Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

48 minutes ago, George K said:

Ouch! Somebody was drunk when they looked at a paint chart. Even if it’s right it’s wrong.

Factory color, as delivered.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, George K said:

Ay caramba. Art department must of been going through a pastel period.

I’ll confess to being a purist. That said, I would never paint that car that color regardless of its history and provenance. Even for a museum display………it makes no sense. Maybe it was an anti theft device?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

I’ll confess to being a purist. That said, I would never paint that car that color regardless of its history and provenance. Even for a museum display………it makes no sense. Maybe it was an anti theft device?

I'm also a purist.  I just simply wouldn't buy it, period!  

Craig

• Like 1

I know the image quality isn't great on these but here are a few more.  All from My hometown.  This was the other big garage in town.  There was actually a third as well,  though I have no photos of it,  however I did get the engine crane and an early 50's Coke machine out of it,  before they demoed it back in the mid 90's.

thumbnail-6.jpeg

thumbnail-7.jpeg

thumbnail-8.jpeg

thumbnail-9.jpeg

• Like 3

Anyone have any idea where the Maxwell dealership building is/was that has just been pictured. It is mentioned it was in New York - where in NY? Has to be a major city . I would love to know if that building still stands ( probably not  - due to PROGRESS)  I love architecture as much as I do old cars.

This gas station was about 1/2 mile up the road from the one I posted above.  The gas station is gone,  I think they moved the building and turned it into a cottage,  but eh big house is still there in fine condition.  The house prominently next to the Long Lake garage is also still there and in fine shape. 

You really have to look,  but there is a big cast aluminum flashing light in the intersection of the photos with just the gas pump.  I have that out in the garage.   

That intersection was reconstructed years before i was born and the light removed.  My Dad found it stored somewhere around town. 

thumbnail-12.jpeg

thumbnail-14.jpeg

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Anyone have any idea where the Maxwell dealership building is/was that has just been pictured. It is mentioned it was in New York - where in NY? Has to be a major city . I would love to know if that building still stands ( probably not  - due to PROGRESS)  I love architecture as much as I do old cars.

Walt, from Google books search it appears it used to be at 1808 Broadway in New York City. I don't think it survives.

Howard Dennis

Thanks Howard

I am not surprised at the location "in the era". It was Columbus Circle at the 59th street area where it meets Broadway.  that whole area was auto dealerships pre war. The  Franklin  cars had a dealership there as well I have period photos of and knew the sons owner as well as people who worked there in the service dept.  a few blocks north at 61st street and Broadway was the main Packard dealer for NY.

Some great buildings that housed dealerships originally still stand. Most current tenants have no clue what was there when the building was new or fairly new. The building that had the Hispano Suiza dealership , Rollston coach works all still survive in tack. As I have mentioned here someplace on the forums I hope to do a walking tour of NY City ( not the whole place but in certain sections) to see the structures that housed the dealerships of our favorite ( now obscure) cars.

Walt

• Like 2

13 hours ago, edinmass said:

Ed can you please post some period black and white photos of this J "as delivered" should help the next owner with the future restoration. 

5 hours ago, Walt G said:

Thanks Howard

I am not surprised at the location "in the era". It was Columbus Circle at the 59th street area where it meets Broadway.  that whole area was auto dealerships pre war. The  Franklin  cars had a dealership there as well I have period photos of and knew the sons owner as well as people who worked there in the service dept.  a few blocks north at 61st street and Broadway was the main Packard dealer for NY.

Some great buildings that housed dealerships originally still stand. Most current tenants have no clue what was there when the building was new or fairly new. The building that had the Hispano Suiza dealership , Rollston coach works all still survive in tack. As I have mentioned here someplace on the forums I hope to do a walking tour of NY City ( not the whole place but in certain sections) to see the structures that housed the dealerships of our favorite ( now obscure) cars.

Walt

Walt, I rarely venture into NYC but do remember seeing ZUMBACH on a building, is it the same building that produced this car on the West Side? Bob 

post-58582-143138774016_thumb.jpg

31 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Ed can you please post some period black and white photos of this J "as delivered" should help the next owner with the future restoration. 

Photo is posted on the previous page….

• Thanks 1

Bob

Most of the service garages for the car dealers in NY City were on the west side along 11th avenue south of 59th street. I may have information on Zumbach's but need to look it up as it is not immediately handy to do so.

