Oh no what did I do? Now I need a new Username.

auburnseeker

With my heater in the garage on the fritz.  (it's starting to feel like a Christmas story out there fighting with that thing) I was able to get some time to polish on Victoria a bit more. ( You have to wait for the start up, then ignition then burn then cool down cycles every time you try something) So I got the hood and cowl wet sanded and buffed out.  Of course it has flaws but she really does sparkle now.  It's hard to capture in photos but a world of difference from what it was.   I still have to do the grille shell but it's got alot chips and scratches I want to touch up first once I find a correct match of paint. 

Now I'm still not sure if the heater is fixed but I may have had a frozen fuel line from condensation.  I won't tell you how annoying it is to go out in the garage to work and find the heat out and not really know what the problem is.   The only good part is I have a complete parts unit,  sitting right next to it.  Good thing as some fasteners were put in so tight at the factory I had to mangle them to get them extracted to disassemble things like the fuel pump to clean the tiny filter on the end.  I was able to rob them off the other unit.  

Hopefully now it's fixed, so I can devote more time to Victoria. 

Here are a few photos with the last taken through the windshield. 

IMG_0498.JPG

IMG_0499.JPG

IMG_0500.JPG

IMG_0501.JPG

IMG_0502.JPG

• Like 5

Nice Sun Master Distributor Tester........late 40’s to very early 50’s. A very handy dandy device. What other little garage gems do you have? Your holding out on us.........you have an open Auburn and Cord........can’t wait to see the Duesenberg your holding back........something in a one off stylish sport phaeton? Maybe something exotic like a Model X? 🤔

Just now, edinmass said:

Nice Sun Master Distributor Tester........late 40’s to very early 50’s. A very handy dandy device. What other little garage gems do you have? Your holding out on us.........you have an open Auburn and Cord........can’t wait to see the Duesenberg your holding back........something in a one off stylish sport phaeton? Maybe something exotic like a Model X? 🤔

Patience.  I can't reveal all my secrets at once.

• Like 1

I have serviced the early units like you have........they can be a challenge compared to the later 504 style.  Does it work? You should get a Herbrand HT600 for the shop also.........a must have for any pre war car guy. Look it up on google or YouTube to see it working.

Unfortunately I have never used it.  I did score the operator's manual for it in a random lot of literature I bought so that was a bonus.  It's complete and looks like it was being used as it was full of distributors when I bought it and parts but most were 60's distributors.  As you mentioned the rolling spec charts on top go up to 51 or 52 I believe.  I didn't check to see if the Auburn is on there.   I have a friend that I think knows how to use it.  I should have him show me as it would be easier than figuring out from the manual. 

I don't have a Herbrand HT600, but I will check it out.  I have some other neat period gadgets I rarely use and some I bought just in case.  Old car tools can be pretty cheap when you stumble upon them as most mechanics don't use them anymore.  I got a hell of a nice set of adjustable reamers when I bought some parts from a guy. Basically he threw them in.  I also have one of those nice Snap on pullers for pulling early steering wheels without the holes in them.  Haven't needed it since I bought it,  but after pulling the banjo wheel on my 36 Chrysler I knew I needed to find one.  

I've got the same set of Tunemaster hand helds.

I paid $85 for them back in the late 70's. But yours look a lot nicer than mine. 

Have come in handy over the years.

Good Luck and let the adventure continue.......

21 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

I actually bought that distributor machine for $100 at an antique show.  My wife thought I was nuts.  Might have been right.  Mad scientists are nuts as well,  just in a good way, well sort of. 

I used one back in the day, working as a trainee grease monkey mechanic between college semesters.   It was indispensable for setting up proper advance curves when replacing the vacuum spark advances.  Not difficult to get on to.  

Edited by Dave Henderson (see edit history)

Headlights on the lady look fine............what more can you ask for? I haven't noticed that the car even had headlights or a trunk......Just saying!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nice, but may i suggest you try same with dark green and a dark green stripe?  This is a subject car from his stock, not yours, right?  Tan vs. Yellow, and top, int. Colors a bit different.  I think dark red, maroon would certainly work, but you want to have options, right? 🙂

1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

Matt kindly did some photo shopping for me to mock her up with blackwalls and Chrome lock rings with a darker red wheel color.  Though I've been a whitewall guy I do like this look.  Better photos would have helped as well, I didn't have any good ones for him to work with. 

