Replacing Core Plug on '41 Super Without Pulling Engine?

neil morse

One of the core plugs on my '41 has started leaking small amounts of coolant.  I first noticed how bad it looked when I was investigating a coolant leak last April.  Here's a pic of what it looked like then.  It wasn't leaking at the time, but it's obvious that it had leaked in the past.

bad_core_plug.jpg.00b3d320c2e4b1d1a9a2c0568c18a098.jpg

Here's what it looks like now.  It's probably leaking about a cup of coolant a month right now.

bad_core_plug2.thumb.jpg.21400edddce1f9dd9944d7ab0ef9769e.jpg

It's located right under the place where the rear arm of the "Y" exhaust connector joins the exhaust manifold.

So --- is it possible to fix this without pulling the engine?  Has anyone done it?  Related question: Are the "expanding" type replacement plugs that are made for a short-cut core plug repair any good?  Pulling the engine on my car would obviously me a major headache, and I would very much like to avoid it if possible.  However, I don't want to have a catastrophic failure of the plug either.  Any advice would be most appreciated!

Neil

Edited by neil morse (see edit history)

Yikes, that stinks Neil. I've used the expanding core plugs and while I don't think they should be considered a permanent solution, I also don't think that an old car places much of a demand on them. Besides, if you know it's there, you'll keep an eye on things and deal with the problem later should it arise. They're not the best solution, but given that the alternative is to either disassemble the intake/exhaust system or remove the engine, I think it's worth a shot.

Your best chance at success is to get the old one out and then clean the entire area as best as you can, making sure the walls of the opening where the expanding plug will be are as smooth and round as possible. If it's rough or irregular, it'll be tough to seal. The expanding plugs are also the kinds of things where too tight is too tight. Snug it up and then tighten it only enough to stop it from leaking. After a few heat cycles, check it again, and then keep an eye on it to see if it's coming undone. 

This is a solvable problem that shouldn't be catastrophic. Wait until you need to do it to tackle the really awful job.

Keep us posted!

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Matt's recommendation is as sound as you can get.  I've used rubber expanding plugs on a daily driver junker that I drove in college for years.  No telling how long it will last, but guessing better than five years so keeping an eye on it is essential.

Thanks for the quick responses, Matt and Ken.  I really appreciate your advice and assistance.

Assuming that I go with the expansion-type replacement plug, I see that there are two basic types: rubber (or neoprene) and copper.  It's discussed in the blog post I've linked to below.  The guy (who seems to know what he's talking about) says, "I have had bad luck with the rubber type: they blow back out quite often. I have had good results with the copper type (made by Dorman)."

http://econofix.com/frezplug.html

Do you guys have an opinion on this question?

Also, I haven't tried to get a hand in there from underneath, but I don't think I can avoid having to at least disassemble the intake/exhaust system, even to stick an expansion-type plug in there.  There is very little access to that spot (of course).  I will do some more exploratory work and let you know.  I haven't tried to do anything but photograph it because when I showed the pics I took last April to Don Micheletti, the first thing he said was, "Neil, whatever you do, don't try to clean up the area -- you'll just make it worse."  Well, I didn't have to make it worse, it got there on its own.  (Not that I'm surprised.)

I always use the copper ones. There's some debate over whether you should put any sealer around the perimeter. I like to install them dry but Dr. Francini liked to put a little black RTV around the edges to help seal up any pinholes. I suppose it can't hurt, right? Just not too much, only a skim coat on the edge.

rnb-568-011_ml.jpg

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-568-011/overview/

• Like 1

Thanks, Matt.  That's just what I needed to know.  I will keep you posted.

I'm just about to embark on a transmission job with Don's help, so this will be a good time to do the plug job as well.

Neil

I put one of the expanding plugs in my 1962 International Scout engine.  The 4 cyl 152 cu in engine has a plug directly under the exhaust manifold.  Anyway it has been in place for about 15 years now and has not leaked even a drop.  I put it in dry.   I drove it across the Utah salt flats and thru the southern California deserts during summer with no problems

• Like 4

On my 1937 Special  I removed the manifolds, took out the old plugs and just put in new steel plugs instead of an expansion plug. Surprised me that it wasn't as hard as I expected. I figured if the original steel plugs lasted +/-  70 years the new ones should last my lifetime.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 1937-44 said:

On my 1937 Special  I removed the manifolds, took out the old plugs and just put in new steel plugs instead of an expansion plug. Surprised me that it wasn't as hard as I expected. I figured if the original steel plugs lasted +/-  70 years the new ones should last my lifetime.

