Period RACE CAR Images to Relieve some of the Stress

I am not sure from where, but I recognize the second car in Steve M's photo--

A Ballard just beat me to it!

--as a Fiat with the stone guard on it. A few of the names I recognize, especially "Teddy" Tetzlaff! I have seen him in photos with a stone screen a few times, and wondered why he would protect his radiator that way when he was out front so often. ---

Criminy! Everybody types faster than I do!

---he probably wanted to protect his radiator from flying debris from the cars he was coming up behind after 

lapping them!

• Thanks 1

If I had been paying any attention I would have realized all the guys are wearing Fiat sweaters so it is undoubtedly a factory promotional picture. Interestingly, the first car appears smaller than the second car. Are they all S74 cars?

Steve, I understand your time restraints. Thanks for the effort!

On 4/19/2020 at 10:58 AM, Steve Moskowitz said:

Altoona  board speedway in 1931.  1 1/4 mile track.  I hope the resolution shows the condition of the boards..yikes!  I have read stories of splinters and chunks of wood flying at the faces of the drivers and the condition of this track proves it!  Some special kind of bravery to drive back in those days.  

20200419101704926_0002.jpg

20200419101704926_0001.jpg

I have been told that was part of the problem, but probably the real issue was oil leaking on the track causing it to be SUPER SLIPPERY.  "oil ice"

5 hours ago, AHa said:

If I had been paying any attention I would have realized all the guys are wearing Fiat sweaters so it is undoubtedly a factory promotional picture. Interestingly, the first car appears smaller than the second car. Are they all S74 cars?

Steve, I understand your time restraints. Thanks for the effort!

Two S74s, the rest S61s I reckon.

I was looking through a file of photos I downloaded from ebay about five years ago.

This one is Biagio Nazzaro who raced Indians. I haven't been able to find out anything about him. No mention of any connection to the more well-known Felice Nazzaro. He doesn't feature in the wiki lists of Italian and American motorcycle racers. I did find one link with a photo.

http://www.caimag.com/forum/showthread.php?10513-Racing-Photos/page2

$_57 (73) biagio nazzaro.JPG

These three photos - from my 2015 ebay file -  are from an early Italian Grand Prix - date unknown - at a guess 1924.

Using Google translate the captions are - 1 -  the grandstands, 2 - the North Curve, and 3 - the machines ready to start.

$_57 (96).JPG

$_57 (97).JPG

$_57 (98).JPG

Here is one I discovered today in the Detroit public library archive. It was a  by product of the one eyed Garford thread.  But being a race car photo it should get a wider audience here.

Staver Chicago 30 race car in the background.

An amazing change in 60 years from cars like these below, to Uncle Buck's 1972 Indy car above !

Greg in Canada

andstaverracecar.png

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

9 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

Here is one I discovered today in the Detroit public library archive. It was a  by product of the one eyed Garford thread.  But being a race car photo it should get a wider audience here.

Staver Chicago 30 race car in the background.

An amazing change in 60 years from cars like these below, to Uncle Buck's 1972 Indy car above !

Greg in Canada

andstaverracecar.png

Abbott-Detroit on the left?

I stole this one from another thread. I can find no other reference or pictures of the car on the web. Can anybody shed any more light on this car?

view

I may have identified the car's make. By comparison, it may be a 1906 era Garford. Garfords had twelve spoke wheels front and rear and individual exhaust pipes. The exhaust pipes on the model 30 were paired by twos and were closer together than the pipes exiting the hood on this car. If this is a Garford, it is a special race motor under the hood.

Edited by AHa
new info (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A 1920s photo from New Zealand. The car on the left is a 1914 Sunbeam TT model. It was owned in that era by Bill Hamilton - later well-known for developing the jet boat.  The car was raced with some success and was later dismantled although all the bits survived and the car is now restored and is in the UK.

