What are you working on right now?

1 minute ago, JV Puleo said:

I like your screw jack. I have about six of those in different sizes. I feel a lot safer using them than I do with hydraulic bottle jacks.

That’s actually a jack that was my wife’s grandfather's I restored. I have a big hydraulic bottle jack that’s heavier and seemed overkill. I do have a model T jack that seemed a little to light. That one worked perfectly 

Another year and another clean bill of health from the State boiler inspector. As usual we had a wonderful visit with Greg and we greatly appreciate his professionalism and knowledge - great day spent with good people! If only visits to the local DMV were this pleasant!

The only surprise we had was finding an illicit stash of acorns on top of the crown sheet. Apparently the blowdown valve had been left open and a critter decided to take advantage of it.

next task is washing out the boiler and buttoning it all back up. 

IMG_2697_Original.jpeg.4e9231061be03169a22fda072f6ba5b4.jpeg

IMG_2713_Original.jpeg.5f19c833a47663183a2fff16663537d1.jpeg

IMG_2709_Original.jpeg.e83730b0b15063c630431f250c8cb662.jpeg

IMG_2707_Original.jpeg.be42e33cbdc96c9e697e95ab46941d73.jpeg

IMG_2701_Original.jpeg.fa08de153d9d7e4662d9bace6bbff7d0.jpeg

IMG_2702_Original.jpeg.d246873caebf8e1c77ffa67557659dfe.jpeg

IMG_2720_Original.jpeg

• Like 12

23 minutes ago, Terry Harper said:

Another year and another clean bill of health from the State boiler inspector. As usual we had a wonderful visit with Greg and we greatly appreciate his professionalism and knowledge - great day spent with good people! If only visits to the local DMV were this pleasant!

The only surprise we had was finding an illicit stash of acorns on top of the crown sheet. Apparently the blowdown valve had been left open and a critter decided to take advantage of it.

next task is washing out the boiler and buttoning it all back up. 

IMG_2697_Original.jpeg.4e9231061be03169a22fda072f6ba5b4.jpeg

IMG_2713_Original.jpeg.5f19c833a47663183a2fff16663537d1.jpeg

IMG_2709_Original.jpeg.e83730b0b15063c630431f250c8cb662.jpeg

IMG_2707_Original.jpeg.be42e33cbdc96c9e697e95ab46941d73.jpeg

IMG_2701_Original.jpeg.fa08de153d9d7e4662d9bace6bbff7d0.jpeg

IMG_2702_Original.jpeg.d246873caebf8e1c77ffa67557659dfe.jpeg

IMG_2720_Original.jpeg

That’s fantastic! My grandfather made boilers for N&W here at the Roanoke shops from 21-52 and I’m still amazed at how they built them! 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, BobinVirginia said:

That’s fantastic! My grandfather made boilers for N&W here at the Roanoke shops from 21-52 and I’m still amazed at how they built them! 

Thanks Bob, and Kudos to your grandfather - wonderful legacy! N&W built some fantastic locomotives in-house! 

The original 1907 boiler was lap seamed which condemned it. We still have it on-site as an exhibit. The current boiler was made new in 2014. (welded with fake rivets)Boilers of this size are not cheap!

We have another Lombard in the collection dating from 1914 that has its original boiler - this one is butt-seamed. However, it hasn't been under steam for over 20 years. We are in the process of evaluating its condition. Our next step is stripping the boiler of all fittings, removing the saddle tank, gridding-off the boiler and firebox sheets and doing a comprehensive thickness survey using ultrasound equipment. Then making a determination from there. A new boiler will run upwards of 75K. Unfortunately that still won't get us on the show field at Pebble. (LOL)

IMG_2725.jpg.88e0752d746ebfe7b0eca331b9aadd21.jpg

IMG_2610.jpg.3ea49e4b67bc819698ca5deb06622f6f.jpg

This particular Lombard was used on logging operations as late as 1948. Not bad for a machine costing $5,500.00 (FOB) in 1914! Here is a photo of it that appeared in an issue of "Life Magazine" in the 1940's.

CrookerLombard1.jpg.4c807887836c9c813e09e08bc4322d54.jpg

It was recovered from a site near Fish Lake circa 1956 and eventually restored to operating condition by the late Harry Crooker. Note the steam driven electric turbine from a locomotive mounted in front of the cab. No need to worry about 6 to 12 volt conversion!

