Period RACE CAR Images to Relieve some of the Stress

On 5/5/2020 at 1:05 PM, AHa said:

If this is a Buick, and I'm not saying it ain't, then it is not a production model. To my knowledge, all of the larger size production cars used shaft drive. What are the advantages/disadvantages of shaft drive? I know most if not all earlier large displacement cars used chain drive but by 1910, most had switched to shaft drive. Why would Buick build a special chain drive racer in 1910/11?

A couple things I know, and an "I think".

In the early days of automobiles, chain drive was the obvious and natural progression of design. Also, small shops could make small parts, a full differential built inside a heavy rear housing was beyond reach to most shops. Early style chain driven open differentials were easy to make, but suffered badly from mud and dust. About 1903, several car makers began using drive shafts and enclosed differentials. Big heavy cars continued to use chain drive because although the heavy steel idler axle for the wheels was strong enough, the technology hadn't yet clearly permitted heavy enough enclosed differentials to handle the weight of the car. A smaller enclosed differential (driving the chains) did not have to support the heavy weight, and was protected from the stresses of the load and road by roughly a factor of three to one (the gear ratio). Hence, the differential could be about one third the size. A few years back, I helped a friend repair (a minor issue) the transmission and chain driving differential for a 1907 Thomas Flyer ( a "chassis twin" to the around the world car!). I was amazed at how small the differential was for such a large and heavy car! Then I realized, all it did, was from a fixed position, drive the chains.

Racing cars have a couple other considerations. One, they are usually driven really HARD!  That separation of the axle and differential does offer some advantages. One, the heavy steel idler axle takes the skidding and other abuse better than a directly mounted differential. And two, racing cars are used under a variety of racing formats. Hill climbs, short circles, long ovals, and wet sand beaches for high speed straightaways! Every format has differing requirements for power and gearing. The best gear ratio for each racing format is different. All the mechanic has to do to change the gear ratio is change the driving sprockets to larger or smaller, and a few inches of chain links.

• Thanks 1

1969 / 70 was the era I was old enough  { almost a teenager } to really take notice of NASCAR . The cars and the racing / drivers were at a zenith. The teams were definitely professional but still at a relatively down to earth level.

No multi million $ budgets. And although very specially prepared cars still quite a bit of connection to the production line starting points.  Enough HP with the Boss 9's and Hemis that speeds were amazing on the superspeedways. Still a couple of road course races each year to keep things interesting. Enough driver safety to start to shrink the " Russian roulette " factor.

images1969.jpg

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I remember those days, days when the greatest NASCAR drivers struggled financially from week to week and many still had full time jobs and worked on their cars at night. There was a whole different definition of racing. Today NASCAR has rules that demand each car be exactly the same. It's not about the cars anymore; it's about the skill of the driver and a lot of carma.

I don't know much of anything about race cars. These photos are a scanned page of an old family photo album. I know nothing about the race but was always intrigued by the photos. I would guess that they were probably taken somewhere in Illinois. I think they are the only racing photos that I have. 

JA028a.jpg

1903 Paris-Madrid, known as "The Race to Death."  Interesting history that was part of my seminar in Philly last ear on the early races in France.

The race was actually stopped and the cars returned to Paris by train because of all the accidents along the route. 

Paris Madrid start.jpg

Paris Madrid.jpg

Edmonds, Darracq.png

Spectat0ors.png

Wreck 1.jpg

Wreck 2.jpg

Wreck 3.jpg

Louis Renault.jpg

Automobile driver Moukmier driving a Staver automobile up a hill ...

This picture, along with the two above, are copyrighted images. Since this is not a commercial enterprise and no one is profiting financially from the images, I don't see a problem with posting them here. If I am wrong, please tell me. If you click on the image, it will take you to a site where the image can be purchased or the right of use can be purchased. All three images are of Staver cars.

Edited by AHa (see edit history)
  • Like 2

If you lived on long island in the early post WWII era then you may have gone to either Freeport or Islip Stadium for the stock car and midget auto races.  I attended the stock car races about 2 or 3 times a year with my parents and uncle and cousins. My parents weren't into the stock cars but my uncle , being a excellent mechanic was, and we would go down into the pit area to talk to the guys there. The whole place in that area reeked of gasoline and oil - I just loved it. When we came home after the races we all had to take a shower because the air was filled with "dust" from the tires from the race cars and you had a layer of black grime rubber all over your clothes, skin, hair etc. Way cool for a pre teen kid to experience. I remember going to elementary school the next day and being asked what I did over the weekend and answering " went to the stock car races in Freeport" that usually did not meet with a great reception from my classmates or teacher. Things never change much, by Jr. high school I was asked the same question and my answer was "went to an antique car show/tour in a 1931 Plymouth, 1932 DeSoto, 1932 Franklin, 1934 Chevy , 1939 Packard , (all cars owned by close friends)  by the time I was in high school no one asked anymore what I did on a weekend as they pretty much knew what the answer would be - some activity involving a car with running boards.

FreeportStadiumprogram1950001.jpg

• Like 1

Studebaker Indy car #34 as it appeared in the 1933 Indy 500, finished 7th with Tony Gulotta at the wheel, Carl Riscigno as riding mechanic.  Nine of the 42 cars running in the 1933 race had Studebaker engines.  Car #34 was later cut down to a sports car and fenders added, perhaps by John Troka of Chicago.  Here are some photos from a car meet in South Bend, In in 1951.  The chassis, radiator shell, and mechanical pieces were found by Brooks Stephens about 1961 and restored to its 1933 form with a new body.  It's now owned by August Grasis III of Kansas City. MO, and raced in vintage events.  The current engine is actually a Pierce-Arrow 366 cu in straight 8, closely related to the Studebaker engines, just another 3/8" stroke.

1933K35611.thumb.jpg.691475b3011c25c44a4e3be20a92493d.jpg

Car #34 at Indy in 1933.

17520821_195134carLH.jpg.4e2e9f19a3fd7839fbf33cadfa9d54d7.jpg

Car #34 converted to a sports car.  Pictures from 1951.

1524386252_195134carRFQ.jpg.9c63ac163ca3e1c27b9505a4a95d7b72.jpg

370769815_195134carRH.jpg.37a2b8955872397235a392f2b6869a3c.jpg

1304346599_195134SoBend.jpg.c8a65822b7c1f997064ba14397e80881.jpg

154355174_Studebakercar34-mechanicGeorgeHull.JPG.6d8e6bcc415cd409b27269c5ddffe6e3.JPG

Car #34 in its current configuration, tended by mechanic George Hull.

• Like 3

1926 Panhard Lame de Rasoir. The only car I've come across where your legs go through the steering wheel.

8263E941-98C2-4DFC-B76A-6D2A907E0821.thumb.jpeg.8dd0e0e24518cf7c9eec832ede2809ab.jpeg

EAFD8952-5A29-47CF-B025-5D219C5487C1.thumb.jpeg.86149997c1344f5e2f5c185b4dd58d40.jpeg

4B486939-D71B-41DE-942B-B49897B20F00.thumb.jpeg.ba113658e3b74ed914034b7f55f3cc8e.jpeg

Buick

Riverside will be the starting line for The Great Race and its ...

This car is a survivor. It was purchased in 1909 as a Buick model 16 and later stripped for racing by the two brothers you see in this picture. Today it exists pretty much as you see it above and was run in the Great American Race last year. Buick started using the square emblem in the window in 1912, so this picture can be dated sometime around then.

Edited by AHa (see edit history)
  • Like 1