Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

A sheet held up in the back of a car for photographs was used as a regular "prop" up until at least WWII. This was especially in favor at the salons and motor shows in Europe and England. It also helped with the ghost appearances of people walking some distance behind the car as the use of glass plate negatives was prevalent and the exposure time was much longer. The photo could then be used in sales literature as well so nothing in the back ground of the car would let the viewer loose focus, and it saved an artist from using and air brush or a brush to paint out any distractions. All done by hand before computers.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Walt G said:

A sheet held up in the back of a car for photographs was used as a regular "prop" up until at least WWII. This was especially in favor at the salons and motor shows in Europe and England. It also helped with the ghost appearances of people walking some distance behind the car as the use of glass plate negatives was prevalent and the exposure time was much longer. The photo could then be used in sales literature as well so nothing in the back ground of the car would let the viewer loose focus, and it saved an artist from using and air brush or a brush to paint out any distractions. All done by hand before computers.

A major part of my wife's family heritage was in a small out of the way lumber town 90 to over 120 years ago! We found a rare original photograph of the town about forty years ago in an antique shop. The photo was in terrible condition, folded, torn, with small pieces missing. I had a large format negative made of the photo, had it blown way up in size, then by hand and ink drew in all the missing pieces! We then had copies made for family members. 

My first hand experience with "photoshop" before computers.

Most people today just don't realize about such things!

• Like 1

The Hepburn  Bugatti was maintained by the LA Bugatti dealer Overton "Bunny" Phillips. When Mr. Phillips decided to race in the INDY 500 AAA would not allow his car to use the Bugatti alloy wheels that were so common on the GP cars. He used the wheels from the Hepburn car along with the brakes and backing plates. The Bugatti received a MILLER V8 and streamlined body in later years. Both cars are now restored and have graced the lawn at Pebble Beach

R (10).jpg

R (24).jpg

R (12).jpg

6.jpg

R (11).jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The rail link between the east and West Coasts of New Zealand's South Island was not completed until 1923 when the five-mile long Otira tunnel was opened. At the time it was one of the longest tunnels in the world. The railway reached Arthur's Pass township - then known as Bealey Flats - on the eastern side and Otira on the western side by 1914 and until then travelers had to travel between the railheads by coach over the potentially treacherous Arthur's Pass.

Arthur's Pass (mountain pass) - Wikipedia

Arthur's Pass - Wikipedia

Midland Railway | Engineering NZ

Otira Tunnel - Wikipedia

The first two photos date from 1913 and 1914, and the other two from circa 1921. As far as I know horse drawn coaches were the only transport used. I don't think there were any suitable motorised vehicles available. As it was the men were usually expected to walk over the Pass.

The worst part of the zig-zag on the Otira side, which due to unstable nature of the terrain required constant maintenance, was bypassed by a new bridge in the 1990.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

2013 Otira Gorge 40325424_10156846965780229_7605139569310171136_o.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

No idea of the vehicle make, or the photo date. I am guessing that outside wheel is a parking brake - or maybe that is THE brake. The guy on the roof appears to be reading a cycling newspaper.

May be an image of 2 people and outdoors

That's an electric delivery van designed by Camille Jenatzy and built by Compagnie Générale des Transportes Automobiles.

The photo was taken by Jules Beau during the second annual Concours des Fiacres in Paris which ran from the 1st to the 9th of June 1899. The car has electric braking using the dual electric drive motors along with two types of mechanical brake, band brakes operating on the chain drive pinions and also shoes that operate directly on the rear tyres (visible at 9 o'clock on the back wheel). I'm pretty sure it's Jenatzy in the driver's seat and his wife next to him (right hand drive). The photo of La Jamais Contente shows him with his wife sitting on the back of the car.

The article is from Le Genie Civil 24th June 1899.

Jenatzy voiture de livraison.jpg

La Genie Civil 1.jpg

La Genie Civil 2.jpg

Red Devil.jpg

Jenatsky.jpg

Edited by Jorge Amado (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 11/14/2022 at 8:54 PM, 58L-Y8 said:

This turned up on a "Curbside Classics" website feature, a postcard of the L.F. Jacod & Co. Chrysler-Plymouth Used Car Lot, Englewood, NJ, ca 1937.

That Packard isn’t just any production model, it’s a 1931 Packard Deluxe Eight 845 Newport Sport Sedan by Dietrich. It is an early 3-box sedan configuration with the passenger compartment forward of the rear axle plane and a coupe-style trunk integrated into the main body. It is the same body architecture as the Duesenberg J Arlington sedan by Rollston (The Twenty Grand). Three examples of the 1931 Packard 845 Newport Sport Sedan are still extant.

Added a more current image of a 1931 Packard 845 Newport Sport Sedan by Dietrich for reference.

L.F. Jacod Used Car  Lot - Englewood, NY ca 1937.png

'31 Packard 845 Newport Sport Sedan by Dietrich.jpg

And here it is in August…….

3159F289-0F7D-4D40-B83B-6B2877B2909A.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, twin6 said:

Does anyone know what the panel is that's across the top of the firewall? 

8.jpg

Best guess, a mount for a big flat windshield. Can’t imagine any other reason for it.

• Like 4

On 11/20/2022 at 11:54 AM, twin6 said:

nyrr.jpg

What a great photo. That is a pre-WWI Ghost, probably 1910, 11, 12 that has been updated with a new body, Judging from the lights and the barrel sides, I'd guess its an English body. Notice the wooden wheels. I've seen those on a few pictures of pre-WWI cars but never later. Also, the demountable rim holding the spare tire is a feature never seen on the American cars.

12 hours ago, edinmass said:

Please name the body builder.

Body builder is Van Den Plas in Europe - Belgium not England. I have several other photos of the same car taken at the same location.

To add more information regarding the 1932 Studebaker photos with Laurel & Hardy that were posted by Twin Six and another by Larry - In 1932 Studebaker in their factory dealer binder there was a section (62 pages) on selling features and people who posed with the new Studebaker  from Hollywood were actress Helen Twelvetrees, and the cast of the Our Gang movies ( also a product of the Hal Roach studios).

• Like 2