The other one is a Bugatti Brescia, owned in the 1920s by Andy Irving. I think the same car was later owned by the Roycroft family and for a while was cut down into a midget racer.

Phil Jones photo Hamilton Sunbeam Irving Bugatti (2).jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am thinking the race car in the window is a Cole 30. The other photo shows 3 signs that all are concerned with the Cole 30's racing and endurance achievements. One of the signs even states that this car was driven by Bill Endicott in a championship of some sort { very hard to read due to the reflections }.

This would seem to indicate it is a Cole.

Greg

untitledcoleracer2.png

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Greg,

You may be right. Both the Cole and the Garford used the same number spokes in the front and rear wheels. There was a Cole that raced in the Vanderbilt cup races. There are very few pictures found on the web and the body is different but the window lettering does indicate the car is a Cole 30. By the way, wouldn't it be nice to be able to walk down a city street and see a car like this in an elevated street store window?

• Like 1

Or how about this one,

Early Racing Cars - All Desain

Check out that radiator neck and cap. How about those guys leaning over the fence for a better view. Or the mechanicians coat blown out by the wind. I also like the way they've got the spare tire hung. I guess that's an exhaust pipe just back of the fender. How about that scarf over the drivers face. Wonder if he's practicing social distancing. Can anybody identify this chain drive wonder? Looks like a Locomobile by the front axle.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I believe this is another picture of the 1905 Locomobile race car commissioned by Harold Thomas and built by Locomobile at a cost of $18,000. The front axle indicates it is a Locomobile car and the car wore the number 5 in the 05 Vanderbilt cup race. The lack of a round gas tank behind the seat indicates it is not the #16 or the #1 sister car. The man in the long trench coat may be Harold Thomas, the driver would be Joe Tracy. The gas tank was hung under the rear between the springs. Usually there is a small bustle behind the seat. Again, if I am correct, this car is usually identified as "Joe Tracy's Locomobile."

Vanderbilt Cup Races - Car Stories - Mercedes #5 (1904)

• Thanks 1

I am curious if Opel tried to sell cars in the North American market in the early teens. Or were the race car efforts not tied to a larger marketing program for regular production cars. I almost never hear of a brass era Opel in North America.

Mercedes and Renault both tried the North American market and  had some degree of success. And their race cars were well regarded in North American racing.

I am probably wrong but most Opel production cars seem to be relatively small cars. A market that was quite crowded with domestic makes.

Greg

Here is a #9 Locomobile, but I don't know what year it is. Race car numbers are a bit of a mystery, did the car get a different one the following year, did they change from event to the next event? The number mystery went on well after WWII if you look at race programs, guess there were a lot of extra numerals added with tape. Bob 

DSCF8039.JPG

1 hour ago, apolo1100 said:

Very nice  reading material here.. ! wouuw .. thank you all   .!

I have a question .?

does the name   JEAN BIER SABIN car sounds familiar to any one here..?

it's a 1914,  4 cylinder SUPERCHARGED chain driven car.

Something other than a Chadwick? Bob 

This is a 1907 type 40 Locomobile. Two of these stock cars were stripped down by Andrew Riker, the chief engineer at Locomobile, to enter into races after the #16 car and its sister, the number #1 car, were produced at a cost of $40,000, something akin to $800,000 today, when new Locomobiles were selling for $3000. The #1 car was destroyed at the end of the 1906 Vanderbilt Cup Race and the #16 car was used for promotions but I don't believe it was entered into another race. Locomobile was a low production company and its leadership intended to keep it so. The company would need to sale a lot of cars to justify the  cost of special race cars so after the 1906 race, the two stock cars were used.

DSCF8039.JPG

I believe car numbers were issued for each race by the race promoters. The numbers on Locomobile's cars changed with each race. This may be one reason the #16 Locomobile car was never entered into another race, that and the fact that if it had lost the next race, the opportunity for publicity would have been greatly diminished.

Edited by AHa (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1