Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

34 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Young Herman C. Brunn spent some time working in France at Henri Binder to broaden this coachbuilding training and experience before returning to join Brunn as their designer.  His deft handling of the sweep panel design was one of the benefits of that training.

I believe the correct nomenclature is “sweep spear” and written by Brunn in an article in the 70’s. I don’t remember where it appeared. Anyone know the article?

Ed: Sounds familiar, though I don't recall the name of the article either.  I do recall Hugo Pfau writings referring to the C-shaped low relief panel as the "LeBaron Sweep Panel".  Elegant design success has many fathers willing to take credit...  Whatever the term, it certainly enlivens a design.

Edited by 58L-Y8 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

This photo of a Willys-Overland was posted earlier.  It appears to be a taxi model, suggested by the equipment on the roof.  The object at center-front on the roof appears to be what a TAXI sign should look like.

Willys-Overland Used Car lot cropped 05-05.jpg

• Like 1

Mullins made the trailer, kitchen cabinets, and fenders for many of the smaller independents........Pierce Arrow was one of their customers for years.

1CB2560D-DFE0-476D-BF72-0AC5F53205D5.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/6/2021 at 10:34 PM, 30DodgePanel said:

RESIZE Packard Factory entrance

1936 Packard at the Packard Proving Grounds 1 NAHC RESIZED

The Packard bridge fell down a couple of years ago. 

The second picture at the Packard proving grounds still has the buildings to the right of the guard shack there, the area to the left of the guard shack where the track is has been sold off and is now a subdivision full of houses.   There is also an Amazon distribution center on part of the property.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/The+Packard+Proving+Grounds+Historic+Site/@42.6620214,-83.0510925,2197m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x8824e782a9e26c7f:0x413ed5082c919ce9!8m2!3d42.6618952!4d-83.0352299

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the information Larry. I believe in the buildings to the right of the guard shack there is a historical display of Packard material? I visited here several years ago when I was still a member of the CCCA and attended their annual meeting. In the buildings to the right there should be a display of hundreds of Packard VIN tag plates that are part of the collection of Jim Balfour who is a great Packard guy and friend. WOrth the trip to see.

• Like 1

ED, that photo of the bi plane and the damsels taking a dip , reminds me of the Swatara Creek just north of Hershey Park Drive that crosses under Rt. 30 . Hummmm it would be a bit brisk to do that in the creek when the annual Fall meet is underway but I am sure would draw a crowd of vintage vehicle enthusiasts and the gals perhaps would be as photogenically appealing as the cars would be.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Bob, the L29 Cord I believe has a Weyman fabric body, and I think survived and was on the cover of the AACA magazine many years ago (?) in restored condition. Car may now reside in a collection in Europe.  Perhaps this was the car owned in the 1950s by Herbert Lozier of Brooklyn ( then of Huntington, L.I. ) who was an author ( did a book on M-B) and builder of scratch built models . I have/own his pre WWII  period photograph collection ( of cars on display at the London and Paris motor shows) I bought from him many many decades ago as well as a great huge scratch built 1925-27 Packard touring car he made. I will try to look all this up to share here when I complete other commitments for research and stories I have made.  Just not enough hours in the day to get all I want done.  Since the pandemic many car enthusiasts are starved for something interesting to read or look at that they haven't seen before because we all can't attend car shows, cruise nights, club meetings ( local and national) etc . It is why I started this thread on period Images to keep everyone's interest somewhat satisfied . In exactly 2 months this thread will be a year old!

Walt

PS the sedan I believe is a Jordan Speedway series car.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes, the 1930 Jordan Speedway Model Z Sportman sedan.  More progressive design details, features and nascent 3-box sedan proportions in one group of twelve hand-built cars by a dying company than found or presented elsewhere at the time.  Worst of all, none survive and the author of that stunning design concept is lost to history.

'30 Jordan Speedway Z Sportsman b.png

'30 Jordan Speedway Z Sportsman Sedan three-quarter rear.jpg

Edited by 58L-Y8
And 'or' and 3/4 rear view (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

twin6,

I love that "snake horn"! I don't see many of those in era photographs. I have probably seen as many of them on restored cars myself than in original era photos. 

1937hd45, Bob,

I don't think I ever saw a 'cross engine' Franklin quite like that one before! Looks like a home-brew sedan of sorts. I knew a fellow that owned and restored a couple of those many years ago. Not many were built before 1905, but as I recall, one of his was. Another of his was a 1906. He loved the thing, but was annoyed that it was so underpowered it made a lousy tour car. West coast one and two cylinder groups would not allow him to participate in their tours with it, and it couldn't keep up with anything else. He had maybe eight to ten Franklins, ranging from 1904 into the late 1920s (his 1915 was beautiful!). He had a few other interesting cars as well, including a two cylinder that he did use on 1&2 tours.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Yes, the 1930 Jordan Speedway Model Z Sportman sedan.  More progressive design details, features and nascent 3-box sedan proportions in one group of twelve hand-built cars by a dying company than found or presented elsewhere at the time.  Worst of all, none survive and the author of that stunning design concept is lost to history.

'30 Jordan Speedway Z Sportsman b.png

'30 Jordan Speedway Z Sportsman Sedan three-quarter rear.jpg

Those 'no-clog' running boards would perhaps be more fitting on a truck. 

They'll be perfect for someone wearing workboots on a construction site, but not for a lady wearing high heels.

Craig 

Bob again,

Interesting! I think that is the earliest photo I have seen of clamp on steel wheeled sidewalk skates! Roller skating actually goes way back into the late 1800s. One of Charlie Chaplin's most famous EARLY films largely takes place in a roller rink, and ends up outside (the Rink, 1916). Roller rink wheels in those days were wood. Somewhere amongst all my junk is a very nice very old pair of wooden wheeled roller rink shoe skates. I don't know the true age of them, however the patent dates are all early 1900s.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

Those 'no-clog' running boards would perhaps be more fitting on a truck. 

They'll be perfect for someone wearing workboots on a construction site, but not for a lady wearing high heels.

Craig 

I agree with Craig.......interesting design, but far from attractive or important in the world of automobiles. It’s a great example of one off coachwork that if still in existence it would get an automatic spot on the 18th green at Pebble. The bigger question is would it or could it win? I think it would suffer defeat in the CCCA Closed class. Unusual does not equal iconic.