What state is best to own and drive a classic car in?

kfle

22 hours ago, mercer09 said:

Tex, I was told chips needs to come out and inspect antiques. That has just happened in the last couple of years. Is that only new registrations on antiques?

I have not experienced that and I have newly registered two cars as antiques and converted another from normal plates to antique within the last three years. All this was done very easily at the local DMV office, but I had good titles and bills of sale for all the vehicles. I have heard of the DPS doing inspections of engine numbers and body numbers on older vehicles without VIN's where there were title discrepancies or no title but I have no first hand knowledge.

• Like 1

Thanks for the link to the article, kfle. Very interesting and informative.

My state of Nebraska is ranked very high (as are others in the region) and I think it largely deserves that, but there are some negative points missed by the article. While the state of Nebraska may not salt roads in winter, Omaha and Lincoln (where close to half the state's population resides) sure do.  My 2006 Chrysler T&C even has some rust through. I think the interstate gets salt, too. It wasn't until I got back into collectible old cars 15 years ago that I discovered that some people have an impression of old Nebraska cars being low on rust. Up until that time, I always considered old Nebraska cars to be rust buckets...and half of them are.

On 7/24/2019 at 12:07 PM, Xander Wildeisen said:

If a person has a business building/restoring classic cars. Does any State require a business license to do this?

In Virginia it is up to the locality (city or county [there are NOT the same in our Commonwealth]} to require a business license. 

The state tax people talk to the IRS, so if you operate a business and declare it on your 1040, then the state knows and lets the locality know.......😉

• Thanks 1

In PA it depends on where you are located. At a minimum you need a license to collect and remit Sales Taxes. No such thing as a statewide Business License. Also antique restoration is different from modern car repair in that the business does not have to provide the customer with a binding estimate. You also have to register your business name with the state if it's fictitious. Bob Smith's Restoration would not need to be registered but Show Quality Restorations would. 

• Thanks 1

I think Wisconsin is highly underrated at 26.

I'm nitpicking but only 3 counties in SE Wisconsin pay an additional .1% stadium sales tax.

I still have three cars licensed as COLLECTOR cars for which I will never pay another cent......ever.

Having an ANTIQUE license plate comes with extremely limited permitted usage, specifically going to and from shows, parades and maintenance (wink).

Needless to say when I had my Model T's licensed as antiques they got a LOT of maintenance but my '27 T now carries COLLECTOR plates too.

One can get nearly everywhere via back roads of which there are plenty.

They ARE right about the 7 month driving season though It CAN run into December.

No self respecting collector drives their cars after salt hits the roads and until the roads are salt free again.

We have NO collector car inspections (25 years old or older) or other requirements and, as mentioned, a vehicle without a title is NOT a death knell here any more.

On 7/23/2019 at 7:27 AM, MCHinson said:

They apparently did not have a way of giving any points for the $500 cap on valuation for computing property tax on antique vehicles in NC.

Matt, you are correct except several counties (Mecklenburg for one) do not honor that law.  They have created requirements over and above the law for the cap to apply. 

Edited by 61polara (see edit history)

Makes sense.  It’s pretty easy here in KY (#2).  I bought an out of state car without a title and had one in less than 30 days with simple paperwork.  My current annual governmental cost of 2 cars is less than $50.  The only down side (which is not in their criteria) is the overall popularity and support of the (very) old car hobby.  Once you get older than muscle cars, seeing anything remotely original is rare.  Likewise, there are few places that can work on them.

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)

41 minutes ago, 61polara said:

Matt, you are correct except several counties (Mecklenburg for one) do not honor that law.  They have created requirements over and above the law for the cap to apply. 

They can't legally do that. New Hanover also likes to ignore the value and require an owner to fill out a form every few years to certify that the car is used for hobby purposes to get that value. As long as you appeal any property tax value over $500 your county will have to abide by the law. I too have had my county send me a bill for the wrong amount and have had to appeal to get it returned to the statutory value.

23 minutes ago, MCHinson said:

As long as you appeal any property tax value over $500 your county will have to abide by the law. I too have had my county send me a bill for the wrong amount and have had to appeal to get it returned to the statutory value.

Mecklenburg Co. requires a antique tag (which now is not more than a vanity tag in NC) on the vehicle and ask how many times the car was shown in a show in the last year.  They will turn down the appeal if they believe the car was not shown enough times in the past year.  They won't tell you how many times they believe it should be shown, but we have figured out that the number is at least three times based on what has been denied.  There are other questions as well.

Seems to me that ownership is the easy part of our hobby. The hard part is maintenance, and the time available and having the place to enjoy our cars. What's readily apparent is that the vast majority of those responding support where they live, and think that their state should be be rated more highly. That's the way it should be, so enjoy  what you have.

Polls like these are only there to stir up interest, and to promote controversy. It seems like it has done it's job.

3 minutes ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

Seems to me that ownership is the easy part of our hobby. The hard part is maintenance, and the time available and having the place to enjoy our cars. What's readily apparent is that the vast majority of those responding support where they live, and think that their state should be be rated more highly. That's the way it should be, so enjoy  what you have.

Polls like these are only there to stir up interest, and to promote controversy. It seems like it has done it's job.

Seems to me the restoration part is the hard part, while the maintenance is very easy for me.

Pfeil,

A point well taken. That's why the hobby has moved away from restoration. Unless it's a very rare and desirable car, few of us old time hobbyists, go there with any resolve. Some of us made the choice, long ago, and traded in the scarce resources of time and money for our place in the sun. 

I've been there and done that. I really do appreciate the restoration work to which some are still dedicated. Component restoration is the exception, but the number of people doing full restorations is very small. 

• Like 1

Let's just say that any list that finds Ohio and Wisconsin  better than Florida never had to deal with rust. True some areas get salt spray but I avoid those. BTW that "import fee" only applies if you do not have a plate to transfer. That said for the 100 days of summer convertible are best driven at night.

Gimme a break snowbirds,

If you can't jump into your antique and go for a ride any day of the year like here in Florida your state is a loser.

How 'bout we post pictures of how much fun you and your prized car are having on the road in January?

FLORIDA CARTOON.jpeg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mister2tim said:

Gimme a break snowbirds,

If you can't jump into your antique and go for a ride any day of the year like here in Florida your state is a loser.

How 'bout we post pictures of how much fun you and your prized car are having on the road in January?

FLORIDA CARTOON.jpeg

There is a lot more to consider besides snow to a car person. Just ask a former California native who left because paradise was mismanaged and lost. 

1 hour ago, mister2tim said:

I drive mine every January. If Florida is so great how come it finished #30 in the Hemmings survey? By the way Kentucky was #2.... :D

2 hours ago, Pfeil said:

There is a lot more to consider besides snow to a car person. Just ask a former California native who left because paradise was mismanaged and lost. 

Good point.

And from what I've read from others' comments here

and in AACA regional newsletters, Florida is no fun for

old cars in the hot, humid, sweltering summer months.

People have told me that old-car activity pretty much

ceases during the summer--just when the days are long,

and northerners are enjoying their 70-degree evenings

when it's light until 9 or 10 p.m.!

Myself, I love snow, and work on other things until

old-car season blossoms again in the spring.

21 hours ago, Pfeil said:

Or December?

Getting the tree is special. too.

01717.thumb.jpg.8e71df7ca9226fe9a89d8b86ca74a9d2.jpg

By the way, we have a road named wood chuck alley, but nothing even close the "Rat Mouth".

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 1