Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

6 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

image.png.d3a12f273603e180193214350b6bf42f.png

This photo was taken at the temporary assembly plant set up at the San Francisco Exposition in 1915. One could order their new Ford, then watch as it was assembled at the plant! 

I have had a copy of this photo for some years now, and it is one of my favorite era photos of 1915 Fords, for a silly detail reason. For many years, hobbyists believed that all 1914 and earlier model T Fords had four rivet bracket front fenders. And they believed that all 1915 models originally had the three rivet bracket front fenders. The belief was that the transition between the model years was quick and simple like they expect most year model transitions to be. However, the transition from the earlier style 1914 bodies to the only slightly newer style cowling body used in 1915 through the mid 1920s (with minor changes), was not smooth nor quick and simple. Stamping the slightly more complicated body panels resulted in major delays. This in turn resulted major production of the 1915 style open body cars being delayed until basically January of 1915 rather than beginning about September of the previous year. In addition to the delay in the start of production, ramping up production was slow. This resulted in Ford producing the 1914 style open cars into April of 1915!

In the early days of our hobby, tricky memories and era records didn't really cover that part of the history of the 1914 to 1915 transition. Hobbyists didn't know about the odd fenders not mentioned in parts books or records. The odd fenders had the style, beads and front bill of 1915, but the four rivet bracket from 1914 and earlier. What I was told over and over again was that the odd fenders were non-Ford replacement fenders. But that didn't make sense to me. There were just too many of them! And most of them were on very late production 1914s, or very early production 1915s.

Eventually, researchers did find out and nail down the long transition, and it became accepted that the transition fenders were in fact correct for Fords built during those months and even as late as June of 1915.

I look very closely at more era photos than almost anybody else! I am always looking for those little tidbits of history to be found in them. I have looked at many hundred era photos of 1915/'16 model Ts. It is very rare for such photos to be at an angle and have enough clarity of detail to clearly show how many rivets are on the top of the front fenders. This picture is one of those very few. High enough angle, large format camera, and both front fenders clearly show the four rivets!

I love that photo!

An aside, not all, but I suspect many of the racing photos that follow this picture's original posting above were of races held in conjunction with the San Francisco Exposition that year. Special races and events were held all around the area of the Exposition, even a road race. Races were held at several venues in the area. I know a couple of these photos I have seen before, and they were identified as being in conjunction with the Exposition. However, because I don't recall the details well enough, I won't make any guesses which could be wrong for any individual photos. One of the venues I should know, but it has been bugging me for a couple days now since I saw another photo of some of these same cars, likely taken at the same track. (IF it jumps into my head or I figure the right search words, I will edit and add it . Otherwise I hope someone else can recall it and post the information so that I can stop torturing myself!)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

One old racer that is extant - in New Zealand, where it had a very successful racing career in the 1920s.

Southward Car Museum (Paraparaumu, New Zealand): Top Tips Before You Go ...

I wonder why they added a bolt to the frame rail. In the old photo there are two bolts below the S & T. In the new photo there are three.

On 1/19/2023 at 2:02 AM, MetroPetro said:

1634BEA2-9CF9-4092-9324-42BC438A697F.jpeg

Looks like a high desert gulley washer! My dad grew up in Nevada high desert cattle country during the depression. Locals all knew areas that one should not put anything permanent. They don't get a lot of rain often. But every thirty or forty years or so, sometimes fifty miles away, one of those gulley washers dumps tons of rain in a couple hours. People that know those areas, know the signs. Trails in the sand, alkali stains, spots only ever so slightly lower than the surrounding areas, every few decades one of those heavy rains dump in the distant mountains and the water rushes though its favorite path of least resistance on its way to a distant river. The only warning might have been a distant echo of thunder an hour earlier. By the time one sees the water rushing toward him, it is too late to run! 

A few minutes later, the water settles down to a shallow wide stream which takes hours to disappear.

• Like 1

Scenes from Arizona history

Early mail delivery

8b24582v.jpg

Guarding a Copper Mine

8d29289v.jpg

A local go getter in Saint Johns proudly showing off his display daily

8a26861v.jpg

8a26860v.jpg

Early linesmen in a small town and supplies on truck

8a28368v.jpg

8a28376v.jpg

Some parts still haul water to remote areas, not like this though...

8b24697v.jpg

8b38140v.jpg

OK BOYS & GIRLS...........this should redefine this entire thread............Beverly Hills 1935..........doesn't get any better than this..........

Do yourself a favor........click and watch the ENTIRE thing. The gas stations are just fantastic.

https://archive.org/details/56DF_40030-414_A_LA

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

Looks like a high desert gulley washer! My dad grew up in Nevada high desert cattle country during the depression. Locals all knew areas that one should not put anything permanent. They don't get a lot of rain often. But every thirty or forty years or so, sometimes fifty miles away, one of those gulley washers dumps tons of rain in a couple hours. People that know those areas, know the signs. Trails in the sand, alkali stains, spots only ever so slightly lower than the surrounding areas, every few decades one of those heavy rains dump in the distant mountains and the water rushes though its favorite path of least resistance on its way to a distant river. The only warning might have been a distant echo of thunder an hour earlier. By the time one sees the water rushing toward him, it is too late to run! 

A few minutes later, the water settles down to a shallow wide stream which takes hours to disappear.

The mud is clay silt and is a sticky mess that won't dry for a week. Shoes will pickup a pound or more and doesn't wash off easily. 

18 hours ago, keiser31 said:

I wonder why they added a bolt to the frame rail. In the old photo there are two bolts below the S & T. In the new photo there are three.

It had a fairly hard life even after it ended its racing days - spending some time as a farm tractor. Just exactly how much of the original is left I am not sure. I know it had a new bronze crankcase cast in NZ after it threw a roid back in the 1920s.