Oh no what did I do? Now I need a new Username.

auburnseeker

52 minutes ago, gossp said:

I think he got a dog named auburn but it won’t sit still for a pic with the car. 

Interesting to ponder..........a dog named a Auburn..........does that mean it doesn’t run? Sorry, a little Pierce Arrow humor tossed in.......🤡

Look at my avatar..........my dog Haggis looking at someone’s pet pig...........people think car collectors are crazy!

Would a dog named Auburn leak oil?🤔 Interesting question to ponder.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, mike brady said:

My wife has a horse named Auburn and when it leaks it really leaks !

That wouldn’t be the only part of the horse having output I would be concerned about! ................How much fun could it be to ride......after all it only has one horse power! 🐎 

• Thanks 1

Dave......not to worry......Randy will have the shed, the Chrysler, the 31 Auburn, his dad’s truck, and his wife’s landscaping all done by the end of the month........that way he can enjoy his new car without having anything hanging over his head...........😎

Randy........although the car and shed will be done by the end of February, ........I’m going to wait for my ride till later in the spring.......when it warms up a bit.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

Wait Ed a Chrysler when did I get that one?  If i did,  where did I put it?   Now I'm starting to get old.  I bought a car and don't even remember where I stuck it or what it was. 😉 

I’m gonna get in trouble for this one...........

Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth............same thing but different!   All in a good way!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

I am starting to get a list of needed things,  Unfortunately I imagine some are near unobtanium.  

The gauges are actually pretty nice except the Temperature gauge is incorrect and the gas gauge is completely shot.  Must have been a very corrosive chemical in it as it's rusted to pieces behind the glass so much that there is a big pile of rust behind the glass part way up what's left of the face. 

If anyone has any leads it would be greatly appreciated. 

Randy

The gas/oil gauge faces always rust out. I think it is due to some sort of  bromide solution in the hydrostatic fluid. if and when I get around to that particular project on my bench I'm going to try and clearcoat the crap out of the face and body.  Stan Gilliand used to have replacement faces available but only in 25 Gal the last time I checked. 1931 had a smaller tank and should be 20 Gal...at least I think that is the case!  Brian Joseph at Classic and Exotic  has replacement sight glasses and fluid kits.

Not sure about the availability of knock-off hubcap wrenches. They are pretty simple hunks of metal . If worse comes to worse , you could probably find a helpful ACD Club member to lend you one for a pattern and a brass foundry could probably cast you one. Don't use a hammer, the hubcaps are very dear and l have plenty of examples of ones that have been beaten to death due to a lack of a wrench  ( or the willpower to fish it out from under the seat !)

Very nice car by the way . If you want to save yourself a lot of work, I have the same car that is already mostly apart and all the hard work of finding the issues is already done. Maybe you want to trade straight across? I mean you've already lost out on the adventure of buying a car in boxes and bags. I could help you with that experience! 😁

The ACD Club forum has lots of good info on it as well.

I like the trunk BTW and somehow ended up with a second car just to get an original trunk with the original fitted luggage. It's a long story,but I'm sure everyone here can understand how that could happen.

Brad

On 2/2/2020 at 9:02 PM, edinmass said:

I dated a girl like that years ago.............

Like the saying goes, she is not pretty she just looks that way.  By the way as Marty says come on the Glidden in Sept. with that great looking car.  

• Like 1

On 2/3/2020 at 12:46 AM, auburnseeker said:

Well I think I atleast have the face plates if not the rings as well. Turns out someone gave me a set of sidemount covers This summer and I wasn't sure what they fit.  From what I have found on line and tried on the wheels I might just have a winning set.  

Strange how some things come to be.

As I mentioned I almost as in had cash in hand and was literally a second away from yelling out an offer on that 32 Plymouth at Hershey that probably would have taken it,  but I stopped dead.  I had this feeling there was something better waiting. 

Never expecting it to be this a few months later. 

I still have to sneak a peek when I go by the garage to make sure it's in there. 

How long does that last? 

You may need to put a smaller tire in the fender wells to get tire covers to fit - common problem with Auburns and Cords - especially as the cars look better with a larger tire on them. 

