but all are genuine early antique objects related to the history of motoring.  

First up, a neat early embossed fold-out German valentine.   Love these things!

1552168148_EarlyValentinenewacquisitionresized.jpg.2bead59783b51854780aa4377a707cd1.jpg

Next is a fabulous linen pillow cover that was never sewn into a pillow. I've seen these also used as just framed decorations or even used as draft screens for fireplaces.   The image is painted onto the linen and the colors are bold.  Any creasing shadows showing will naturally flatten out before I mat and frame it.  It's very early and a variety that I'd not seen before.  It measures 24" square.

Pillow cover type 2.jpg

Another nodder!  This fine porcelain nodder (bobble head is today's term for them) is in fantastic condition It's hand pained and lightly glazed.  They usually came in pairs-a man and woman motorist.  I have another pair I'd shown previously and although this one is similar, it's different in several ways.  Search is on for her mate!

Nodder 1.jpg

The next little print may have served as an advertising piece or label at one time  Its only about 5" square.

Boy-Girl driving.jpg

Can't find a date on this Ford Times magazine.  I'm guessing 1911, and it shows a UK manufactured Model T touring car.  The UK manufactured Ts are often seen with the rounded cowl rather than the flat wooden dashboard typical of T's made in this country.  Another indication is the wooden windshield framework and the enclosed touring car body.   No indications of a date for it, but I'm sure if I look through the info I've got at hand I'll come up with something.

Ford times.jpg

Below is a fairly common print by noted illustrated Earl Christy.  I couldn't resist this one as it's in a nice period frame.  Although I have a larger version of this, I'm going to hang this one in my office and enjoy it while I'm plunking away on the keyboard posting neat stuff on the forum.

Print Christie 2.jpg

Last up is a cool gold-wash stickpin from an early automobile dealership in Los Angeles.   This is a fairly large stickpin, larger than most others in my collection.  Shown also is the backside.  The Reuss automobile Company gets several mentions in an internet search.  Apparently it was an well establish and quite early dealership selling a number of different high-end automobiles.  It seems that Wm Reuss also was involved in early automobile racing.  More research needed, but I like it.

Stickpin front.jpg

Stickpin back.jpg

There were other items too that I've not photo'd yet and will save for another time.  Got some neat early periodicals, an early 1910 accessory catalog, and a few other small items for the display case.  

Good stuff is still out there, but you have to dig through a lot to get there.   My feet were tired long before the wallet was empty!  

On to the next adventure!

Terry

• Like 3

Here’s a meager item to add to the mix.  I wonder if Terry Bond has a separate collection of these advertising items😀.  From the local Ford dealership here in Lititz PA.  Looking at the business end of this device I don’t think it was ever used for its intended purpose.

FCA6680B-F0A0-47A5-B4E6-6427443ADB71.jpeg

3D73CD61-B5F8-4D25-82A3-D7BB422CDFD5.jpeg

• Like 1

Guys, you’ll all be happy to know that the days of us wrenching and servicing our cars while worrying about costs are OVER. I just picked up this copyright 1917 (second edition from 1920) of :

“How To Take Care of an Automobile At Small Expense”

Even though it is my book, I’m happy to share some excerpts from it so we can all do what we love at “at small expense”

..........,”With a car you can go everywhere and see everything, and this takes you out of the rut of an ordinary human being and put you in the class of the superman”.......

089560A7-7882-4785-BFF4-613C90044595.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/31/2021 at 10:12 PM, Terry Bond said:

I'm going to add a couple of items here rather than try and start a separate thread - these are pretty neat but scarce items - Tobacco jars/humidors. There are some varieties that are figural - depicting an image of a chauffeur, or early motorist.   One of my favorites is this chauffeur in the lower left corner.  It was produced by the German manufacturers WS&S - Wilhelm Schiller and Sons.  The company began in the 1800s but did not survive after WWI.  They were well known for producing majolica porcelains. The bright, bold colors are indicative of that style of pottery.  The cap of the chauffeur removes to access the tobacco stored inside.  A compartment made as part of the underside of the cap has a space to hold a damp sponge to keep the tobacco moist.

The three "cartoonish" humidors are designed by the Italian caricature artist Peko.  The designs for these particular humidors were taken from illustrations done in both postcard and lithographic form.  These three different humidors all have removable caps, again with a place for a damp sponge.  In the back, lower level is a full-figured, rotund chauffeur by an unknown artist.  It is quite early, probably European and painted in the majolica style.  

