Great day for a car ride in the country

Brass is Best

Sunday was Mother's Day and also "Drive Your Old Car Day". I dusted off the '40 Packard and took the missus and Glory (also a mother) for a spin. It was Glory's first ride in the Packard and her expression says it all !

IMG_3922.JPG

Glory in Packard.JPG

• Like 13

Today, our Sandhills AACA NC Region Chapter had our monthly outing to tour the new USGA Golf House in Pinehurst, NC which recently opened in advance of the 2024 US Open in June. After the tour we had lunch at a historic cottage in the Pinehurst Village. Most members brought their AACA eligible cars. The oldest was a 1931 Franklin. Other cars were a Willy’s Jeep, an Avanti and several cars from the 60s and 70s. We took a group photo with my ‘38 Cadillac. If you were wondering, I’m the one closest to the car in the front row IMG_1550.jpeg.14eaf37e43df4e5e11c2ddd7b065371a.jpeg

• Like 15

Great photo, and your car looks beautiful and right at home in front of the clubhouse! I have never been but had a very good customer of mine that would spend a lot of time at Pinehurst. She spoke highly of the place.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Last Saturday we drove to the local Chevy Dealers for the "Rev-it Up for the Veterans" show.    Show and lunch followed by a auction with proceeds to the Veterans Groups.   We had 91

cars and trucks, a good lunch and a fun time.

I drove the unrestored 1935 Ford Pickup and was parked with the performance cars.  I was not the oldest car there either, there was a 1921 Model T and 1930 Model A and a 1936 Ford Tudor..  A few restored stock vehicles, .but mostly modified cars.

With only about 40 miles of use in the year past, it may be time to sell the Ford, but it started right up an ran great!IMG_03471.JPG.bffa4b111817962ba90d4d16758eca89.JPG

Edited by Paul Dobbin
spilling errors (see edit history)
  • Like 8

89 degrees here today.  A great day to confirm that the fixes we made to cure some vapor locking worked.  

Btw,  I can't say enough good things about a sorted 810/812 Cord.  70 MPH all day long bone stock.  Easy to shift and maneuver.  The greatest dash of all time.

From Josh B. Malks's book The Timeless Classic: “On September 16th and 17th, the Cord set a new speed record of 107.66 miles per hour for the flying mile. The run took place on a circular course of a ten-mile radius, so the two-way runs were not needed. Racing puts extraordinary pressures on vehicles designed as passenger cars. But let those who question the Cord’s reliability note that at Bonneville, Jenkins’ Cord covered nearly 2500 miles in 24 hours at an average speed of over 101 mph including stops for tires and gas. But the decision had already been made to stop Cord production.”

I believe those records stood until 1953.

IMG_4743.jpg

• Like 18

53740404354_12ef5e0bb7_c.jpg20240522_191903 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

53740073486_2879d93646_c.jpg20240522_192054 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

53740073721_5304c03c2a_c.jpg20240522_192929 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

53740073916_d7afa3e184_c.jpg20240522_193505 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

Decided to get some petro this evening. Very nice evening albeit a  bit humid. Nice little 30 mile jaunt did some big roads, back country stuff, through mainstreet USA, bustling as usual I will add, then back home. Got a wash and tucked back into the garage for the evening.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

89 degrees here today.  A great day to confirm that the fixes we made to cure some vapor locking worked.  

Btw,  I can't say enough good things about a sorted 810/812 Cord.  70 MPH all day long bone stock.  Easy to shift and maneuver.  The greatest dash of all time.

From Josh B. Malks's book The Timeless Classic: “On September 16th and 17th, the Cord set a new speed record of 107.66 miles per hour for the flying mile. The run took place on a circular course of a ten-mile radius, so the two-way runs were not needed. Racing puts extraordinary pressures on vehicles designed as passenger cars. But let those who question the Cord’s reliability note that at Bonneville, Jenkins’ Cord covered nearly 2500 miles in 24 hours at an average speed of over 101 mph including stops for tires and gas. But the decision had already been made to stop Cord production.”

I believe those records stood until 1953.

