Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

Just now, John_Mereness said:

The only fault is that they should have done something design wise to better match the front door lower corner to the back door and/or to the hood slope line 

Only the front door cut and the hood cut lines aren't coordinated.  I suspect that was to allow the vent hood, but other than that, its a magnificent, advanced design mystery.

• Like 1

The front seat passengers - have a few of you here ever been for a ride in a car of this era in that fold down front seat type? I have for a fair amount of miles in a Stevens-Duryea of similar vintage. It was when I was over about 15 years ago to Wales to visit Mike Worthington-Williams and family. Mike and I sharing the enthusiasm and ability to research and write - the Stevens -Duryea was owned by a friend of Mikes who took us for a great ride on a gloomy overcast day ( the usual weather coming off the Atlantic Ocean in that part of the world)  . Not much to hold on to and no seat belts of course, but great experience and fun. Yes, it was a bit of a white knuckle , open eyed ride ( I wore glasses full time then so didn't get any bugs in my eyes) . Once back in modern transportation we stopped at "Nellies" pub in town for several adult beverages to regain our fortitude after a excellent motoring experience in a pre War ( WWI that is) motor car.  AH Horseless Carriages - you just have to love them.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Yes! I was drawing a blank on the Stutz Weymann Monte Carlo when I was thinking about custom-bodied contemporaries to the Jordan Speedway Z Sportsman.  Thanks! 

There are a couple of other ones too.   The M version of the Weymann may have the lowest greenhouse,  but they were all Zapron as far as I know (with aluminum not being an option until the DV32).

image.thumb.jpeg.589fd368dd7612e085963b0369ebf7e0.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

Notice this 1929 or 1930 Packard is not only custom bodied, though has a 1932 upgrade to grill, lights, and bumpers (and a great mascot too)

OK.....let’s separate the men from the boys....someone post a picture of Gilmore! 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, alsancle said:

sort of.

8FEBAA75-F1CB-4B29-B3CE-C62BDE3076E1.jpeg

Pry  your wallet open with a crow bar.......(terrible screeching noise like metal on metal!) and finish that thing. The Stearns is going into top gear in the next few days.....SEND THE BENJAMINS!!!   I’m feeling kind a lonely........ And I need some company, 😏

Snarky comment brought to you by lack of sleep and Myers Dark rum..........”good stuff!”, and at this time of the day, good enough!

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, twin6 said:

NY 1927.jpg

This car, or it’s twin is sitting quietly in a garage where it hasn’t been disturbed for 60 years........except by yours truly trying to buy it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

http://triplettracehistory.blogspot.com/2019/12/roscoe-turners-1929-packard-while.html

In early 1929, Turner and his first wife, Carline, used the proceeds from his Hughes movie work to purchase this Packard from Douglas M. Longyear’s dealership Hollywood Motors Inc.  The car is identified as a ‘6-40’ which identifies it as the sixth series of Packard production built on a 140-inch wheelbase chassis. The car is fitted with a catalog #341 dual-cowl phaeton five-passenger body which means the car features no side windows but has a second cowl and windshield for rear seat passengers that was built by the Holbrook Company of New York.   

roscoe%2Btony%2Band%2Bgilmore.jpg

This photo courtesy of the IUPUI University Center for Digital Scholarship

Indianapolis Motor Speedway Collection shows left to right

Roscoe Turner, Madonna Turner, Mary Fendrich Hulman

and Anton "Tony" Hulman gathered around the stuffed lion "Gilmore"

Roscoe%2BTurner%2Bwith%2Btrophies.jpg

Roscoe with the Packard 6-40 and the three major US aviation trophies

that he won in his career. On the left the Thompson Trophy,

the center is the Harmon Trophy and at right is the Bendix Trophy

9 minutes ago, twin6 said:

1915 trg.jpg

A 1915 or 1916 with a similar but not identical body......and a different frame/chassis. I believe the car above is on a 124 inch wheel base, my car is on 138. The above car is probably a 4-45 model.......but there were many running changes that make things hard to ID. Great photo!

• Like 1