There are many other motoring related tobacco jars, some full figured motorists, and others simple containers with an automotive scene illustrated on them.  I'm always looking for others, as are of course those who collect smoking related artifacts.

Enjoy,

Terry

Collection of humidors.jpg

Full figured humidor.jpg

I first posted this back at the end of March.  Since then, I've been able to add a couple of others including a very rare larger size of the Schiller produced humidor, and a different Peko (shown top left rear in the photo).  I didn't mention it earlier, but that squat round humidor is also pictured in the John Zolomiji book "The Motor Car in Art" depicting selections from the famed Ray Holland collection.  It's misidentified in that reference however and described as a "bowl with a hole in the lid for an attachment," which is missing from the one photo'd in the book.  Under the lid is a molded compartment for a damp sponge to keep tobacco moist, solid evidence of it's actual intended use.  I guess it also shows that not all reference works are totally accurate. 

Terry

Pair Whilhelm Schiller.jpg

Peko Humidors.jpg

Llidded jar type Humidor.jpg

• Like 4

Thought it about time I added something here again. Need to take a brief break from doing the research and writing rough drafts of several stories that are due for a deadline . This is a trivet(?) that Packard issued in the late teens? cast bronze. Reproductions were made some years ago so if you look at one for sale be aware of that. Got this from Austin Clark as he had more then one and that was in the early to mid 1970s. Neat that the back states who it was made for/by.

Yes, I will clean it but got it into my head to clean and polish some brass lamps evenings while being bored watching mindless tv so have to finish one of those up first. I do not really collect brass lamps ( my son says "yeah sure Dad") but have acquired a few over the years.

More photos of pre WWII era toys to follow - I love toys, the larger kind as it is easier to see details better.

Packardtrivetfront.jpg

PackardtrivetRear.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/13/2021 at 12:48 PM, Terry Bond said:

Quite an interesting history on those Morton Converse automobiles

Terry, I picked up one more touring.  It's restored, which in the topsy turvy world of antique toys actually devalues it, but it's in nice condition with very nice lights.

Would like to find a roadster, let me know if you run across one you don't want!  dc

converse 3.jpg

6 hours ago, Walt G said:

Thought it about time I added something here again. Need to take a brief break from doing the research and writing rough drafts of several stories that are due for a deadline . This is a trivet(?) that Packard issued in the late teens? cast bronze. Reproductions were made some years ago so if you look at one for sale be aware of that. Got this from Austin Clark as he had more then one and that was in the early to mid 1970s. Neat that the back states who it was made for/by.

Yes, I will clean it but got it into my head to clean and polish some brass lamps evenings while being bored watching mindless tv so have to finish one of those up first. I do not really collect brass lamps ( my son says "yeah sure Dad") but have acquired a few over the years.

More photos of pre WWII era toys to follow - I love toys, the larger kind as it is easier to see details better.

Packardtrivetfront.jpg

PackardtrivetRear.jpg

I don’t think it’s meant to be a trivet, but the earlier Whitehead & Haog paperweights seem to have similar feet, where the later Robbins Company ones do not. Great piece, and I will also note that the original W&H ones are likely marked on the edge and typically at the bottom of the design.

17FC6B88-6DF9-450F-B10F-78190C205656.jpeg

66B541CB-CDE0-4F0C-B9E6-45D0D4C462F7.jpeg

3 hours ago, trimacar said:

Terry, I picked up one more touring.  It's restored, which in the topsy turvy world of antique toys actually devalues it, but it's in nice condition with very nice lights.

Would like to find a roadster, let me know if you run across one you don't want!  dc

converse 3.jpg

Nice. I looked at one not long ago that I considered over priced based on its coition ($1100).  I think there is a point where things like these are deserving of restoration if condition warrants. Did you notice the sidelamps are mounted upside down and backwards?

9 minutes ago, Terry Bond said:

Nice. I looked at one not long ago that I considered over priced based on its coition ($1100).  I think there is a point where things like these are deserving of restoration if condition warrants. Did you notice the sidelamps are mounted upside down and backwards?

Yes, I'd noticed that, but just haven't had the time to fix. I'm thinking the lights must be reproductions, but on the other hand (per my diagram of them) they are not simple to replicate.

