Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

13 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Isn't the pecking order on Continentals from oldest to youngest?  I think this is the 39 prototype.

lincoln_zephyr_continental_mark_i_prototype_2.jpg.fd3491a46b8041bedebac1994df321d9.jpg

I don't believe it was a prototype. It was a special 'one-off' for Edsel Ford.  So many inquired if it was a new model that was coming out, which convinced Ford to put it into production.

Craig

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 8E45E said:

I don't believe it was a prototype. It was a special 'one-off' for Edsel Ford.  So many inquired if it was a new model that was coming out, which convinced Ford to put it into production.

Craig

Yes and it leaked like a sieve and had structure across the front cowl area inside the car. It was destroyed when it came back to the plant from Florida. The new production Lincoln Zepher Continental had a shorter front hood/fender design.

Edited by hook
left out (see edit history)
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, alsancle said:

Isn't the pecking order on Continentals from oldest to youngest?  I think this is the 39 prototype.

lincoln_zephyr_continental_mark_i_prototype_2.jpg.fd3491a46b8041bedebac1994df321d9.jpg

A.J.:

For the most part, yes, oldest to youngest.  The 1940-'41 cars are purest, truest to the original design concept which is this one which was to be only a one-off special Lincoln-Zephyr convertible for Edsel Ford's Florida vacation during March 1939.  It was the enthusiastic response from his social contemporaries that motivated the creation of the second car (below) which is considered the engineering prototype.  Edsel, being the sharp 'car guy' he was, quickly saw the potential to institute a special semi-custom Lincoln-Zephyr based convertible to keep a presence in the luxury car segment as the Lincoln K wound to a close.  The availability of Lincoln body shop craftsmen to construct the cars was the other critical asset necessary.  Had costly low-volume tooling been necessary, it's unlikely the old man would have approved it. 

Steve

Addendum: this second car is four inches shorter in the hood and front fenders than the first one.  Both were built on convertible sedan chassis.

1939_Lincoln_Continental_prototype.jpg

Edited by 58L-Y8
addendum comments (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, JRA said:

Could it be a 1929 Plymouth?

No, because the Plymouth has external hinges, among other differences. Photo of my car from June 2014.  In the left background of this photo is a 1928 Hudson which has the same type of door hinges as the Essex.

IMG_0863 (2) resize and crop.JPG

• Like 2

A nice one from Whangarei, New Zealand, circa 1920. The touring car with its top down is a four cylinder Buick, I think. The one with its top up is fortuitously reflected in the shop window and might be an Austin or Sunbeam from just pre-WW1. Most heavy transport was still by horse then but that changed rapidly during the 1920s.

Whangarei c 20.jpg

• Like 4