IMG_4743.jpg

I'm surprised at their records. There was a yellow one in some of my Great American Races (1990, 91 & 92) owned & Driven

by Bud Melby & Navigated by his wife Marilyn Melby.   Their car was called "Tweetie Bird".  We toyed with them a few times

with our 1935 Chrysler Airflow in the 12,000 miles, and nobody was embarrassed.   Nice car and a strong runner.   They ran

many different cars in those early Great Races, and were real competitive.

), name Tweetie Bird  

• Like 3

11 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Decided to get some petro this evening. Very nice evening albeit a  bit humid. Nice little 30 mile jaunt did some big roads, back country stuff, through mainstreet USA, bustling as usual I will add, then back home. Got a wash and tucked back into the garage for the evening.

Kerry,  does the cowl induction open up when you floor it like my 80 Z28 did?

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Where you on the way to pick up some Coors?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Kerry,  does the cowl induction open up when you floor it like my 80 Z28 did?

Shaker flap on the early cars opened but the later years it was closed and non functional. I have mine cut out (actually PO cut it out) so its open all of the time. They make kits to add a functional flap that I wanted to get at one time, its on the never ending to do list, LOL.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

The Sandhills Motoring Club had a Cars and Coffee this morning as part of their annual Memorial Day weekend Car Expo and Concours in Pinehurst, NC. The weather was perfect and I took the 38 Caddy to the C&C at the Moore  County Airport. A 20 mile round trip. Approximately 60 cars showed up. Most were 1980s and younger. Lots of Porsches, a few Mercedes SLs and Corvettes. I. Brought the oldest car. A 47 Packard was the next oldest. IMG_1553.jpeg.7e04c95317700e7564e275fcf57552f6.jpegTomorrow I’ll show the 53 Packard at the Concours in the Pinehurst Village. This Memorial Day weekend please remember the veterans and their families who paid the ultimate sacrifice in service to our nation. Also thank you to all Veterans and their families, past and present for their service

Edited by CChinn (see edit history)
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

First time I clicked on this thread. Good one. Last Saturday, May 18 was "Drive Your Woodie Day". This is an activity promoted by the National Woodie Club where members are encouraged to drive their woodie anywhere and submit a picture to the Woodie Times for publication. I'm limited to driving my 1940 Lasalle woodie station wagon around my neighborhood. This catholic church in Clark County Indiana is known locally as St. Joe Hill. 

DSCN9125.JPG

• Like 11

Two weeks ago following a local car show,  a friend came over to take me for a ride in my 1966 VW Bug.   It's a car we've owned 

for 35 years and used on many AACA Tours like the Founders Tour and Regional Tours.   Some of you will remember it because it

still sports fender skirts.   (When I was growing up; 4 on the floor, Dual Exhausts and Skirts were really cool).

Anyway, 5 years ago just before I had both knees replaced, the car got a total interior from headliner to floor mats and all new window rubber with the aluminum trim.   I drove it home and that was the last time I drove it.    For that last five years my failed new knees kept

me out if it.   I ran it occasionally, but getting in and driving was not possible.

My friend took me for a long ride and it ran like brand new.  (I could get in the passenger side where there where no pedals involved.)

Word spread how happy I was and that I would now consider selling it because I  could not drive it.

This week a guy came and bought it along with my Honda Trail 70 motorcycle, which I couldn't ride either.

A sad day in our household.

IMG_03751.JPG.fa1d9469de25086d0b87c09912999326.JPG

• Like 9

Beautiful Saturday here in the People's Republic.  High 70s and scattered clouds.   My dad was very generous with allowing his kids to drive his stuff.   I first drove this car when I was 18.   My son didn't get his chance until he was 25.   He did pretty well.   You have synchro in 2,3,4th.   Just NEVER preselect first or reverse.   Just stalled it once.

IMG_4756.jpg

IMG_4753.jpg

• Like 14

5 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Btw,  that paint was put on in 1968 in my dad's  garage at home.    Not bad at 20 feet and 20 mph.