Randy_Tan_Top.jpg.cb4f8628f7f2a27f2fcfa91edc04048a.jpg

Please have him do a dark MAROON wheel - too orangish and/or red - aka Cool body styling you want to accent not a black car that needs a wheel's to pop 

19 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Nice, but may i suggest you try same with dark green and a dark green stripe?  This is a subject car from his stock, not yours, right?  Tan vs. Yellow, and top, int. Colors a bit different.  I think dark red, maroon would certainly work, but you want to have options, right? 🙂

NO GREEN - take my word for it via selling cars - you may love green, but when it comes time to negotiate the buyer always hates it matched to immediately limiting the marketplace as lots of people dislike green (aka Kermit the frog sings about it). 

6 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

NO GREEN - take my word for it via selling cars - you may love green, but when it comes time to negotiate the buyer always hates it matched to immediately limiting the marketplace as lots of people dislike green (aka Kermit the frog sings about it). 

I agree that you don't want a green car but with yellow you are limited to maroon/burgundy range or apple green or dark green (not medium green) stripes & wheels

John I generally get it, and maroon goes but I think in this case dark green on yellow is really appealing.  I bet Randy has this car till, well lets just say essentially forever! 😁

PS, take your feedbsck to heart tho, as we were down to a deep red brown or green on the A, but the correct green is not a knock out on the Standard roadster so thorn brown it shall be..

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

On 2/9/2020 at 5:42 PM, auburnseeker said:

I'm definitely going to have to do something with her radiator cap.  Between the pitting and poor fit. 

Here is the radiator cap lecture - One of two things happens when the cap sits up high.  The first is the worst scenario and that is someone got the radiator core an 1/8 of and the second scenario is someone did not understand how to mount the radiator shell into the radiator (possibly put too large a screw in shell  verses correct size that allows a little slop or possibly got rubber/antisqueek pads mounts wrong height on frame compounded various other issues) - not a fun project, but doable.

HERE IS THE IMPORTANT PART:  WHATEVER YOU DO TREAT THE POT METAL GRILL INSERTS WITH EXTREME CARE - EXTREMELY FRAGILE 

Sidenote:  Grill surround Reproductions currently are near unobtainium at the moment, originals rarely survive plating process, and they are very pricey when you find originals or reproduction.

As to radiator cap - my guess is someone along the way, kept the flying man ornament and the car is now running on a "parking" cap.

Good news as to caps:  Reproduction, NOS, and older restored caps, as well as replatable originals show up on ebay all the time - plus at times people make them (both in plain cap and "flying man")

Add'l Sidenote:  This sold in a  day on ebay as it is all part of hiding serious "grill" sins https://www.ebay.com/itm/1930s-Auburn-Radiator-Grille-Shell-Guard-Speedster-Coupe-Trim-Molding-Accessory/303453272924?hash=item46a7397b5c:g:8J0AAOSwBi5eJO8D

3 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

John I generally get it, and maroon goes but I think in this case dark green on yellow is really appealing.  I bet Randy has this car till, well lets just say essentially forever! 😁

No green !  I like Randy - aka why I say no green. 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

I know I like Green but have heard the green lecture over and over.  I would most likely opt for Maroon or I have seen a speedster with dark blue that looked attractive. 

I saw that grille guard the day it was listed but know the pattern makes the front look busy so I didn't give it much thought. 

Fortunately my trim looks to have ben replated though far from show it is all intact very brilliant with only a few bubbles.  I do have a small crack on the bottom piece but it looks to have a long way to go to be a break. 

I heard of the grille trim scarcity so I was happy to see it all intact and presentable for a driver local show car. 

1 minute ago, auburnseeker said:

I know I like Green but have heard the green lecture over and over.  I would most likely opt for Maroon or I have seen a speedster with dark blue that looked attractive. 

I saw that grille guard the day it was listed but know the pattern makes the front look busy so I didn't give it much thought. 

Fortunately my trim looks to have ben replated though far from show it is all intact very brilliant with only a few bubbles.  I do have a small crack on the bottom piece but it looks to have a long way to go to be a break. 

I heard of the grille trim scarcity so I was happy to see it all intact and presentable for a driver local show car. 

Usually, a good reproduction is over 1K but under $1.5K, I would say 200 plus hours of serious handwork involved to prep to chrome, some silver soldering, a little sheet metal work on the shell + repaint, and a good 1.5K PLUS in plating  = USE CARE WITH WHAT YOU HAVE !