And, I would be tempted if it needs mechanical work to just fix whatever the issue and see if you can get by with it for a while otherwise - at least to be able to run it around the neighborhood.  That said though if any sort of cooling issue best just to dive in - 31-33 Auburn cylinder blocks do not grow on trees (actually, no Auburn Cylinder block grows on a tree).

On 2/3/2020 at 10:58 PM, auburnseeker said:

No whitewalls?  Bummer.   Black top is a thought.  I like the Burgundy wheel color.  I was toying around with that all along. 

Auburn's look good with whitewalls - I know everyone is "blackwall blackwall,"  but an Auburn is a flashy car for a flashy person.   My best advice is to find someone to play with Photoshop and figure out a "best" look FOR YOU. 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Wait Ed a Chrysler when did I get that one?  If i did,  where did I put it?   Now I'm starting to get old.  I bought a car and don't even remember where I stuck it or what it was. 😉 

I blame the gray hair for pulling all the memory cells out of my head. My wife says it’s age and being stubborn. 

16 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

I am starting to get a list of needed things,  Unfortunately I imagine some are near unobtanium.  

The gauges are actually pretty nice except the Temperature gauge is incorrect and the gas gauge is completely shot.  Must have been a very corrosive chemical in it as it's rusted to pieces behind the glass so much that there is a big pile of rust behind the glass part way up what's left of the face. 

If anyone has any leads it would be greatly appreciated. 

As to the gasoline gauge:  If they make the exact one you need, you are better off going reproduction via https://straight-eight.com/product-category/king-seeley-hobson-fuel-gauge/ 

As to a new a fuel gauge face I would reach out to Stan Gilliland - I do my business with Stan via email (he has a lot on his plate) using auburncordparts@yahoo.com 

Or, as to a fuel gauge face I would post to the Auburn page on the ACD Club forum verses AACA forum 

This one is a bit closer to your color scheme and I thought it was quite handsome. Owned by a fellow forum member then sold to a gentleman in Florida who restored it to #1 condition--I saw it advertised here not too long ago in the same combination.

Anyway, this worked rather well with the pale color combination. Again, note the simple pinstripe that adds a lot.

001.thumb.JPG.f44b40fb97148b5ccfcd27a2bae6f943.JPG

017.thumb.JPG.0b0d0ff557b67d778584fcbfcb34bf57.JPG  023.thumb.JPG.edb2e8d6c172e11473ed77719b303e63.JPG  038.thumb.JPG.9d0f4de47d95795743f37e1aa6fda32c.JPG  033.thumb.JPG.209d46ec60c48e0b08d6ab7029af5e28.JPG

• Like 3

My 2 cents:  I would paint like this - add the light cream paint color to the lower body belt molding and the add the light cream paint color to the edge of the fender trim.  Paint the wheels maroon and pinstripe in same color (or the lighter cream, but great belt molding so, I would go darker with a maroon pinstripe).  And,start working up a set of metal spare tire covers.  Loose the Lucas spotlights (keep the pilot ray though).  Loose the luggage trunk - quietly ask for help in obtaining the correct one - they are nice as car has limited storage space.  Whitewalls are fine - play around with Photoshop prior to considering blackwalls.  

Most of all though - just enjoy the car and do whatever first is needed to drive it around the neighborhood. 

Here is a fun picture - they have a European trunk, Marchal headlamps, and some difficulty deciding if whitewalls or not.

57048998_386062182119501_5775066945221033984_n.thumb.jpg.4fbeb552d6c8dc0a292f58ab61de4773.jpg

This is a great photo too.

51987048_10216487453077004_1937783540515078144_o.thumb.jpg.61820799e53ab8025dc1472422156aed.jpg

This is out of the family photo album - I do not know the story behind it. 

SCAN_PIC0001.thumb.jpg.8b60addf6a9ef40f90667a760af0df46.jpg

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, mercer09 said:

oh OK Steve

no, I wasnt drinking. was just thinking Randy was cornering the market on 31 Auburns. you know, a tuffer one deal!

I can personally confirm and attest the other Auburn is a newer model!🤔

think - 8 FIVE 1 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Future wedding car, time does fly by. 

dont say things like that to a dad, it messes with us. 

... for the record, I am feeling like a bit of a Richard for all the dog jokes. 

Edited by gossp (see edit history)
  • Haha 2