Walt

• Like 1

When we think of custom body work and high performance cars New York City isn't the first town that comes to mind. All the high skilled people  from Europe stepped off the boat there 1900-1920 so back then it was perfectly normal thinking. The Gold Coast was on both shores of Long Island Sound. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

New York City was the closest deep water port to have ocean liners that would have the larger horsepower European cars in the hold of the ship for its journey from Europe to the USA. there was significant rail service from NY City west and south as well. That is how cars were delivered - by rail in boxcars chained to the floor of the freight car. There was no interstate highway system as we know it now -- that didn't happen until the Eisenhower administration post WWII.

Yes, there were "major" state roadways - the former trails used for horse and wagon , and once paved for auto traffic it was two lanes - one each way.

The major European car manufacturers all had dealerships and service shops in NY City - Minerva, R-R, Isotta Fraschini, Renault, Bentley, Mercedes, then Mercedes - Benz, Fiat ( who even built a factory in the USA to have production)  etc.

All advertised in the souvenir programs of the custom body salons held each Fall in New York. I have most of the original programs , it is amazing what you could buy if you had enough $. Many wealthy Americans would travel to Europe for the "grand tour" buy a car there and then have it shipped back to the USA on the ocean liner they traveled on. Most likely a chauffeur hired in Europe to drive them around was also brought back and then took up residence in the USA. Mechanics to work on the cars came to reside in the USA as they already had jobs with the dealerships. To get the story of the cars you need to look at the board picture of the whole scene but also need the resources of that era in period material to do so properly and in perspective,  I started collecting this kind of stuff in the early 1960s when my classmates were all going to junior high school sports games .

• Like 1

20 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

I know the image quality isn't great on these but here are a few more.  All from My hometown.  This was the other big garage in town.  There was actually a third as well,  though I have no photos of it,  however I did get the engine crane and an early 50's Coke machine out of it,  before they demoed it back in the mid 90's.

thumbnail-6.jpeg

thumbnail-7.jpeg

thumbnail-8.jpeg

thumbnail-9.jpeg

Looks like he also delt in Buicks.

On 12/6/2022 at 10:59 PM, edinmass said:

Factory color, as delivered.

I probably mentioned this somewhere before, but I understand there was someone in the LA Duesenberg dealership who was partial to that yellow over green color scheme. Evidently J-111 was also painted a similar color combination when new. Wisely, when the Gilmore Car Museum restored the car they elected to change the colors to blue. I doubt anyone would argue it was an improvement. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Thank you for the great 1904 Model B Ford photo AND Cleanup, looked like the frame horns were bent so I went to Google and found out there must have been early and late frames, note the front crossmember difference. Think there are a total of 6 or less survivors. Bob 

R (6).jpg

OIP (2).jpg

fom1.0.jpg

Is this the one that was formerly in the Towe Museum?

10tm042.jpg

A circa 1910 photo from Chile. Various aspects of the car look rather odd, as if it has been custom-built. Candidate photo for 58L-Y8 to clean up.

The radiator and hood remind me of 1906 Rolls-Royce 30 hp, but the rest doesn't match.

Looks to be a chassis strengthening girder visible underneath.

May be an image of outdoors

My sincere thanks to all of you who have contributed to this thread and it is indeed an amazing achievement to see over 500,000 people have viewed this in less then 3 years since it was started in March of 2020. I guess the interest in pre WWII era vehicles is still strong worldwide.  I have to admit I must have looked here at least 100 times just to see what was new in old photos and images and see if all was well too.

Biggest thanks and appreciation to AACA and the moderators for keeping this going as smooth and as slick as possible.  It proves that AACA is the renown organization of sharing and preserving automotive history . Join AACA if you have not yet done so, or send in your renewal now. Look at what they are providing to/for  you.

Walt

• Like 11

20 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

A circa 1910 photo from Chile. Various aspects of the car look rather odd, as if it has been custom-built. Candidate photo for 58L-Y8 to clean up.

The radiator and hood remind me of 1906 Rolls-Royce 30 hp, but the rest doesn't match.

Looks to be a chassis strengthening girder visible underneath.

May be an image of outdoors

There is something odd about how small the people look in comparison to the car, possibly something related to the photography.  The wheels don't even appear to be in the same plane.

On 12/7/2022 at 8:20 PM, 1937hd45 said:

It will never be restored. It’s one of the last unmolested Model J’s. Photos are not mine to publish. There are early photos in Elbert’s book. It’s a wonderful machine. And now so ridiculously expensive that it’s a miracle the current owner drives it as a regular car. I have well over 5k behind the windshield in more places that you can mention. Truly an American treasure. I sure miss it……….

• Like 1