Oh no what did I do? Now I need a new Username.

auburnseeker

Congratulations on a beautiful Auburn.  To me the convertible sedans are the best of all worlds.   The only downside of the convertible sedans, is the weight and complexity of folding the top up and down?  (I do not have first hand experience, just guessing)

What were people thinking when they bolted sealed beam headlights inside beautiful original headlights?  Hope they just used silicone to hold them in.  That would be the first thing on my "to do" list.

Congratulations again on a beautiful car!

1 hour ago, Graham Man said:

What were people thinking when they bolted sealed beam headlights inside beautiful original headlights?

I think the idea was function, safety and cost over aesthetics. Sealed beams are superior to the old bulbs and reflectors in illumination and much cheaper than resilvering reflectors.

That looks like a fantastic car. Yellow is my second favorite color after green so I would be happy as is. I agree with Steve, I hope you bring it to Rhinebeck. I've never seen an Auburn there, though there was a Cord several years ago.

1 hour ago, Graham Man said:

Congratulations on a beautiful Auburn.  To me the convertible sedans are the best of all worlds.   The only downside of the convertible sedans, is the weight and complexity of folding the top up and down?  (I do not have first hand experience, just guessing)

What were people thinking when they bolted sealed beam headlights inside beautiful original headlights?  Hope they just used silicone to hold them in.  That would be the first thing on my "to do" list.

Congratulations again on a beautiful car!

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to notice.  I thought Ed would be the first.  

I'm guessing they probably ruined the reflectors but I hope not as they are very bright inside so they weren't old and tired.  It was a day before I noticed them as I was looking everything over and not paying particular attention to them. 

I only got a few hours in cleaning up chrome and oiling door latches.  I use Fluid film.  You would be amazed how good it works and stays. 

I'm hoping a good set of reflectors if necessary won't be too bad.  Usually it's the buckets that get trashed so there should be more reflectors out there than anything.  Lenses are excellent so I have to be very gentle and not drop one.  The buckets are also very nice with only a very minor ding or two you really have to look to see and pretty good chrome so they may have even been rechromed. 

All the window garnish has been replated and window frames as well as the center posts and the big dash panel trim under the windshield. All the nickel inside is really nice and probably replated or NOS.  Gauge cluster is very original but in good shape.  

Unfortunately the top bows weren't replated when they replaced the top.  I wish they would have when they replaced the top during the refurbishment as it would have been alot cheaper.  I would say none of the chrome is "show" but nice driver

quality with some aging but still a very bright finish.  

I fear the top doesn't have alot of cycles left in it,  then I need to make a tough decision on whether to replate them or not.  I really hate to cheapen it up and paint them.  

Any guesses on what replating might cost?  Just to driver quality. 

They also replated most of the exterior chrome it appears. 

All the glass looks to have been replaced but unfortunately the windshield is cracked diagonally on the passenger side.  Something to replace some day but probably not for a while. 

I'll try to get some better interior photos tomorrow.  It's in pretty good shape front to back. 

Again not my choice of color but it's fitting and could be much worse.  I didn't see any cuts or tears and the seams all seem tight.

Only real flaw is a cigar burn mark? in the driver's door panel that will get some kind of an emblem to cover it as it's almost dead center top and looks like it could have had one there anyways. 

Lots more cleaning to do tomorrow, when hopefully I get to spend more time on it. 

Does anyone have a wrench for the Knock off hub caps or know where one can be bought? 

Randy.......don’t forget a photo of both Auburns as you promised..............I expect to see it before I go to bed tonight. 

3 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

Don't they come off with a hammer? Maybe like something from a British car made of copper.

I know they can be taken off that way,  but I saw an Auburn for Sale, might have even been one Matt had , and one of the pictures showed a wrench that obviously was for the wheels.

• Like 1

Just now, edinmass said:

Randy.......don’t forget a photo of both Auburns as you promised..............I expect to see it before I go to bed tonight. 

I spent alot of time cleaning in the garage today but wasn't able to get it done.  Tomorrow for sure I will have one for you and everyone else. 