So you had room to swing a hammer between the engine and the fender well?  That's what's concerning me.

I would recommend doing all you can to avoid removing the manifolds for this job. They can be removed as an assembly, but they'll still move around. Getting them sealed back on the block may be problematic and if they're even a little cracked, removing them can make it worse. It may be sufficient to remove the exhaust pipe from the manifolds to buy yourself some space and work from below. The expanding plugs don't need much room if you can get a pair of wrenches in there, or a wrench and an air socket. If that doesn't work, there are also air-powered close-quarters palm hammers that you might be able to use to drive in a new plug so you don't have to swing a big hammer. Check it out:

PMPN_12070_600.jpg

If your manifolds don't leak, please do all you can to leave them alone. If they absolutely must come off, get an entirely new gasket set for the manifolds and reinstall carefully. I might even disassemble them at that point and even have them surfaced just to make sure the seal is good.

Let us know how it goes. Good luck!

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Two comments. 

All your core plugs are in a race to disappear and this one just happens to be in the lead.  The others are still in the race and will follow. But we’ve all been where you are at some time or another. 

I once used a very large ‘C’ shaped valve spring compressor to install a plug in a difficult location on another type of engine where I could not swing a hammer.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, neil morse said:

So you had room to swing a hammer between the engine and the fender well? 

On a 37 Special there was enough room, but as I recall it was more tapping in then it was pounding in. 

The main reason I removed the manifolds was for the removal of the old plugs. I couldn't figure out a way to get the plug out I needed to replace with the manifold in place. Having one piece manifolds is one advantage of the smaller engine.

Edited by 1937-44 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Keep in mind that if one failed the others will follow sooner than later. I faced that with my '51 Super. Only one was bad but I knew they all should be replaced with regular steel plugs. Yes, the manifold is a pain to remove but there is no other way around it. It comes off easy but will probably need re-surfacing and planning as warping is common. Not a big deal for most machine shops. My engine is a 263 cu in. I removed it as one unit, intake and exhaust manifold bolted together.

After removal, access was easy. There are many ways to remove the plugs but I had a friend use his welder to drop a few beads on the plugs then quench with water. The contraction then allowed the plug to basically drop out in one piece with minimal coaxing. The worst plug was so paper thin I just scraped it out.

For installation you can use a socket large enough to cover the diameter of the plug then tap it in or there are specialty plug installing tools (maybe rent one). This is a GREAT time to clean out the water passages. I took out tons of rust particles with a long handle magnet. I reinstalled the trued up manifold using high quality composite gaskets. 

A fair amount of work but surely worth it. 

IMG_1368.jpeg

IMG_1428.jpeg

• Like 5

Removing the manifold is made quite easy with the use of a hoist. I positioned my manifold under an I beam rolling chain hoist in my garage but you can rent an engine puller hoist for this job as well. I put a couple of hold down straps under the manifolds which I did not separate and then unbolted the assembly. It was then easy to pull away the manifold and lift it . I left it hanging and cleaned up the surfaces and gave it a paint job. All the freeze plugs were exposed for easy access and reinstalling and positioning the very heavy manifold was a breeze not having to wrestle the heavy ungainly hunk around. An intimidating job was made easy and simple using a hoist. Why not take the opportunity to refresh your manifold gaskets  paint your block as well and change all your block plugs the right way with plenty of room to work. 

• Like 3

Neil:

I went thru this as well as few years ago. I did manage to get the plug out without removing the manifolds (not at all a pleasant job), and used the expanding  rubber replacement. It is still on there several years later. In the end I did have to take off the manifold and head for a valve and ring job, but that was almost a year later.

Cheers, Dave

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

An update on my problem, and the news is not good!  The original problem I posted about was the rear-most of the three core plugs on the left side of the engine.  The two front plugs looked completely normal.  Here's what it looked like in photos from March of 2019.

engine_left_side4.jpg.abbfbd483d5ff3e02a5ca07bd544051f.jpg

engine_left_side3.jpg.1973a87b013174acc0083314c2ef111f.jpg

Now the two front plugs look even worse than the rear one!

coreplug4.jpg.bc41cbe0ba155b7f35fcadc76f251bc4.jpg

coreplug5.jpg.84acb2d58f6f4899b2598efbab9a2f8e.jpg

I clearly can no longer put off doing something about this.  Does anyone have any idea what could be causing the rapid deterioration of these plugs?  I've driven the car about 3K miles in the period between the two sets of photos.