FishRiverLombard2.jpg.1e37a91411ab296b7701b05ff159dcb3.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

@Terry Harper

Thanks for sharing! It’s really neat to see and hear a steam locomotive. Like a real life fire breathing monster. The only one operable from our transportation museum is the 611 which last I recall was on loan to a different facility. It’s occasionally taken on excursions. Impressive machines 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

This morning I removed the front floor pan on my 1948 Chrysler. Most happy that this car is rust free, having spent along time in California. Easy to take thing apart. The plan is to service the fluid clutch, transmission, and to snoop around for any other things I can tangle with. Then on to the main purpose for this mission, that is the replacement of the master brake cylinder. First and foremost in my plan is to CLEAN everything that I can access as I do not enjoy working on a greasy dirty mess.

IMG_3278.jpeg

Edited by Jeff Perkins / Mn (see edit history)
  • Like 9

19 hours ago, edinmass said:

1936 Packard..........boom!

I found this inside the transmission of my '38 Century.  It turned-out to be an 'extra' spring that must have gotten away from whoever opened the transmission previously.  Fortunately, it did no damage to the gears and the pieces ultimately settled in locations away from any moving parts.

image.jpeg.4325fe9ae1fee52bf94f78147fa1b36e.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

I’ve had this car for about 1.5 years and slowly getting it sorted.  After taking a few shake down runs last fall I found some bent push rods and squeaky rocker arms.

I disassembled the valve train and found the rocker arm shafts badly worn and bushings worn in the rockers.  I sent the assembly to be rebuilt and had my lifters resurfaced at the same time.  Found a few good push rods to replace my bent ones and got it running well again.  I will continue the shake down runs and hope to fix more some issues.

IMG_5375.jpeg.bba589cf6cfd935e411f56c41b57fd15.jpegIMG_5374.jpeg.ccb7b37865a2af4466095e580f5d9aa3.jpeg 

IMG_5377.jpeg.8e20a975f1c506671bb5ae6211fb29f4.jpeg
IMG_5378.jpeg.d1ce9d8121b8c4cd9cec76740aa92d4c.jpegIMG_5379.jpeg.732aa4fe6f56cf0072faa5fe4c15060e.jpeg

Edited by Axial_Flow (see edit history)
  • Like 16

• 3 weeks later...

Steam dome covers are back on thanks to Brian and Nick making a rhubarb pie fueled drive from southern Maine.

They used an impact wrench to wind the nuts on then they are torqued down in two stages to 250 ft. lbs.

no such thing as light work on steamers!

IMG_0940.jpeg.446e0b540832f72dd95a66649f485d24.jpeg

IMG_0947.jpeg.110356bf886d7676842e92d6c24e44eb.jpeg

IMG_0953.jpeg.cc417c7c15e854c16d3054d56c865751.jpeg

IMG_0954.jpeg.fdc8124f95ad62082fd669431ae04994.jpeg

• Like 8

I'm moving out of my house and shop putting everything into storage while I build a smaller house and bigger shop.  I'm 67, work full time and yes, I should have my head examined to even consider doing all this.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Jeff Perkins / Mn said:

Next time!

Salut Bar Americain
Krewe Restaurant
Bello Cucina
Olde Brick House

Let me know if you want to eat at any of these places.. I will pm you my dates.. I do not know how close you are to these places..

One is in edina mn.

I like the Olde Brick House and Bello Cucina.

Krewe Restaurant was on TV..  maybe top chef?

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

Hmm…. It’s a beautiful,  clear and warm Memorial Day weekend up here in Northern Maine yet I have a trailer loaded down with two sets of rather big skis.

IMG_0970.jpeg.e9af00129f9c3148d3a15a0b8d07ffa4.jpeg

well… the beast will be happy this winter.

IMG_1541_Original.jpeg.b31237955808c294ebfe89f958ee5e4b.jpeg

Special thanks to the Presque Isle Tech Center Building Trades and Farm Mechanics students for fabricating these for us!

Of far more importance on this Memorial Day weekend, may God embrace all those who served this great county and made the ultimate sacrifice for our freedoms. May their families be comforted and blessed as they move forward through this mortal life.

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Working on a pad for my mini split air conditioner.

This will be nice once I install it to work on the  old cars..

I got the mini split air conditioner back in 2020..

Now the pad..

I still have to finish the insulation in the ceiling it is 3/4 done..

image.png

thumbnail_IMG_4388.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4389.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4539.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4543.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5486.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5488.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5489bb.jpg

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, nick8086 said:

Working on a pad for my mini split air conditioner.

This will be nice once I install it to work on the  old cars..

I got the mini split air conditioner back in 2020..

Now the pad..

I still have to finish the insulation in the ceiling it is 3/4 done..

image.png

thumbnail_IMG_4388.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4389.jpg

mini splits work great.  Does your garage get hot in the summer?

