Off-track comments regarding Earl's 1939 Buick, and didn't want to delete them.

1912Staver

14 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Ok, Maybe I was thinking power door locks, check out that option availability please. Bob 

I  believe it was also 1982, or perhaps a year earlier for power locks. 

It is rather odd Ford and Dodge waited so long to offer power windows and locks on their light trucks as GM made them optional starting with the 1977 model year.

Craug

2 hours ago, Dynaflash8 said:

I just bought an Android last Friday.  Driving....ahh.....driving me crazy.  On the side tell me how you can gauge the real vehicle speed with one of these damned smart phones.  

There’s a speedo ap. The one I use is called SpeedTracker. It comes in handy when your car’s speedometer is in KM/hr.

15 hours ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

I'm not trying to take sides, just restore a little balance to the truck talk-which by all rights probably should have it's own thread. My nephew is a certified Ford diesel mechanic, and who is the best mechanic I know. He no longer works in the industry, but he can give an in-depth critique of anything out there. When Jon talks people listen, I know I do. So what does he drive and why? The truck he bought new is a 1996 Dodge. The other is a Dodge that he picked up, for little or nothing. It was a well used work truck with 350K on the odometer, when he got it. The first truck is in beautiful condition showing over 200K . The work truck shows 500K. Neither engine has ever had any major work done to it. So why does Ford diesel mechanic drive Dodges? In his words it's because of the "Cummins."  

at the risk of staying on the truck topic  :wacko:

My brother is a Ford diesel mechanic.  He too drives a 12 valve Cummins. 

I like this thread.  It's not much different than a conversation at a car show.  I can see myself and Earl talking about his wonderful car, then moving along to what he uses to haul with.  Good talk!  :)

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Dynaflash8 said:

I just bought an Android last Friday.  Driving....ahh.....driving me crazy.  On the side tell me how you can gauge the real vehicle speed with one of these damned smart phones.  I solved that problem with my 41 Buick by converting only my radio to 12v and putting a plug on the side so I could plug in my RadioShack GPS.  It cost over $500, but I've been considering it for the blue '39 Buick..  Instead I can get GPS on this new Android cell phone, but I don't know how to gauge speed with it....Send me some info (in a side message).  This thread I started is so far off track we'll never get back.  I might as well add to it though.  I have a 2007 Chevrolet Suburban 3/4 ton 6.0 engine.  It won't pull the hat off your head and pulling my 24-foot trailer will barely ever make it to 8.0.  I'd buy something else, but it's too late in the game.

Look up either speedometer or navigation on the Android Play Store and you'll find a number of apps that can use the GPS to display speed, etc. I like OsmAnd and Maps.me for navigation as they use downloaded maps so I don't need mobile data for them to work (you won't have traffic information which requires data). OsmAnd can be setup to show your current speed as well as the map.

To power the cell phone the easiest way is to just get a separate USB battery. But it is, in the long run, more convenient to have power from the car. On my '33 I hid a 6v+ to 12v- inverter from Custom Autosound, cost about $60 (far less than $500). I use it to power an accessory plug clamped to the bottom of my dash. Then I just use the same 12v to USB adaptors people use in newer cars. So far, a couple of years now, that has worked just fine.

One of the most popular and easy to use apps for reading OBD II on an Android platform is Torque.

You can add manufacturer specific PIDs to read everything from oil temp to trans temp and boost levels in forced induction vehicles.

1 hour ago, zepher said:

One of the most popular and easy to use apps for reading OBD II on an Android platform is Torque.

You can add manufacturer specific PIDs to read everything from oil temp to trans temp and boost levels in forced induction vehicles.

I've got a Bluetooth ODB II device that just lives plugged into the ODB port in my newer car. I use Torque (Lite) and Hybrid Assistant on my Android phone from time to time to see what the car is doing. The cost of the Bluetooth device is much less than most (all?) the dedicated ODB II readers I've looked at so it seemed a "no brainer" to get the Bluetooth device rather than a dedicated ODB tool.

Thanks for resetting the focus for Earl's 1939 Buick thread!  It seems to be easy enough to start a new topic or even comment in an existing one to say "go to this topic to read more about a different subject" . Running any commentary about any subject in one post just doesn't seem to make sense - at least to me it doesn't. Thank you again. I love Matt's post here and what West states as well. Thanks Guys!

50 minutes ago, Dynaflash8 said:

So what happened to the first 160 replies to my post?  I guess one of the monitors had an overactive sense of emmergency.  Well, maybe I won't post anymore.  It kind of stinks, but who am I to say

Nothing happened to them. When a moderator removed the last three pages of off topic comments, your original discussion fell down a bit from the top. I just replied to that topic to move it back to the top to help you find it. 

On 5/15/2019 at 9:19 PM, Grimy said:

Early on I installed Mag-Hytec finned aluminum trans pan (added 8 qts to capacity) and diff cover (brought capacity from 4 qts to 7.5), and I attribute the trans and diff longevity to those items.  

Increasing the the standard depth transmission on on a first generation 7.3 PSD 2WD to a standard 4WD that has a drain plug and more capacity is best.

The rear differential cover is the best design - independent testing shows increasing capacity by changing out the cover actually starves the ring & pinon from lubrication.

My daily tow vehicle has always been first generation 7.3 PSD CC Dually.

Jim

I hope to be trailering home a pre-war 1938 Plymouth soon. Tow vehicle? My 1998 Ram 4x4 24 Valve Cummins! 

Hittin’ it outta the park, with a real truck and car.  Lol. (Sorry, no the Ram cannot accept a wet saw over the side rails). But pull? It does me well. 

12 hours ago, Trulyvintage said:

The rear differential cover is the best design - independent testing shows increasing capacity by changing out the cover actually starves the ring & pinon from lubrication.

Thanks, Jim.  I trust you mean that the OEM diff cover is the best design.  Can you help me find the "independent testing" results, other than the Gale Banks videos?  I'm due for a diff fluid change before the summer, and will change back to my OEM diff cover if the tests are convincing.

I have viewed several videos that utilize a lexan type plastic in place of the cover and lights inside that clearly show fluid being directed away from the ring & pinon in a aftermarket deep cover.

I also switched from 75/140 Royal Purple synthetic diff oil to Walmart 85/140 synthetic diff oil.

Jim