• Like 1

I mentioned in an early post that the first thing I was assuming you’d address was the headlights.  They may be bright as is, but they are a real distraction.  Still, nothing can really take away from the looks of that car.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Does anyone have a wrench for the Knock off hub caps or know where one can be bought? 

Those are Dayton dental drive hubs, study the caps to see if the directions are stamped. Lead knockoff hammer or 2X2X12 chunk of oak with a BFH and they should come off. Opposite direction of Rudge Whitworth wires. Bob 

s-l300.jpg

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Actually that top is not long for the world so I wouldn't waste any time on dyeing it.  Unfortunately it probably means atleast a couple thousand in rechroming when i replace it.  

I was thinking maroon accents but I have to do some good analyzing of that color.  Almost looks more yellow than cream in some lighting.  

I like suggestions though.  Lots of auburns on line to see what it could look like.  

I did see one with a nave blue accent and wheels and another in maroon as mentioned without much looking.   

• Like 2

I think burgundy wheels might work. If you're replacing the top, black with dark red piping is an excellent choice. And if there are lock rings on the wheels, chrome them and install blackwalls. Add a pinstripe to match the burgundy wheels. Et voila! Instant rock star.

This is really exciting. I'm so happy for you.

• Like 2

If you are considering pin stripes as accents? Just a quick suggestion. Get some pin striping tape at almost any auto supply, do like some good painters do with masking tape, and before putting it on the car, press the sticky side to dusty cloth so that it won't stick too well. Place various widths and colors in places you may want it, and leave it for a week or three. Walk by it and look it over often. Get a feel for it. It can really help you decide what does or doesn't give you the reaction you want. 

I did something similar when restoring a model T boat-tail roadster I had several years ago. I just couldn't make up my mind whether I wanted the car to have a windshield or not. I picked up a damaged windshield of appropriate vintage, repaired it (cutting out the worst damage), and altered to fit the body. Such after-market bodies were offered originally both with and without windshields. I parked the car for a month where I could just look it over from close and far. Every few days, I would put the windshield on, or take it off. Spend a few days looking at it, then try it the other way again. It really looked good either way. But I just wasn't sure which way I preferred it. Seriously, that one took me almost six weeks. But I finally knew which way I wanted it. Eventually, I had to sell the car. But the windshield frame is still hanging in the T parts shed.

Love that Auburn! Curious to see another.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mercer09 said:

Randy,

if you dont find a wrench right away, you can make a knock off out of wood.

I am surprised there is not a wrench with the car.

Look under the seats.

I did actually look under the front seat today as I vacuumed out the car and cleaned the front seat and one of the door panels as well as polished the nickel handles and had just enough time to clean the bumpers.

Oddly enough I found a fly swatter under the front seat. LOL. I thought that was a bit strange.  I can't remember what else was there, but it wasn't car related stuff.

Maybe it's under the back seat?  Not sure if there is storage under that.  Just some junk in the trunk. 

Here are a few shots of the seat after a good cleaning. 

A little dash teaser photo as well.  I need to get one earlier in the day. I have some cleaning to do on that still. 

IMG_9314.JPG

fullsizeoutput_1764.jpeg

IMG_9322.JPG

I am starting to get a list of needed things,  Unfortunately I imagine some are near unobtanium.  

The gauges are actually pretty nice except the Temperature gauge is incorrect and the gas gauge is completely shot.  Must have been a very corrosive chemical in it as it's rusted to pieces behind the glass so much that there is a big pile of rust behind the glass part way up what's left of the face. 

If anyone has any leads it would be greatly appreciated. 

27 minutes ago, mercer09 said:

Waiting for the photo of BOTH Auburns......................PLEASE! 😎

so you bought two Auburns Randy?

this thread is very very confusing................................................

are both the same body style?

I can personally confirm there are two Auburns..........I was made aware of the first a while ago, but was sworn to secrecy..............

Looking forward to the second big reveal tomorrow...........👍

• Thanks 1