Today's project is this paneled staircase with a built-in bookcase. It isn't perfect but then the walls aren't perfectly straight and there is a limit, even for me, of how perfect it has to be. It will all get painted in any case and once everything is the same color the flaws tend to vanish. Besides, it's supposed to look 250 years old.

Staircase.jpg.41dc41a192162964cadf6427f4da71cc.jpg

• Like 14

Posted (edited)

Working on improved ground with new big a$$ cable going directly to my starter and getting the Delco starter rebuilt on the 40 Packard.  In 40 these cars came with either a smaller Motorcraft unit or a Delco.  I have both but putting the Delco back in as it is a more powerful unit. 

Correcting undersize ground cables, suspect cut out switch, & ground cable bolted to frame but paint not sanded off - what I know so far to fix.  

Will ground frame as well as engine once done.  Should resolve the very (even for 6 volt) slow turning once things are hot.

Once that is completed will go after vapor lock issue by installing carb heat shield, fuel line insulation & electric fuel pump.  

Oil change, clean and polish.

Lastly ordering restored door handles and a repro gas cap from John Ulrich.  

Wipers this coming winter.  But let's not rush summer! 

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Working on improved ground with new big a$$ cable going directly to my starter and getting the Delco starter rebuilt on the 40 Packard.  In 40 these cars came with either a smaller Motorcraft unit or a Delco.  I have both but putting the Delco back in as it is a more powerful unit. 

Correcting undersize ground cables, suspect cut out switch, & ground cable bolted to frame but paint not sanded off - what I know so far to fix.  

Will ground frame as well as engine once done.  Should resolve the very (even for 6 volt) slow turning once things are hot.

Once that is completed will go after vapor lock issue by installing carb heat shield, fuel line insulation & electric fuel pump.  

Oil change, clean and polish.

Lastly ordering restored door handles and a repro gas cap from John Ulrich.  

Wipers this coming winter.  But let's not rush summer! 

Steve make sure the switch is good.  I'm seeing a lot of bad ones lately.  The correct gauge cables run as short a distance as possible will make a big difference.

• Like 1

The next step on the house project...I finished the wiring for the room adjacent to this hall so I could block it in and built this bookcase into the wall. It's entirely made from salvaged boards...the siding boards from a good friend's house that he pulled off about three years ago.

Bookcase.jpg.f3d421188673eb8cc3fb5a2fc8f9c314.jpg

Even though this is the "late" end of the house the joists are still so low that I almost have to duck slightly when I mount the first step. I'm 5'9"...anyone taller would definitely have to duck. When I built this staircase the building inspector gave me a bit of grief about that until I pointed out that there were no building codes in 1757 when this end was built and what, exactly did he expect me to do about it. That settled the issue...he had absolutely no idea.

• Like 13

@JV Puleo

It baffles me how people like that inspector live in their own world with blinders on. They only look at what the little book says without a self derived determination of what’s actually in front of them. 
Heaven forbid a person take accountability for the knowledge they’re supposed to actually possess. I’m not saying all are like that and not every issue is one like yours. But obviously you’re doing quality work on something solid enough to stand for 300 years. 

Great job, looks good 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

At the time the inspector's qualification for his job was that he was the nephew of a town councilman and had "worked in construction." I think he was in his 20s so he couldn't have had all that much experience and I presume none with really old houses. I had to submit "architects" drawings for the addition I was building (I actually built the entire 2nd floor). I drew them up and then had my brother, who has a degree in architecture from Cornell although he's never worked as one, redraw them. The inspector made some changes which seriously annoyed my brother saying something like "doesn't he know anything about engineering". I replied "No."

I sent that picture to the friend that gave me the boards...he replied "I thought they were firewood."

You do have to wonder how many new houses will still be around in the 25th century.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, JV Puleo said:

At the time the inspector's qualification for his job was that he was the nephew of a town councilman and had "worked in construction." I think he was in his 20s so he couldn't have had all that much experience and I presume none with really old houses. I had to submit "architects" drawings for the addition I was building (I actually built the entire 2nd floor). I drew them up and then had my brother, who has a degree in architecture from Cornell although he's never worked as one, redraw them. The inspector made some changes which seriously annoyed my brother saying something like "doesn't he know anything about engineering". I replied "No."

I sent that picture to the friend that gave me the boards...he replied "I thought they were firewood."

It’s worse than I thought!! Unfortunately that’s the reality everywhere now in every field. Filling spots with educated idiots that read from a book with no real understanding of anything. 
Building a birdhouse is construction experience. But not quite the experience needed! lol 

• Like 4