Obviously restored by a toy guy and not a brass car guy, who would know which way they go, good catch on your part!

Yes, 1100 should buy you a pretty nice one.  thanks David C.

5 hours ago, TheMoneyPit said:

I don’t think it’s meant to be a trivet, but the earlier Whitehead & Haog paperweights seem to have similar feet, where the later Robbins Company ones do not. Great piece, and I will also note that the original W&H ones are likely marked on the edge and typically at the bottom of the design.

17FC6B88-6DF9-450F-B10F-78190C205656.jpeg

66B541CB-CDE0-4F0C-B9E6-45D0D4C462F7.jpeg

The paperweights are great!   Here are a couple of others from my collection.  

Terry

Dort paperweight.jpg

Paige paperweight.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TheMoneyPit said:

I don’t have either of those Terry, but I am pretty sure they are the footed style from W&H, is that right?

The Dort paperweight has the small rounded feet but no other markings on it to indicate the maker.  Here is a photo of the back.

The Paige paperweight has no feet and no other markings on the back-just plain.  Don't know who made them.  Could have been W&H but always thought they marked their items?

Terry

Dort paperweight reverse side.jpg

• Like 1

Terry....I have the same paper weights as yours. My honey got me the Dort item and I got the Chalmers item from an antique mall. A good friend gave me the ashtray. He said i would appreciate it more than he would. They all sit right in front of me as I type and I enjoy them every day.

IMG_1918 (2).JPG

I have a small collection of items from various world's fairs. Here are a few. The small, bronze tray has a view from above like on the paperweight. It was among a bunch of cookie sheets at a yard sale. I looked closely at it and saw the etchings on it. I showed the guy and asked if he was sure he only wanted a dime for it and he said yes.

IMG_1919 (2).JPG

IMG_1920 (2).JPG

IMG_1921 (2).JPG

IMG_1922 (2).JPG

IMG_1923 (2).JPG

IMG_1924 (2).JPG

IMG_1925 (2).JPG

IMG_1926 (2).JPG

• Like 2

Interesting print - we all know drinking and driving is a no-no, but there was a time when a beer and an automobile apparently mixed well.  A lot of early advertising for beer appeared in the early 1900s that featured automobiles.  This one is interesting.  Not long ago I found a copy of the print, without any advertising printed on it.   This past week while in New Ulm MN for the AACA Grand National we took a tour through the Schell Brewery there and I was amazed to see this wonderful print used to advertise their beer.   An original hangs in their museum but a reprint poster was available in the gift shop.  I don't usually buy modern reprints but this was too nice to pass up.  I've not framed my original print yet so can do both of these to match and display them together.  Oh-the beer was great too!

Terry

Print early car wilth ladies.jpg

Scheels framed.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

a beer and an automobile apparently mixed well.

In 1985 drinking and driving was legal in 26  states.  A trip from Houston to Dallas was known to locals as a 6 pack trip.  Open containers in Texas were outlawed in 2001 resulting in 7000 tickets in the first six months  Actually in 1985 it was possible to drive from Key West to the Idaho/Canada border and drink for 3700 miles.  Todays trivia.

Time for a new item - the little cream pitcher on the left is an addition to this collection.  These are commonly known as 'childrens tea sets.'  In a child's hand I'm not sure they would have lasted long however.  Still, the are wonderful early 1900s items and no doubt were prized possessions in their day, whoever owned or played with them.  These were most likely produced in Germany.  They come in endless variations.  I've got at least three different tea-pots, and a good assortment of cream/sugar containers as well as cups, saucers, small plates, and whatever comprised a  "tea set" at the time.  There are a few variations on the image as well.  These items are not terribly expensive.  I've found them in antique shops, flea markets, and of course on the internet.  I think it's a collection that will never really be complete (whatever that is).

Terry

Childs tea set.jpg

• Like 2

Another alcohol/auto advertisement from my collection for I.W. Harper Whiskey  This namesake was born in 1872 and won Gold Medals throughout the 1800s and early 1900s. By 1966 I.W. Harper was enjoyed in 110 countries .  These are part of my Breweriana collection which dates back almost as far as my auto collection

5F6DE68E-D9B0-43B1-8B3E-E54858C50B42.jpeg

506F69FE-49BF-4D66-BC14-82F9C78E50DC.jpeg

Edited by Robert G. Smits (see edit history)
  • Like 1