What is it?

countrytravler

On the thought that Chrysler may also have used this body also,  is it possible that it is a Chrysler instead of a DeSoto?  It looks like it could be an Imperial because of its apparent length.  In addition, the grille bars look vertical rather than horizontal as on the DeSoto.    

9 minutes ago, Dave Henderson said:

On the thought that Chrysler may also have used this body also,  is it possible that it is a Chrysler instead of a DeSoto?  It looks like it could be an Imperial because of its apparent length.  In addition, the grille bars look vertical rather than horizontal as on the DeSoto.    

I think you are correct. the belt molding has more lines than the DeSoto....

1933 Chrysler convertible.jpg

Definitely not an Imperial as they did not have a 2 door conv sedan.. A friend had a 1932 DeSoto conv. sedan 40 years ago, great driving cars. I believe that the 6 cylinder Chrysler of the same vintage shared the body as well and possibly the 1932 Plymouth model PB. or at least the main sheet metal body panels, seat and window frames and other body hardware etc.

3 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Definitely not an Imperial as they did not have a 2 door conv sedan.. A friend had a 1932 DeSoto conv. sedan 40 years ago, great driving cars. I believe that the 6 cylinder Chrysler of the same vintage shared the body as well and possibly the 1932 Plymouth model PB. or at least the main sheet metal body panels, seat and window frames and other body hardware etc.

Like the Chrysler CO photo I posted.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

The 1933 Chrysler Convertible Sedan (2-door), the CO (6 cyl) had 116.5"WB and CT (8 cyl) had 119.5"WB. Dammann book indicates 207 CO's in this style were built, and 257 CT's, so with a usual survival rate around 1%-2%, not likely many of these around in either version. As mentioned, the Imperial Eight (CQ) Convertible Sedan was a 4 door model, 126"WB, of which 364 were built.

• Like 1

Car pictured is mine, it is a 33 CT conv sedan and qualifies me as nuts, stupid or both. Major job, but atleast i am saving one from the scrap or street rod. Bill that 30 Chrysler in the door is a CJ Sport Coupe. Also working on a 31 CD 3rd series Royal 5pass Coupe that was seen on this sight a few years back. That car is now in color and will be going back on the frame sometime this summer. Photos will be forthcoming. Another major job but worth the effort. I must be crazy........Rob

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, vintchry said:

Car pictured is mine, it is a 33 CT conv sedan and qualifies me as nuts, stupid or both. Major job, but atleast i am saving one from the scrap or street rod. Bill that 30 Chrysler in the door is a CJ Sport Coupe. Also working on a 31 CD 3rd series Royal 5pass Coupe that was seen on this sight a few years back. That car is now in color and will be going back on the frame sometime this summer. Photos will be forthcoming. Another major job but worth the effort. I must be crazy........Rob

What is the story on the damage and restoration, is the body going on a better chassis? Bob 

Bob, yes the chassis is done, found a fully restored drive line including frame and bought it. This frame is amazing, very well done and very accurate. Found another cowl section, we took the top windshield section off the old cowl and welded it on the replacement cowl. This was done originally in production. The car was a restored vehicle, went thru a garage fire, and not only was there fire/heat damage, the building collapsed on it and crushed everything. We are able to reuse the inner structure of the body and will be making a new outer skin on most of it. I am waiting to finish up the 31 project before continuing on the 33 project. Thanks for the interest. Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vintchry said:

Bob, yes the chassis is done, found a fully restored drive line including frame and bought it. This frame is amazing, very well done and very accurate. Found another cowl section, we took the top windshield section off the old cowl and welded it on the replacement cowl. This was done originally in production. The car was a restored vehicle, went thru a garage fire, and not only was there fire/heat damage, the building collapsed on it and crushed everything. We are able to reuse the inner structure of the body and will be making a new outer skin on most of it. I am waiting to finish up the 31 project before continuing on the 33 project. Thanks for the interest. Rob

You, sir are my new hero.

Rob, you sure temper my daring with a project like that.  My car wasn't in a fire and collapsed building, but someone shoved it over a hill and watched it roll to the bottom.  Good luck with your work.

Hi Rob, didn't see this beauty when we were there last spring, keepng the good stuff well hidden! And I thought my Roadster was a basket case. Good luck mate, with your knowledge, skills, and access to parts and special trades, I'm sure it will be a stunner.