Neil, I know from living in the salt belt that corrosion, like termites, can cause unseen damage in concealed areas that only shows when the extent of damage becomes visible as you witnessed in your photos.  It is possible and to be purely speculative, the antifreeze that you use and which has anticorrosion properties has exceeded its' service life.  If that was true, then corrosion could advance more rapidly.  How old is your antifreeze?

Here's where I put a target on my chest:  you can pop those rusted plugs out and use the rubber expanding plugs to bide your time.  Many say that these are purely temporary; they are, but in the era where I was struggling to properly maintain a car, I got that type of plug to last three years.

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick response, Ken.  I'm using 50-50 coolant that was last changed out when I installed a new water pump about two-and-a-half years ago.  But I have topped it up with plain water several times during that period.  Anyway, that's all "water under the bridge" (pun intended) at this point as the time for the job has clearly come.

This stinks, I'm sorry Neil. But you know what to do and how to do it. I've learned recently on my other project that sometimes you know what needs to be done, you know how to do it, you just don't want to do it. Ultimately, it turns out to be not as big a deal as you expect. Hopefully that's the case here. It's also a chance to address other details before they have a chance to go south, like the manifold gaskets. I removed and installed mine several times during the header construction and it wasn't all that bad. I'd recommend the Remflex gaskets which may eliminate the need to do any machining to the mating surfaces. You might be able to remove it as an assembly and minimize the disruption to the whole system. 

You know what to do. Gird your loins and do it!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

I've learned recently on my other project that sometimes you know what needs to be done, you know how to do it, you just don't want to do it. Ultimately, it turns out to be not as big a deal as you expect. Hopefully that's the case here.

As you often do, I think you have hit the nail on the head here.  Thank you for the encouragement.  As a relative newbie, I have a tendency to think various projects are going to be more difficult than they are.  So far, almost all of them have turned out to be much less trouble than I thought they would be.  I hope this is the case here, as you say.  I will keep everyone posted as I go forward.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Daves1940Buick56S said:

For a data point, I am still using the expandable plugs I installed in 2012 as detailed earlier in this thread. Almost 10 years later and they are still fine.

Thank you for that information, Dave!

Hi Neil!

When you finish the plug change, may I recommend using a bottle of "NO ROSION" additive to your 50/50 antifreeze.  I use it in every one of my vehicles to hopefully prevent future rust/corrosion......  

Good luck with the project.  You got this!

iu.jpeg.7dff5f7408ece6315a098d03f82f8472.jpeg

Gary

• Like 1

I used DORMAN  555-040 which are 1.953"

IMG_1253.jpg.c06965dd58fbf62cab9bc0cb9d7cc67d.jpg

IMG_1252.jpg.1e74c3ff326716b76b2e656ac3056b99.jpg

2144473454_ScreenShot2022-01-25at8_30_45PM.png.1ee70a32920389d8e0b7f909c403a27a.png

Neil

If you send me your address I can send you them.  I have four or five here from the build.

Gary

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Okay, after a lot of helpful consultation with knowledgeable folks, I have decided on a plan.  We will leave the manifolds in place and pull the cylinder head.  This will give access to all the core plugs, including the one in the rear of the head that's right up against the firewall, and also avoid the danger of cracking the manifolds and/or having to plane them.  For people interested in "the rest of the story," I will post a detailed report in my thread on the "Me and My Buick" forum when I get everything I need assembled for the job.

Edited by neil morse (see edit history)
  • Like 2

While you're at it, check between the firewall and the back of the engine for one more plug.  When I replaced all the plugs in my 29 Buick Standard, I found a plug at the rear of the block that could not be reached from the engine side.  I looked under the dash and found a flap in the firewall to access the plug.  A previous owner/mechanic drilled a U pattern of holes & cuts between the holes to make the flap.  

Maybe you will be lucky too!

Thanks, Mark, but I have been assured by a reliable source that the '41 248 has only four plugs -- the three on the left side and a fourth at the rear of the head.  I've heard stories about people cutting a hole in the firewall to get at that fourth one, but I think we've come up with a better solution!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

For anyone interested in "the rest of the story," I have continued discussion of this project on my thread in the "Me and My Buick" forum here (click on arrow in upper right hand corner to go the right post):