I'm dying for you to get a pro detailer to give that car a once-over. That paint hurts me every time I see it and improving it would be so easy.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Paul Dobbin said:

Two weeks ago following a local car show,  a friend came over to take me for a ride in my 1966 VW Bug.   It's a car we've owned 

for 35 years and used on many AACA Tours like the Founders Tour and Regional Tours.   Some of you will remember it because it

still sports fender skirts.   (When I was growing up; 4 on the floor, Dual Exhausts and Skirts were really cool).

Anyway, 5 years ago just before I had both knees replaced, the car got a total interior from headliner to floor mats and all new window rubber with the aluminum trim.   I drove it home and that was the last time I drove it.    For that last five years my failed new knees kept

me out if it.   I ran it occasionally, but getting in and driving was not possible.

My friend took me for a long ride and it ran like brand new.  (I could get in the passenger side where there where no pedals involved.)

Word spread how happy I was and that I would now consider selling it because I  could not drive it.

This week a guy came and bought it along with my Honda Trail 70 motorcycle, which I couldn't ride either.

A sad day in our household.

IMG_03751.JPG.fa1d9469de25086d0b87c09912999326.JPG

Love those skirts!  Don’t think I had ever seen skirts on a bug before; gives it the Airflow look

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

I'm dying for you to get a pro detailer to give that car a once-over. That paint hurts me every time I see it and improving it would be so easy.

One problem at a time Matt. I actually wiped the whole car down with quick detailer this morning.  It probably needs a light buff.

• Like 1

Just NEVER preselect first or reverse.

OK, I'll add that to the list:

"You don't tug on Superman's cape
You don't spit into the wind
You don't pull the mask off that old Lone Ranger
And you don't mess around with Jim"

;)

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, EmTee said:

OK, I'll add that to the list:

"You don't tug on Superman's cape
You don't spit into the wind
You don't pull the mask off that old Lone Ranger
And you don't mess around with Jim"

;)

A piece of trivia.

Home Of The Mask - Oxford, Michigan Home of the Radio Lone Ranger.  Oxford, Michigan was the chosen home of Lone Ranger actor Brace Beemer. Beemer and his family resided on their ranch in Oxford for many years.

Brace Beemer was an American radio actor and announcer at radio station WXYZ, Detroit, Michigan. He is best known as the radio voice of the Lone Ranger. Wikipedia
Born: December 9, 1902, Mount Carmel, IL
Died: March 1, 1965 (age 62 years), Oxford, MI
  • Thanks 2

Beautiful Saturday here in the People's Republic.  High 70s and scattered clouds.   My dad was very generous with allowing his kids to drive his stuff.   I first drove this car when I was 18.   My son didn't get his chance until he was 25.   He did pretty well.   You have synchro in 2,3,4th.   Just NEVER preselect first or reverse.   Just stalled it once.

I too have let our offspring drive our cars. They have been driving the ones that they want to since they were starting at 16.  Our daughter and her husband in their early 30's are now touring with on HCCA tours. 

• Like 4

Melanie took me for a nice, long ride in the country in her 1966 Mustang GT convertible. We stopped for ice cream along the way, then took the long way home. What a great little car. No issues, fast, smooth, comfortable. We got that one right!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Melanie took me for a nice, long ride in the country in her 1966 Mustang GT convertible.

It sounds great -- and I love that color combination!  ;)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Old cars stink.   But we can keep that nugget to ourselves so as to not scare off any newcomers.

Getting cocky thinking I can just take our Cord out and drive all over the place no problem.  Stopped the next town over on their square which has a nice church and I like taking a picture there.    Left the car running (it runs cool now) and hopped in to speed away.   As soon as I shifted to first the car went dead.   No power.  First thought was a blew a fuse,  there are two off the ignition switch but nope.   Second thought was battery cutout shorted?   I jiggled it a few times,  no dice.   So I call the local garage that has a rollback that I love.  Told them to come get me which they were going to do until he remembered the didn't have any wheel straps, just J-hooks.  Crap.  Ok,  I have AAA premier (100 mile tow) so I'll call them and make a note to bring wheel straps.   Its automated through text messages if you have a smart phone so I scheduled a truck.

