Internal engine painting

JustDave

In the late 60s I worked for an old man,he was a machinist and an engine builder,after hot tanking an engine he would mask cylinder bores and mainbearing journals and paint the inside of the engine with rustoleumn,is it still a good practice if so what paint are people using now,do we clean it differently,    Thanks dave

As others have stated it was probably Glyptal and not Rustoleum paint. Before you decide to coat the inside of your engine, think about the millions of car engines that don't have it and are running great. I have rebuilt probably a dozen or so engines and all are running well and I have never coated any of them. Coating the interior of a stock engine, won't do anything for improved engine oil flow. If you are thinking about coating the interior of your engine, do not use paint. You are only asking for trouble. If you do use Glyptal, don't cut corners and follow the instructions exactly as instructed.

Pre war high end engines were painted inside, as well as transmissions and rear ends. It was done to stop the early oil from producing excess sludge, and help prevent porous castings from leaking. We still do it on all our builds. 

1 hour ago, Spinneyhill said:

How did it do that? My reading is that sludge formed as the oil broke down in shear?

Spinny.....my fault, not expressing a correct and clear thought. It prevents it from sticking to the block, it did not prevent it from forming. It held the contaminated particles in suspension. It was certainly temperature related also, running the motors hotter prevented build up. 

Earliest I have encountered on antique car engine and gearbox that I know have never been "beeped"-around by enthusiasts is my 1911 4 cyl  left hand rotation Type 38 Napier.   It is a bright aluminium paint similar to what Protec in Adelaide used to sell in pressure pack spray cans, that was American manufacture of brand I do not know.   Those Napier aluminium castings also carry multiple fine hammer dots where they seem to have checked for any casting fault that could be detected audibly when the casting was struck with their pin-point hammer