While I'm waiting I mess I check the batter cables, tight, then mess with the switch again and boom the dash lights up.   Car starts right away.   So this is 30 minutes in and I'm thinking, crap, I have a truck showing up.    Trying to cancel the tow was harder than scheduling it.  That took about 10 minutes sitting through their call tree.   At point I still had not been notified that a truck was on its way (40 minutes after requesting one).

I haven't looked yet, but either loose cables or a bad switch.   The latter seems to happen more than you would think.

IMG_4820.jpg

IMG_4819.jpg

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Old cars stink.   But we can keep that nugget to ourselves so as to not scare off any newcomers.

Getting cocky thinking I can just take our Cord out and drive all over the place no problem.  Stopped the next town over on their square which has a nice church and I like taking a picture there.    Left the car running (it runs cool now) and hopped in to speed away.   As soon as I shifted to first the car went dead.   No power.  First thought was a blew a fuse,  there are two off the ignition switch but nope.   Second thought was battery cutout shorted?   I jiggled it a few times,  no dice.   So I call the local garage that has a rollback that I love.  Told them to come get me which they were going to do until he remembered the didn't have any wheel straps, just J-hooks.  Crap.  Ok,  I have AAA premier (100 mile tow) so I'll call them and make a note to bring wheel straps.   Its automated through text messages if you have a smart phone so I scheduled a truck.

While I'm waiting I mess I check the batter cables, tight, then mess with the switch again and boom the dash lights up.   Car starts right away.   So this is 30 minutes in and I'm thinking, crap, I have a truck showing up.    Trying to cancel the tow was harder than scheduling it.  That took about 10 minutes sitting through their call tree.   At point I still had not been notified that a truck was on its way (40 minutes after requesting one).

I haven't looked yet, but either loose cables or a bad switch.   The latter seems to happen more than you would think.

IMG_4820.jpg

IMG_4819.jpg

There really is something seriously wrong with all of us.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

35 minutes ago, alsancle said:

IMG_4820.jpg

IMG_4819.jpg

You are getting so close to having a sorted car that you will be able to take any place you want. Stay the course.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Brass is Best said:

You are getting so close to having a sorted car that you will be able to take any place you want. Stay the course.

I started this little project three years ago. I’ve got hundreds of hours of my own time, and lots and lots of professional help. Along with a huge amount of support from the cord guys. I have to admit, that this morning’s little episode took some wind out of my sails. I had gone about 200 miles in the last two weeks with no issues. And really have fallen in love with these cars. But I understand it’s just the way it goes…

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

IMG_4820.jpg

IMG_4819.jpg

Pain.jpg.35843b82200af68a71a1a952b7bf90f9.jpg

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

AJ, the picture looks good!

I have premium AAA as well. The 2 times I tried to use, it was no good! Once for a stupid reason the other because I didnt have the rv endorsement (which by the way, this past weekend was the one anniversary of my trailer break down adventure picking up my sons GTO). I still keep the bill paid though. One of those that you think is nice to have but dont want to use it.

5 hours ago, alsancle said:

IMG_4820.jpg

IMG_4819.jpg

Were you hoping that taking pictures of the Cord in front of the Church would help you shake the evil spirits out of the car? 

You should try taking the ignition switch apart and cleaning the contacts. Any corrosion in there would rob you of voltage that those cars need to run properly. Maybe loose wires in the ignition circuit? Do you have plenty of ground wires on the car?

I am standing firm on my earlier comments about Cords being the most bipolar car ever. Do they sell voodoo doll key chains??

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Tph479 said:

Were you hoping that taking pictures of the Cord in front of the Church would help you shake the evil spirits out of the car? 

You should try taking the ignition switch apart and cleaning the contacts. Any corrosion in there would rob you of voltage that those cars need to run properly. Maybe loose wires in the ignition circuit? Do you have plenty of ground wires on the car?

I am standing firm on my earlier comments about Cords being the most bipolar car ever. Do they sell voodoo doll key chains??

That is good advice but I'm 95% sure it is in the cutout switch.  I'll update when I figure it out.  I can't count the number of times now I've seen or heard of a bad cutout.

• Like 1

Or the issue I had with the 30 A when I first got it where the negative battery cable kept coming loose so it would visually seem OK on the post but in reality poor/no ground.   A simple lock washer provided a permanent fix...